Another EBAY Dilemma- Looking for advice!

VictoriaT

DIS Veteran
This is a hard one, and I need all the help I can get. I have been selling for a while on EBAY and have not had any problems- until now. :confused: I had some listings close May 1, they all sold, and I have received payment for all but four items- I had not heard anything for the buyer, for a few days after I sent the invoice, then they emailed back and said they were sending a money order. Fine, no problem. Well, didn't come and didn't come. May 15, I emailed back asking if payment sent, etc. I get a response back that he had been in the hospital, a little behind on emails, and will get on this ASAP. I say fine, no problem. Still nothing. I email yesterday, asking if He is unable to make the payment, I will have to put unpaid item report out just to get my fees back. He emails back saying he will be making it to the bank soon, on respirator and in wheelchair, has been in the hospital, on disability, etc. What do I do now? :confused3 If he can't buy the items no problem- I would just like to get my fees back- I don't want to do an unpaid item report, but this has been almost a month! :headache: Isn't there a time limit that you have to file within to get fees back? Please help me!!! I am a nice person, and a trustworthy seller, but I feel like I am getting the runaround! I hate feeling like I don't believe him, but I don't know what else to do Thanks!!! I love all my DISer friends and know I can trust you for some good advice. DH says to just put in the report, but I want to be nice!

You have 45 days to file to get your FV fees back. The problem is if you want to recoup your listing fees...to do that, you need to relist the item. You can't recoup fees via a relist until the unpaid item strike is assigned. Sooooo, the longer you wait to give him that strike, the longer you'll wait to recoup your listing fees, and the longer you'll have the item sitting in your house.

I hate to say this, but don't believe a word of what he says about sickness/illness. I'm sure there have been times that I've disbelieved somebody who was being honest with me, but I have no less than 15-20 people a month who tell me that they are slow to pay because they, or somebody in their family, is ill or died. It's the most popular excuse.

If you file an unpaid item dispute there is an option for him to check that you both mutually agreed not to complete the transaction. Not that I believe what he is saying, but to give him the benefit of the doubt. If you open a dispute, he checks that its mutual, you will get the fees back and he will not get a strike against him. If you open the dispute and he chooses to never respond, you will get your fees back and he'll get a strike against him. I have had to deal with tons of non-paying bidders and its no fun! You have to take the first step and open a dispute, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Its unbelievable the amount of people that have won things and then just expect you to forget about the fact that they need to pay.

Thanks for the quick replies! I am just going to have to do that- I feel bad about it, :sad1: but I don't know what else I can do.

If he is well enough to send back and forth all these emails, he is well enough to pay. I have heard the died/in the hospital line so many times. I don't believe a word of it. Have you checked his bidding history? Typically, you'll find that while the person was SO sick, he has had plenty of time to buy other things. Also, check his feedback. Have there been other auctions that ended after yours that he has paid for? If so, he has been somewhere to buy a money order.

I'd file immediately. I would also NOT file as mutual. He is a non-paying bidder and other sellers and Ebay need to know this.

I have sold on Ebay for many years and have heard the hospital story many times. I like to believe people, so I always give them a chance - but a month? If they haven't been able to get a payment to you in that amount of time, they aren't going to. I would file a non-paying bidder report to recoup your fees and relist the item. I would also block his Ebay ID from bidding on any of my auctions so it doesn't happen again. You would hope that the person isn't really as sick as they are saying, but if they are not - then they are lying.
Ebay is a business, not a charity. Do what you have to do and let him know that he will not be receiving the item. :sad2:

He has a 96.9 rating, no neutrals or negatives in the past 12 months, he did purchase some other things that ended the same day as mine and paid the seller quickly, so I don't know what the hangup is. I did file the unpaid item report for the four items, maybe I will hear something- I'll let you know, thanks!!:)

he did purchase some other things that ended the same day as mine and paid the seller quickly

I think this is a good indication that he's probably lying to you. If he could pay them, he could pay you. He probably just decided he didn't want the items or found another auction at lower price, and used the old "I was in the hospital" excuse. I've been selling for 10 years and I've also heard that one many times, as recently as this month.

File the report and move on.

I just hate it when this happens, it makes me so mad! And, for 4 items, thats a lot. You also only get your listing fees back if your item sells when you relist it. If it doesn't, you're out the the fees twice...its so frustrating!

I have 3 buyers right now, who have not paid or contacted me yet, auctions closed Sunday. It's weird, I have been reading about so many non-paying buyers recently, and boom, I get hit with it, too. I sold 9 items, to 8 buyers, and 3 are NPBs. I will file at the first chance allowed. I have over 650 transactions, and only had one previous NPB........ between this and the new Priority shipping rates, I am stressed.......

Once I had a VERY slow paying buyer, he finally paid after a month or something. He kept giving me excuses, and I was not looking to void the sale, the item was not that popular. I thought the guy was sort of kooky. I felt bad though, when I finally got a postal money order. It was written by what looked like a 6 year old, or a mentally handicapped person......... it was filled out all wrong, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter