Annual pass express pass, worth it?

Rick195275

DIS Veteran
Like the title says I’m looking to get some opinions on the express pass that comes with the annual pass. Our trip dates would be covered by the cheaper annual passes with blackout dates. I’m wondering from those that know if the premiere pass is worth it for the afternoon express pass? Are the lines still short for express at that time or does it just get overrun by Passholders after that? Appreciate any help! Thanks

I'm not familiar with the pass and the restrictions that may come with the EP attached to it, but I can say that the express lines are almost always short. Many rides have separate dedicated ride vehicles for the EP line, or they pull from the EP line more frequently to load the ride vehicles. Seems like the priority is to clear the express line as quick as possible. We've never had an express wait longer than 15-20 mins, and even that is rare.

We've never considered the premiere pass, but I would suggest doing a price comparison. If you plan to buy an AP, no matter the level you get, one of the biggest benefits of it is that it comes with what can be significant discounts for on-site resorts. With a good discount, the three deluxe resorts that include unlimited express pass become much more affordable. Even if you don't need the lodging or don't want to stay at one of those resorts, people often book a "throwaway" room there for a night (i.e. a room they do not stay in or a room they just use for a break) in order to get each person in their party an EP for two days (check in and check out day). This is often the most affordable route. Alternatively, if you don't want to hassle with the resort, it may still be cheaper to just get the cheaper APs and then purchase EPs for your group on days you want them for. You can also purchase EPs day-of if you're at the park and its busier than you anticipate.

With the Premier Pass you get Early Park admission, Express Pass privileges after 4 pm. You also get Valet parking and one free ticket for HHN.

I would figure out how often you are going to use your AP and find one that best fits your needs and budget.

Universal has tried very hard to make things nice for their AP holders even during this Covid sadness.

With the Premier Pass you get Early Park admission, Express Pass privileges after 4 pm. You also get Valet parking and one free ticket for HHN.

I would figure out how often you are going to use your AP and find one that best fits your needs and budget.

Universal has tried very hard to make things nice for their AP holders even during this Covid sadness.
Definitely seems like they are taking better care of their AP holders than some companies... still waiting on my partial refund from others haha. Forgot about the free HHN tix too, really doesn’t usually matter because I’m not local so couldn’t use it but we have an October trip tentatively planned so that would definitely be a plus. You wouldn’t happen to know if the AP needs to be activated by a certain time to get the 3 free months do you? Last time it had to be used by x date and we wouldn’t make it by then so I held off on buying. I can’t seem to find that information this time though. Thanks for the info!

Not sure about current promotions but when we bought our AP’s seasonal with the 3 extra months we could buy through September 30, 2020 and the guy on the phone said we didn’t have an ‘activate by’ date. We did however go in December 2020 so they are active now. 15 months from the first day we used them brings us through the first week of March2022

ETA - we stayed at HRH and plan on staying at one of the 3 premiers every time due to the proximity and EA

It was never worth it for us because when we went we would use the passholder rate and stay at Royal Pacific which already came with the express pass.
We are DVC so will be mostly staying off site as far as universal goes, that’s why the express pass really appeals to us! Have 3 or 4 trips planned so the annual pass definitely makes sense but none of our dates are blackout dates so it really comes down to express pass and food/merch discounts. Do you notice a significant increase in express wait times after it’s open to APs?

The decision to buy Premier Passes for a financial advantage depends highly on your personal circumstances:

1. Are you staying onsite? If you are staying onsite, you already have parking access and EE. If you stay at a Deluxe Hotel, you also get EPs. Even if you are offsite, you can book a throw-away deluxe room to get EPs, EE, and parking.
2. How many people are in your group? Each person would need the Premier AP, which adds up to a lot quickly vs Seasonal APs.
3. How may days are you going to the park for time the AP is valid? More days leans towards the AP.

So a single person who lives in Orlando would almost certainly want the Premier AP, since they would just drive to the park any day they felt like going during the year. On the other hand, a family of 4 travelling from out of state for a single 4 day visit would do better with a Deluxe Hotel and Seasonal AP.

We are DVC so will be mostly staying off site as far as universal goes, that’s why the express pass really appeals to us! Have 3 or 4 trips planned so the annual pass definitely makes sense but none of our dates are blackout dates so it really comes down to express pass and food/merch discounts. Do you notice a significant increase in express wait times after it’s open to APs?

I never noticed if there was in increase in express wait times once it opened to APs. I would not do Universal without the express pass but I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost for the Premier express pass which only begins after 4pm especially if the parks aren't open late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter