Another DDE question

AmberLuvsWDW

Mouseketeer
DH and I finally decided to get APs and are planning to get the DDE. I saw on allears that there is an 18% gratuity included on all DDE meals, regardless of party size. Now to me this doesn't make sense since they removed the tip from the DDP because people complained about their service with the tip already included.

Has anyone experienced this? TIA:goodvibes

The tip is included on the dinner. It doesn't bother us since it actually saves us a little overall now. We used to give more than the 18% but now just sign the receipt.

Thanks! We usually tip well too, but I knew there were concerns from people on the DDP about compromised service when the CMs knew the tip was already there. I agree it will actually save us some and will save us from doing any "math" while on vacation!:goodvibes

I don't let them know I'm using DDE until I get the check. No need to. Service has always been good.

DH and I finally decided to get APs and are planning to get the DDE. I saw on allears that there is an 18% gratuity included on all DDE meals, regardless of party size. Now to me this doesn't make sense since they removed the tip from the DDP because people complained about their service with the tip already included.

Has anyone experienced this? TIA:goodvibes

Yes, we've experienced it. Had the same reaction as you did about adding a tip to the DDE but removing it from the DDP. Wrote to Disney about it, but just got a standard 'thank you for contacting us' type of response where they said they value people's input.

Now I make it a point to let the restaurant manager know that we don't appreciate the policy. We also no longer tip 20% (or better in some cases) for good service since obviously Disney knows better than us. :rolleyes1

Does this mean that when we use our DDE at the POP food court, we will now actually tip? :confused3

Does this mean that when we use our DDE at the POP food court, we will now actually tip? :confused3

If you're using DDE at counter service, where a tip is not expected, you won't be charged a tip. The tip is charged at TS and bars/lounges.

The DDE tip was apparently instituted as a concession to the union that includes restaurant workers, who objected to Disney's removal of the included tip from the dining plan. Apparently it was typical of DDE users to tip on the discounted amount rather than the full bill, although I don't know anyone personally who did that. Another concession was the lowering of party size for automatic tip from 8 to 6.

I do not mind the 18% either as we used to tip 20%, but it kind of stinks at the lounges. People typically leave $2 bucks or so every round so 18% is a lot more.

We're another group that saves money with the 18% tip. We were 20% to 25% tippers on the undiscounted total. But now that Disney does the math for me, I just sign the bill and leave it at that. Except last November at Le Cellier - we had a great server. When DD asked for more pretzel bread "to go" the server wrapped it up in tinfoil and even included butter in the package. We left her an extra tip in cash on the table (probably about the same amount I saved by not buying snacks for DD and me while we waited for illuminations later on). If I ever had truly horrible service, I would hunt down the manager to see about having the gratuity removed. It hasn't happened yet.

I just got it for my next trip..never used DDE before and we have gone 15 times..

we always tip 20% or more too...so now...we also will just sign the bill..

amy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter