Any authors

dakcp2001

<font color=darkorchid>Am I wrong to want a cashie
I have a great idea for a book and it is pretty unique. I have the outline and all the things I would like to include. Once you write a book, how do you go about getting it published? How do you keep someone for stealing your idea and then turning you down? It is a lot of work, but I am going to go ahead and write it, even if it never goes anywhere.

I have a great idea for a book and it is pretty unique. I have the outline and all the things I would like to include. Once you write a book, how do you go about getting it published? How do you keep someone for stealing your idea and then turning you down? It is a lot of work, but I am going to go ahead and write it, even if it never goes anywhere.

You can self publish on the Amazon Kindle store, I know a few people who have done this.

You try to get an agent, who would submit your book to publishers in hopes of selling it.

You've already written the book, so stealing the idea wouldn't do them any good, you could sue anyone who tried to replicate it.

Yes, join us!

In my opinion, writing the book is only a small part of the "dirty work". If you decide to self-publish, you'd better have a very quality product or it will likely get lost among the 11 million other books on Amazon. If you would like to go the traditional route, once you have your manuscript, you can either query agents or publishers directly (some bigger houses are open to submissions by a reputable agent only, and an agent can help you negotiate a better deal). There is plenty of info online about this. Research, research, research, before you send anything out.

If you are professional and knowledgable about the industry, and can show you have realistic expectations, you are already above 95% of the submissions agents and editors receive. Pretty much everybody thinks they have a publishable novel in them, but very few people have the tenacity, patience, and talent it takes to get there.

Have a copy editor/proofreader look at it before you submit it anywhere. E.g., a phrase like "pretty unique" should never be used anywhere. Something is either unique or not unique.

Have a copy editor/proofreader look at it before you submit it anywhere. E.g., a phrase like "pretty unique" should never be used anywhere. Something is either unique or not unique.

Wow. That was harsh. We all say things when we talk that we might not use when writing. No wonder people are reluctant to ask question here. Why the need to tear the OP apart? Wouldn't the world be a better place if we were supportive of each other instead of looking for something to criticize?

While yes, adhering to rules of grammar and usage are important when submitting a draft to an agent or editor, it's not everything. Sure, you don't want your manuscript to be a hot mess, but publishing professionals are, above all, looking for a good, unique story. The odd small mistake here or there certainly won't deter them if they love the story. After all, they pay an entire department to do the copy-editing. Manuscripts that have been revised countless times routinely come back from that department covered in red ink-- it's quite normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter