Annual Passholder renewal discount

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by adelaster, Jul 16, 2017.

1. adelaster

adelaster Mouseketeer

So, just wondering what people think/if anyone knows what to expect with Annual Passes to WDW after the D23 announcements.

Disneyland has made moves to cut back on Annual Passholders, and WDW has been steadily increasing their prices as well.

I was considering getting Annual Passes in advance of our second trip later this year- just in case we are able to take some 2-4 day trips in 2018. Incentive to do this is increased by the ability to renew passes at a lower rate than buying them outright.

With the price hikes inevitably on the horizon, is this still a reasonable choice? We're new to the parks and would ideally like to visit at least through 2022. I thought if I could swing it financially the passes might make decent sense long term, as one/two day parkhopper tickets are very high and we will never be able to do more than four days at a time tops. I've run a lot of numbers and at present, it's not unreasonable. Still expensive, but the parks are expensive for short term visitors and that is unlikely to change.

Do you think they will continue the renewal discount?

2. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

I think everyone should hold on to their hats (and wallets) for the increases that happen leading up to Star Wars Land opening.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. adelaster

adelaster Mouseketeer

But will it be that bad? Looking at historical data for the last ten years:

Capture.JPG

The largest increase for the annual pass was from 2013 to 2015, where it jumped from $609.00 to $749.00. If it jumps like that again, it will be going from $779.00 to $919.00.

The largest increase for a peak one day admission was 2010 to 2013, where it jumped from $82 to $99. If it jumps like that again it will be going from $124 to $141.

The cost of upgrading to a parkhopper is presently $37.28 (with tax, above does not include tax). If that stays around the $40 mark, that means a one day peak parkhopper will be roughly $190.

So getting an annual pass at around $979 (the above figure with tax) is still a decent deal if you go one or two days two or three times a year. It would be an even better savings if they keep grandfathering in current passholders at a discounted rate. It would still increase, but not as much.

My fear is getting passes, then having them take away the renewal discount and increase the price even higher than my speculations. There's truly no way to know, unless someone here has better insight.

It stings less to pay for a membership knowing we could go whenever than it does paying the really high one or two day ticket rates. Wish there was some indication of what to expect.

5. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

It might be about the increases. Or it might be about which passes have which blackout dates. But I don't think Disney has ever had something as eagerly anticipated as SWL. And I think they'll try to maximize it.

6. randumb0

randumb0 Party at Mickey's

We've already seen an increase in AP prices once this year. Although it's possible I'd be leaning to guess that they won't increase them twice in a year

7. adelaster

adelaster Mouseketeer

My concern is more that in 2018 or 2019 they stop allowing renewals/discounted renewals. Disneyland saw changes this year on that front. I fully expect the pricing to go up, I just wonder how high and if it will still be no blackout and renewal discounted. It's harder to justify spending 2k in admission alone for less than ten days a year to myself than it is $1,600 (which works out to about $80/day parkhopper each). However, it might still be the cost effective option. The one and two day admissions with parkhopper are pretty high already.

8. focusondisney

focusondisney DIS Veteran

Honestly, I don't think making a decision on getting an annual pass for this year based on what might happen 2 years from now makes sense. We live in Buffalo NY & have had annual passes off & on for about 15 years. We go every year, sometimes once, sometimes 2 or 3 times. But every 4-5 years, we do Disneyland instead of a second or 3rd a WDW trip. So I make the decision wether or not to get/ renew our APs based on what our plans are for the next 12 months.

If you will save money this year by getting APs, then get them. If it wil cost you more to get APs this year but you might save money in 2 years, does that really seem like a wise economic decision? And if prices increase that much, will you be able to afford it anyway, even with a discount? Will the discount in 2 years offset your losses this year?? Will you have to finance the purchase this year & add on interest costs too? Will you have the money & time to go to WDW enough in 2 years to even need an AP?

None of us know what will happen in the next 2 years. While everything seems great with the economy on the news & with WDW in particular, anything could happen. Of my mom's 13 grandchildren, 3 of the 30 somethings have lost their jobs in the last year & all are having difficulty finding new jobs in their fields. None of them anticipated the events that cost them their jobs 2 years ahead of time.

Sorry, not criticizing your question OP. Just trying to bring another point of view. Good luck with your decision!

AngiTN and adelaster like this.
  9. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Exactly. Unless you have a crystal ball it makes no sense. You have no way of knowing what they'll do. And if you have a crystal ball, don't waste it on what Disney will do with annual passes. Use it for something way more constructive than that.

Something you didn't even put on the table for having an AP, the reason we are keeping on, no matter what, AP holders get first dibs on access to things, like Pandora previews.

adelaster likes this.
  10. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Stop allowing renewals? They aren't going to do that. Discounts for renewals maybe but they aren't going to stop allowing renewals