Another "SHOW" buster!!

DVC-Landbaron

What Would Walt Do?
What’s up with this. Didn’t Disney management say that they weren’t going to do this anymore?!!!!!!!!

Painting in broad daylight!?!?! With guests present?!?!!? What costumes are they wearing?!?! Early American tradesmen???

main.street.refurb.4.jpg

NICE “SHOW” GUYS!!!! :mad:

Click here for more deatails.

Just more lowering of standards!!!! But of course some will post that this is just fine and doesnt affect the show at all we should just ignore it and be happy the hours arent furthur reduced.

yep, last feburary when we went to epcot they were painting the BAH(big *** hand). it was truly magical... :rolleyes:

I am glad that they're at least doing some work now and in their defense, I've ALWAYS seen gardeners in the daytime mostly in Epcot. But the painting should be done after closing and oh my, I do hate the sight of that crane. What a lousy photograph that would make.

At Disneyland they are ripping out flowers and other greenery from planters around the hub area and Main Street.

They’re leaving stretches of dirt with a sign that says new plants are coming soon.

Now THAT’s how to improve a show!

Personally I think all painting should be done in natural daylight, even the best metal halide lamps cannot give the best color rendition for quality painting, and this is the best way to paint. Disney tried painting at night at DL and there were many problems later because it was done under artificial illumination and higher humidity from dewdrop moisture, the paint would not adhere and later peeled away as everybody has seen and complained about.
its better to see it done right than see it peel away later.
I consider all my trips to either WDW or DL as a real life adventure than some fantasy world where everything is perfect, that place is much later when I pass away...hopefully.

I believe that, way back when, work was done during the day. However, there were 10 ft. walls around the attractions so you couldn't see what they were doing. There were also signs saying something like, "Pardon our dust, we are refurbishing this area for your future enjoyment."

At least then, you couldn't see what they were doing.

Lisa:cool:

If they paint during regular hours in full view of all the guests they are lowering their standards to that of SF or any other park that acts in a similiar manner. This is being done to save money as im sure the painters are getting paid more for nightitme work than day time work as that is a staple in most union contracts. They have done painting in non park hours in the past and the paint jobs looked fine.

exactly right MR D. Finally someone who understands...
Ahhh! Mr. Show! How nice to hear from you after actually meeting you!! (check your PMs. There's a few from me.) Anyway, nice to hear from you, but...

Yes, I'm afraid there is a but... But, "UNDERSTANDS" what exactly? Understands that "efficiency" comes before "show"? Gee! I thought it was the other way around! Or maybe I'm not understanding what your "understanding" means! Care to clarify?

I'm pretty new here so I'm still trying to figure this out....

all the maintenance is "supposed" to be hidden so we think we are in a fantasy or a movie?

Okay...where does the "fantasy" end? We don't want to see any painters? We want to pretend the place is perfect all the time and the fairies come in at night and keep it that way? Paint never peels and wears?

Could those same fairies come in and take away other "imperfections"? How about the mundane facts of life - sweating people, tired cranky folks, restrooms even?
Or is it about the chnage and loss of what Disney was in the olden days - like when we were kids?

This reminds me of those parents who not only play Santa on Christmas Eve(fine with me), but also are the ones who put up a whole tree and decorate it after the kids are asleep and they say "Santa put up our tree!"

That said - of course I'd like it all to be behind the scenes. The crane is really jarring to the eye. Well-dressed painters working in daylight - better for quality of the job, for sure - ?? I'm not sure it rattles my cage.

Is there something I'm missing???

What I meant to say in my earlier post is that seeing maintenance work performed while I visit the parks makes me feel safer and thats mostly because I have over 25 years experiance in just that sort of field. There is another thing I will disagree upon, seeing such things as construction equipment, workers, painting and excavating does NOT detract from a "show" image to me, the parks is very much a living thing that is alive and not a still life caricature of a fantasy world where everything is perfect and never needs work or improvement.

Also yes its more expensive to work off hours plus the additional equipment needed and the materials needed that must work during cooler temps such as faster drying paints. This saturday I needed to repair a hole in some fiberglass of a rear hatch on a Ford Aerostar and the overhead door to my shop will not work at the moment so I did the resin batch and application outside during the day when its only 53 degrees (Alaska summer) the resin was not curing so I had to use a heat gun to accelerate it. Same thing applies to Disney parks, even though a winter florida night in summer can be very warm still its changes the process of many things.
Now what would ruin a "show" would be more flagrant hostile CM's than there usually is, that is what a real problem is more so than anything else.

Yes, I'm afraid there is a but... But, "UNDERSTANDS" what exactly?
This is a new attraction! Come see how we paint the Kingdom!

Hey, at least it's more exciting than watching bread rise.

When Disneyland was opened in 1955 they repainted at night. Disneyland and WDW have been repainting at night up until the 90s it wasn't until then that they started painting during the day. That's what 35+ years of painting under inappropriate conditions? Since I live in the pacific northwest I know a lot about Paint and moister and I KNOW that they make paint that will adhere better in moist conditions.
Painting during the day should never be acceptable.

Originally posted by melomouse
all the maintenance is "supposed" to be hidden so we think we are in a fantasy or a movie?
Yup! That's why there are trees all along DL - because Walt didn't want people walking around & being able to see some of the eyesores on Harbor Blvd. That's why WDW was built away from the outside world.

Okay...where does the "fantasy" end? We don't want to see any painters? We want to pretend the place is perfect all the time and the fairies come in at night and keep it that way? Paint never peels and wears?
Hmm, perhaps shows should run if a pirate's head pops off? I mean we wouldn't want people to be mad about a closed ride, right? I mean the ride is pretty old anyway, not only that but decapitation was probably a daily experience for pirates anyway, so maybe it enhances the show?
nono.gif

Could those same fairies come in and take away other "imperfections"? How about the mundane facts of life - sweating people, tired cranky folks, restrooms even?
As long as they keep track of things they can control, like clean restrooms...

Or is it about the chnage and loss of what Disney was in the olden days - like when we were kids?
That's a big part of it.

This reminds me of those parents who not only play Santa on Christmas Eve(fine with me), but also are the ones who put up a whole tree and decorate it after the kids are asleep and they say "Santa put up our tree!"
Perhaps Santa should change in front of everyone since it's more efficient than having to go all the way into another room then? :rolleyes:

That said - of course I'd like it all to be behind the scenes. The crane is really jarring to the eye. Well-dressed painters working in daylight - better for quality of the job, for sure - ?? I'm not sure it rattles my cage.

Is there something I'm missing???
Apparently so. I'm sorry that your expectations of Disney are so low & I think it's a shame that we're forced to settle these days.

God...no wonder Safari Steve doesn't want to post much. You people are driving me crazy. I've lurked here and posted for years, but you are all "He said, she said." I've gotten to where I really don't enjoy reading these boards anymore. Everyone seems to get bashed if you halfway say something nice about Disney.

My take....I've worked for WDW for over 12 years. I prefer to see painting done by Disney (not contract painters) Cast Members at any time of day...as long as it gets done. As for painting the castle...how else do you think you would paint it without the crane??? And one that big is NOT easy to move in and out of the park every night. And by the way, I wouldn't want to be on that crane painting at night.

BTW, isn't this the "News and Rumors Board" and not the "Debate Board." If I wanted to read arguing, I'd go to that board.

OMG...I've started to sound nasty too. I need to leave these boards now.

OMG...I've started to sound nasty too. I need to leave these boards now.

I think that some of us are just frustrated lately and don't intentionally try to sound nasty. :( Things are just changing so rapidly and I, for one, just want to stand in front of it all and yell "stop!" sometimes. I can't help but miss what I perceived the old days to be but I don't blame Disney for all of the changes.

I said that I hated the sight of the crane but I do understand that there's no way around it. As long as they promise not to paint the castle pink again, they can put up 10 cranes if they need to without any complaint from me! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter