annual pass 20% discount expiration

hickorysss

Earning My Ears
I know I heard at one point that the 20% off merchandise for annual pass holders was going until end of he year. I am having trouble finding this information. So i was wondering is there still a date when it will stop or has it been extended indefinitely?

The special 20% off dining promo for the 45th anniversary will end as of tomorrow. Still makes me wonder about the merchandise? Before 2017 the AP discount on merchandise was only 10%! Hopefully it stays at 20%!! I think AP holders deserve at least that much! ;)

The special 20% off dining promo for the 45th anniversary will end as of tomorrow. Still makes me wonder about the merchandise? Before 2017 the AP discount on merchandise was only 10%! Hopefully it stays at 20%!! I think AP holders deserve at least that much! ;)

I think it may depend on how successful it was to encourage spending. I was there 2 weeks ago and have to admit that the 20% off made me spend more. $198 Kate Spade Minnie wallet, save $39.60! Kept trying to resist......

The special 20% off dining promo for the 45th anniversary will end as of tomorrow. Still makes me wonder about the merchandise?

Not sure why it makes you wonder about the merchandise discount... they have already updated information on the dining discount. With respect to dining: After tomorrow, APs get 10% off dining at (select) TS restaurants.

When they extended the 45th Anniversary dining promo (20% off discount) on select dining (from October 2017 to 12/23/17), at that time they changed the wording on their website that the 20% off merchandise no longer had an expiration date.

Of course, this can all change whenever they want, but for now, 20% off merchandise is not set to expire.

Last edited:
does anyone know if there are any QS dining discounts being offered after the 23rd?

You kind of answered your own question!

Sure, but no expiration date currently listed means it's not going anywhere anytime soon... when it first changed from 10% to 20% the website said 20% off merchandise expired in October 2017. Now it has no expiration (they removed the expiration date in Sept 2017). I'd say we are good for a while...

The 20% dining discounts introduced this year expire tomorrow. There is nothing out there now saying that the 20% merchandise discounts will be discontinued. the discounts aren't related to each other and the dining discount was always meant to be temporary, although it was extended a few months.

Some AP holders seem to be putting the cart before the horse and assuming that because the 20% dining discounts are expiring, the merchandise discounts will too.

I think it may depend on how successful it was to encourage spending. I was there 2 weeks ago and have to admit that the 20% off made me spend more. $198 Kate Spade Minnie wallet, save $39.60! Kept trying to resist......

You did better than I did! I came home last week with 4 new Dooney handbags and a wallet. The 20% off is awesome... my bank accounts may cringe a bit, but it's certainly encouraged me to spend more.

So when does an AP break even? When should i consider buying one?

You can find calculators online. When I decided on an AP, I focused on just room and ticket costs. I was able to break even on one trip, considering just the AP room discount and the ticket cost. And then we went on like 5 other trips... because, you know, we have annual passes!

The 20% off dining just never made sense to me... that covers just a little more than the tip! :)
Don't get me wrong, I'll take it but....

You did better than I did! I came home last week with 4 new Dooney handbags and a wallet. The 20% off is awesome... my bank accounts may cringe a bit, but it's certainly encouraged me to spend more.

Well actually there was more. Went into Diamonds International at Disney Springs for the "free" DVC watch, walked out with a blue diamond ring and necklace. But 12 interest free payments! I'll use any excuse..... <g>

Some AP holders seem to be putting the cart before the horse and assuming that because the 20% dining discounts are expiring, the merchandise discounts will too.

I don't know if I'd say cart before horse - the 20% off merch & dining discounts were announced at the same time, as part of the same anniversary promotion. I assumed that they'd both expire at the end of the year - I'm thrilled that merch is sticking. I agree that it encourages me to spend more. (We have TIW for dining so the dining discount was kind of useless to me in that respect.)

Two long trips or three shorter ones within a year. If you're only looking at one, I would consider it very objectively - there's about a $300 gap between a weeklong hopper and an AP. If you're offsite, $20/day parking might make up half of that; onsite IF you can get a room discount might save you that much. (We have terrible luck with AP room discounts but others swear by them.) And then consider whether you'll buy enough merch to make up the rest - and if so, don't forget that if you have a Disney Visa or DVC (?) you already get a merch discount.

Unless you'll save on *just* admission with the AP, only one person in the group needs one. If you'll be using it to visit multiple times, then of course everyone needs one!

Hope that helps.

I figure with only the price of tickets and memory maker if you normally buy it, we don't so it's just the price of tickets for us. I always compare apples to apples, if the cost of tickets for the number of days I plan for the year is more, I buy an AP. If you don't normally get a park hopper, use the regular ticket price. I never take any discounts into consideration because they are a moving target. Sometimes the AP discount on rooms is not as good as the general discount, not all restaurants give you a discount and not all merchandise. We were just there and some of the places we ate gave the discount, some didn't. I bought a mask from Italy and no discount for that. One restaurant gave me the DVC discount instead of the AP discount and I didn't notice it until we left so it was 10% instead of 20% and not worth me fighting over since we had already had to wait 1/2 hour to even get our check and had to send another wait staff to actually go find ours to pay.

As a seasoned AP holder (though not right now), I will give one more hidden calculation. It's not the two planned trips that gets you. It's the third, unexpected, "Hey, honey, I've been thinking about those APs" trip that gets you. We justify it by saying the per-day cost of the park pass goes even lower with a third trip. You have been warned ;)

I only consider doing it when I am already planning two + trips within one year and the ticket cost exceeds that of an AP. Everything else on top of that is a bonus. In full disclosure when we end up with APs we usually do add at least one small trip wihin the year as well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter