Anti-cruise group flooding CDC to extend the no-sail order

Honestly I wouldn't worry about these anti cruise groups sending in all these comments. The people compiling the comments for the CDC will not take any notice of them. It will be so easy to separate them from the genuine comments from individuals. The cruise industry are well aware of these anti cruise groups and they will be ignored.

I agree with this. They would respond that these comments are out of scope.

They are asking too much and being unreasonable, IMHO. There is no way for the industry to comply with those demands. One of the things my company teaches in management class is that goals have to be achievable. You can't give someone goals they can't possibly meet and expect them to comply.

These are not demands for safe cruising or responsible cruising. These are thinly veiled attempts to completely shut down the industry.

LNG gas is at least something that is feasible today, exists and works. Do not even get me started on the Friends of Earth demands.

Agreed.

Even just looking at "greener fuel".... it is one thing to e.g. require FUTURE NEWLY BUILT ships to meet some new "greener" standard [of course, it would have to be for a technology that actually exists...]. That could be doable, and depending on the technology may even be economically advantagous to the industry, or at not much relative additional cost.

OTOH, trying to force the entire industry to retrofit all its existing ships to an entirely new fuel source is, as you noted, a thinly veiled attempt to shut down the industry. It is neither reasonable nor feasible.

And of course, have nothing to do with safely resuming in the covid context.

Agreed.

Even just looking at "greener fuel".... it is one thing to e.g. require FUTURE NEWLY BUILT ships to meet some new "greener" standard [of course, it would have to be for a technology that actually exists...]. That could be doable, and depending on the technology may even be economically advantagous to the industry, or at not much relative additional cost.

OTOH, trying to force the entire industry to retrofit all its existing ships to an entirely new fuel source is, as you noted, a thinly veiled attempt to shut down the industry. It is neither reasonable nor feasible.

And of course, have nothing to do with safely resuming in the covid context.

right. I am actually okay with asking the industry to commit to some %less emissions by 2030 for example (but those need to be in feasible terms...Meyer werft is at 40% capacity and can only churn out so many ships at a time and right now the industry is bleeding debt and may not have the capital to invest). As long as those numbers can be achieved, great.

but asking them to invest in a fuel that’s not capable of powering a ship at this point... cruise lines are not in the chemical sciences business. Get a power company to make the fuel... then ask the cruise lines to adopt it for future ships. If the timeline is unreasonable, we can talk about the realities and how to increase adoption.

but then they add absurd things on top. They want the cruise lines to get informed concept of the local population, but not advertise or promote the business to the local population... how are they supposed to do that?
Cruise line: “we want your informed consent for us to do this”
Person: “do what?”
Cruise: “can’t tell you. But are you informed?”
Person:”about what?”
Cruise: “can’t say. But we want you to know all about it?”
Person: “ABOUT WHAT?”
Cruise: “so it ok?”
Person:” I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT WERE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter