Another solo tip

Claudia Kellenberger

DIS Veteran
I am now planning for my 6th solo trip to WDW. I just thought I would mention this .....

I used to feel a bit negative when I finally got to the front of the line and the CM asks the question " How Many?"
I used to say "Just one" in a sort of negative way, almost like I was depressed or something.

Now that I am a lot more experienced, and I got to really love going solo, I Proudly state " Just One" is such a positive, upbeat manner.

It's all in the attitude that decides if your solo vacation will be successful or not.

Claudia, I now do the same thing, Just one but I truly love those single rider lines as I just reride everything over and over again.

Another tip, don't forget that your never riding the Haunted Mansion alone, you'll eventually see your ghost riding with you.

I agree with Spiceycat, I decided to throw out "just".

Proudly "one"

See you there.

Susan

Claudia, I love your attitude!;) I still haven't done WDW solo because DH loves it as much as I do, but solo sounds VERY adventurous and intriguing!

Originally posted by yecats
I truly love those single rider lines as I just reride everything over and over again.

Where are the single rider lines and for which attractions, please?

Thanks!!!

Can't tell you about every park, but at Epcot there is a single rider line at Test Track and Mission Space.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

I've heard there's also one now at SM. Can anyone verify?

I do something similar. When approaching a grouper, I just smile and put up one finger. It's normally loud anyway, and it gets my point across rather quickly. Of course I always say, "Thank you" after, but it avoids the whole "Just one?" conversation. That said, I usually ride the same ride multiple times in a row, so after the first time they tend to remember me. :)

N.E.D.

I am going by myself in February 2005 after going with my family this summer (2004). I'm only just starting to do some reading up on other people's experiences.

I expect CMs must be used to single riders because often a member of a family will want to go on a ride if the rest of the family are chickening out!

I am really looking forward to it!

Sometimes I feel embarassed about it cus a lot of people DO stare like there's something wrong with me (or at least that's what it feels like), but I figure I'm doing them a favor cus I'm filling up an empty spot on a ride and that's one less person in line for the next car. ToT and SM are probably the most embarassing though since they often have me cut in front of about 40 or so people to get a single rider up there, although this just saves me a wait so I love it. Also I've done favors for single parents with multiple small children who can't fit them all in one car and they can't ride alone, so they have been put with me.

I usually am so estatic to be there I hae a grin from mouse ear to mouse ear!! hehe....I go up to the desk they ask! I say "me myself and I" Does that count as three? only kidding...Dont feel bad about the rest you wait in line just like others and most times they do need to fill the seats anyways!!That's why they have single riders line!!

NewEnglandDisney said:
I do something similar. When approaching a grouper, I just smile and put up one finger....N.E.D.

Which finger? (Just kidding! :D)

I do the exact same thing. As I approach the CM who assigns seats, I hold up my pointer finger to show that I'm riding alone. By the way, when I ride by myself, it's usually because Dh was too wimpy to ride that particular ride, not because I was at the parks alone! So, riding by yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're at the park by yourself.

JudyS said:
By the way, when I ride by myself, it's usually because Dh was too wimpy to ride that particular ride, not because I was at the parks alone! So, riding by yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're at the park by yourself.

EXACTLY! My DH went on Dr Doom (Universal Studios) by himself two or three times while the rest of us just sat there and watched! Just because you are in a line by yourself doesn't mean you are in the parks by yourself. Of course, I will be on my own this time and there will be loads of other people on their own. BUT if you see anyone on their own in a line or walking between buildings/rides etc, this does not necessarily mean they are in WDW on there own.

I cannot wait! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I agree, last week on my first solo trip I was always happy to get to the front of the line and say "just one!" Then see who I'd end up with! :)

JudyS said:

So, riding by yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're at the park by yourself.

The same thing is true for sit down meals, as I learned on my last trip with DH. There was a man sitting beside us, solo, at Biergarten. Having been solo myself, I started a conversation with him, only to learn that the rest of the family had eaten at Italy, but he loved German food. It was so funny-towards the end of the meal, a little girl came running over to him and talked to him about where they were going-she had her nose wrinkled up the whole time and just before she left, she said "It smells icky in here." Like he said after she left, "See why I'm here by myself". So solo diners aren't necessarily solo travelers!

Take a tip from the ski world. Say you are "single", "riding single", or "riding single? can I ride with you?". The first time I heard some guy ask me "are you single?" startled me but I quickly figured it out.

JudyS said:
Which finger? (Just kidding! :D)

I do the exact same thing. As I approach the CM who assigns seats, I hold up my pointer finger to show that I'm riding alone. By the way, when I ride by myself, it's usually because Dh was too wimpy to ride that particular ride, not because I was at the parks alone! So, riding by yourself doesn't necessarily mean you're at the park by yourself.

Hehe, my index finger, silly! :)

You hit on another "tip" I tell solo'ers : No one has to know you are alone if you don't want them to. People are always splitting up for one reason or another - to get food, to go on a ride (like your situation), etc. Although I maintain going to WDW solo is NOTHING you should feel bad/guilty/weird about, but if you do feel like "everyone is looking at you" because you are alone, just remember they have no idea.

You aren't out of place unless you feel out of place. :)

N.E.D.

crcormier said:
I agree, last week on my first solo trip I was always happy to get to the front of the line and say "just one!" Then see who I'd end up with! :)

Hehe, forgive me in advance...

But I wouldn't be opposed to a handsome gentleman like you being seated next to me anytime. :smooth:

N.E.D.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter