another WWYD

cepmom

DIS Veteran
Would you send your child away for the long weekend with a friend that was just treated for lice 2 days ago? (1st treatment, she still needs to do the 2nd treatment next week)?

Nope! I am pretty sure most will be gone after first treatment- but the reason for the second is that if there were eggs that survived round 1 you get them with round 2. It depends how quickly after the eggs hatched that they started treatment.

from the internet

"The nits hatch within 7 to 10 days. After hatching they take 8 to 9 days to become adults at which time the female louse starts laying more eggs and the cycle repeats itself"

Had to come back and add that now my head is itching!~

Would you send your child away for the long weekend with a friend that was just treated for lice 2 days ago? (1st treatment, she still needs to do the 2nd treatment next week)?

Heck to the no. My dd has had lice twice and it is PURE TORTURE. Anyway you should be nit picking and not doing a second treatment.:confused3

Now you may need to do a second treatment but if you are not diligent with nit picking you will get a reinfestation.

For that matter, run, get yourself a lice comb and comb your dd's hair DAILY with it. I use the "LiceMeister" and it is fantastic.

Blah...Shudder....Ick....scratches head.... :scared:

No. First, it's not fair to the other family.

Second, even though I know it's not right, there can be a stigma around lice. It can be embarrassing to the child and/or the family.

Okay, just wanted confirmation that I'm not overreacting by keeping DD home now. It was supposed to be several girls going away for the girl's birthday.

When the mom told me, she kept trying to assure me that it would be okay to stick to the plans, they treated their DD, cleaned the house,( they're going to another house for the weekend)bought some kind of lice repelling shampoo (not the pesticide treatment stuff) that the girls could all use over the weekend etc, etc. but would leave the decision up to us.

It just didn't sit well with me and I told her DD wasn't going because I just didn't want to take that chance and she seemed to get mad at me :confused: I don't know what the other parents have decided.

cepmom said:
Okay, just wanted confirmation that I'm not overreacting by keeping DD home now. It was supposed to be several girls going away for the girl's birthday.

When the mom told me, she kept trying to assure me that it would be okay to stick to the plans, they treated their DD, cleaned the house,( they're going to another house for the weekend)bought some kind of lice repelling shampoo (not the pesticide treatment stuff) that the girls could all use over the weekend etc, etc. but would leave the decision up to us.

It just didn't sit well with me and I told her DD wasn't going because I just didn't want to take that chance and she seemed to get mad at me :confused: I don't know what the other parents have decided.

You are definitely not overreacting! I do feel bad for the birthday girl, but maybe her parents should just reschedule

Yikes, I'm itchy just thinking about it!

mom2travel said:
You are definitely not overreacting! I do feel bad for the birthday girl, but maybe her parents should just reschedule

Yikes, I'm itchy just thinking about it!

I totally feel for the birthday girl! She is dds best friend and I really like her but I really don't want to risk dd coming home with unwanted guests! The mom asked me not to tell DD; she doesn't want word getting out and her dd to get teased etc which I totally understand.

I asked her if she would consider rescheduling and she said no. So I had to tell DD she couldn't go but not tell her why...personally I think she should have just sucked it up and rescheduled for another time but she didn't. The thing that gets me is the attitude I got when I told her Dd couldn't go :(

This woman is crazy! We've dealt with it a few times, and the only time I felt the kids were really lice free was after spending about $500 at a lice center, where they were combed out for hours by several women.

Is she combing like crazy? Because the pp's are right - if she just treated, she might've gotten all of the live ones (but I doubt it - I've found live ones after treatment), but all of those nits are going to hatch eventually. Unfortunately, the treatment itself makes the nits stickier, and much harder to comb out.

I've learned (the hard way) not to do lice treatments - the amount of combing necessary to remove the nits will get all of those live ones anyway - they're the easy part. It's the nits (and they're not killed by the treatment). It's almost impossible to tell a live nit from a hatch one, so everything needs to be completely combed out.

I might. It depends on how close I was to the mother and how careful I thought she would be. Lice are mostly spread through head to head contact, they don't fly. I think she would be less likely to pick up lice from this girl that she would on a random school day with classmates unaware of their infestation.

If she spends a lot of time with this girl (before her mom found the lice), I would check your daughter carefully. She may already be affected.

Lice are gross and annoying, but not fatal. I give the mom great credit for being honest with you about the whole thing.

There always has to be one dissenting vote :thumbsup2

I would let my daughter go because I'm now a lice expert - LOL - and we handle it much better now that there have been a few incidents and I have gone to some experts for help on how to deal with it.

I just wanted to re-iterate that you need to tell your friend that most "treatments" don't work. The best way to get the lice/nits out is to nit pick. I have a special comb from Lice Squad (which I think may only be in Canada) and it is amazing.

The reason my daughter kept getting nits again is because others were using the supposed "treatments". My school finally got on board with the proper way to deal with Lice and things have been much better!

They haven't spent any time together recently other than going to and from school on the bus. She may very well have done a fantastic job combing her dds hair out but I still don't think it's wise to take that risk especially considering they'll be sleeping over for 3 nights.

I wouldn't take the chance so I would have to say no. The mom really should just change the date to another weekend when she knows that the issue has been resolved. Personally that's what I would do because I wouldn't want to risk other kids getting it.

depends!

First how much time has your child spent with this girl recently? That is more important than the weekend. She is much more likely to have already caught them from her yesterday than she will be today or tomorrow. Plus they are going to a neutral location so that gets rid of the chance there are some in the carpeting or pillows.

I would'nt automatically say no, I would want to find out how they planned on spending most of the time and would be sending my child with their own sleeping bag and pillow and with explicit instructions not to be physically close to the girl and to not use anything she had near her head.

You do know the family could have just not told you right? Many people if they had already treated would have just not said anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter