Another Sharing Credits Question--Sorry!

Usandthe4kids

Earning My Ears
I know these questions are posted all the time and I've read them and the responses. It just seems too good to be true so I need to know that I am understanding this correctly.

We are a group of 9 (me, my husband, our 6 kids and my mom). We will be staying at Pop for 2 weeks in 3 rooms. If I'm understanding this correctly, I can put the two youngest kids (5 and 9) in a room with one adult and upgrade their dining plan to DxDP. As long as we are not eating at a buffet or family style meal, I can use all the credits for the adult meals and pay for the two kids (if they aren't sharing with us) out of pocket? I will be allowed to order 6 adult meals with the one band for the entire party even though there are only 3 people listed in the room and 2 of them are under 10?

If so, is this correct? We will have 126 meal credits. I can pay for my two younger children and older autistic son (he will literally only eat fries or pizza if we aren't home) out of pocket. That would mean we had 21 meals??

I'm sorry to post another one of these questions. We've always done regular dining so this is a completely new concept to me. Thank you guys for your help!

Because Disney dining math has fried my brain! Haha. In my head I was thinking about the fact that I have to pay for my older son even though he doesn't eat anything and somehow that became I have to use a credit for everyone. Thank you for clarifying :)

So, this is what I call "scamming the dining plan." You're using a loophole to pay the child's price but redeeming the credits for adult meals. Yes, it will work. Only you can decide if you're okay with doing it.

Disney does have the ability to change their policy at any moment (like they did this year, mid-year, with ending drink for side swaps except at resorts), so I would not proceed with this plan if I needed it. I'd just pay for 3 adults in one room, put them on the plan, and do the same sharing.

Thank you guys for the replies. While I did realize it was a loophole, I wasn't thinking of it as scamming the system. I never even considered it until I saw it being discussed on here. It seemed like something many people on here were doing and because I know these boards do not condone cheating the systen I didn't think twice about it. I can understand the moral dilemma though.

Also, I didn't realize Disney changed policies mid year. That could mean that even if I put adults in the room (which I won't because it's not cost effective) they could decide that only three credits could be used per meal and we'd still be out of luck.

Looks like paying out of pocket will be our best bet then. I'm not a risk taker and would hate to get there and things not work out.

Also, I didn't realize Disney changed policies mid year. That could mean that even if I put adults in the room (which I won't because it's not cost effective) they could decide that only three credits could be used per meal and we'd still be out of luck.

Yes they could, or individual restaurants could also each decide to change their policies to be stricter (like Via Napoli, where each person must spend a credit to eat there if the dining plan is being used, even though it's not buffet or AYCTE)...it's why you probably should never plan on loopholes:)...

Seems as though they had a policy in place to prevent it up until last year. Just because some folks manage to exploit it doesn't mean that it's okay or otherwise ignored by Disney.
Correct....there was a policy in place and at the present time, there isn't. Anything can change moment to moment.

Thank you guys for the replies. While I did realize it was a loophole, I wasn't thinking of it as scamming the system. I never even considered it until I saw it being discussed on here. It seemed like something many people on here were doing and because I know these boards do not condone cheating the systen I didn't think twice about it. I can understand the moral dilemma though.

Looks like paying out of pocket will be our best bet then. I'm not a risk taker and would hate to get there and things not work out.

Relax and enjoy! I am a rule follower but my kids will tell you my motto is "never pay full price!" I'm going to be working all my credits for my next vacation and I don't feel a darn bit sorry.

In my experience they don't care how you use your credits vs. Paying out of Pocket. They are your credits, you can use them anyway you would like. You aren't scamming anything. Disney got all the money they wanted by charging you the prices they did in the first place. They are aware of how people find "loopholes" and that is one of the many reasons the prices continue to increase each year. Don't worry about it, use them however is best for you.

to piggy back on this - my dd is now a Disney "adult". if we're on the dining plan and get 1 TS per meal, but I don't eat a lot and neither does my daughter - we could technically do 2 sit down meals each day - letting my DH & DS13 do all the dining credits and my DD and I share an appetizer OOP?

I think I have this down, but this is the first time we'll be traveling where 1)we're al the same price so I don't have to worry about that and 2)since I learned you didn't ALL have to eat a meal at a sit down restaurant while on the Disney plan! LOL

Disney created this monster

If they didn't want sharing or pooling credits they would stop

Use it as you like

I agree. Disney woudl change the policy if they felt it needed to be changed.

Seems as though they had a policy in place to prevent it up until last year. Just because some folks manage to exploit it doesn't mean that it's okay or otherwise ignored by Disney.

Disney removed the language that prohibited sharing. I believe it was a deliberate decision to do so because fewer people were purchasing the plans that keep guests onsite. Once folks decided that there was more of a chance they would lose money or waste credits on dining plans the next leap is to determine if they woudl be better off onsite.

I honestly do believe that every "Perk" offered to only a resort guest is meant to snare people in and while they are a benefit to some, the costs of an onsite stay are ever increasing, and reducing the overall value. Believe me, when the language was included there was no sharing of credits, but as soon as it was removed individual restaurants relaxed that aspect of the plan. If Disney was not onboard, there would be no deviations from the plan.

I agree...and think your strategy would work perfectly. U really have the sweet spot of the right combo of adults, kids, and rooms!

It is always good to be aware that Disney can change the policy anytime. So keep an eye on reports and if necessary, remove the dining plan before your final payment at 30 days out.

Unlikely they will change though. They removed the verbiage on purpose - they know how crazy overpriced their dining plans are! I think its something like double the price they started with about 10+ years ago?

I agree. Disney woudl change the policy if they felt it needed to be changed.

And people used to say that about something rather insignificant, the refillable mugs. And yet now they are chipped and controlled. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Disney is working on something to restrict the dining plan.

But there is nothing in Disney's verbiage that says you must all use dining credits when eating together. So ordering an appetizer and eating it instead of a full meal is no problem at all.

And people used to say that about something rather insignificant, the refillable mugs. And yet now they are chipped and controlled. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Disney is working on something to restrict the dining plan.

But there is nothing in Disney's verbiage that says you must all use dining credits when eating together. So ordering an appetizer and eating it instead of a full meal is no problem at all.

I would agree with you if Disney never had the verbiage that prohibited sharing in the brouchures. They did. They removed it and have not put it back in. The dining plan loses traction if people are afraid it will not pay off for them, and without folks buying into the plans they also risk losing those folks and their money to off site resorts and restaurants. Rather than restricting the plans, I believe DIsney is loosening the terms in order to sell them.

I would agree with you if Disney never had the verbiage that prohibited sharing in the brouchures. They did. They removed it and have not put it back in. The dining plan loses traction if people are afraid it will not pay off for them, and without folks buying into the plans they also risk losing those folks and their money to off site resorts and restaurants. Rather than restricting the plans, I believe DIsney is loosening the terms in order to sell them.

But sharing credits isn't the main problem here. It's kid's credits being used for adult meals. The brochure does still state: "Kid's must order from the kid's menu." So technically, that still is the rule. Since the system doesn't differentiate between adults and kids, a loophole is created. This loophole will eventually be closed either by differentiating the two, upping the kid's price to compensate, or they'll go back to not allowing sharing at all. At some point, this will go above Disney's pain threshold and they will fix it.

Until that time, if I still had Disney kids, I'd probably take advantage of it.

So i was looking at the DxDDP today and notices this nice little section:

"Your Disney Deluxe Dining Plan allows each person in your party to trade meals for special dining experiences that your family will remember for a lifetime. See the exchanges below:"

So it appears that Disney has no problem, and kind of encourages the trading of meals with people in your party.

Still morally gray to use for people outside your party, but it appears the kid credits only for kids issue is cleared up with Disney's own verbiage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter