Animal Kingdom Villas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynaaron

DVC Family
Does anyone else think that the Animal Kindgdom Lodge area would be a cool place for DVC? This has probably been covered here before but my wife and I were just talking and decided we would buy another conctract if they ever built near Animal Kingdom. Is there room there for growth? We own at Boardwalk so BCV is too similar and Eagle Pines is too "golfy" (no offense to all you golfers). Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out for fun.

I really like the sound of that one. I would definitely be in.

Thanks,
Wayne

My DH and I have actually discussed this in detail. AKL is our favorite place and we agree we'd DEFINITELY add on if they built villas there. According to our maps, the most logical thing would be to build the villas on the back of the existing savannah. They would need to expand the savannah area to about twice it's current "width" (i.e. front to back) so that the buildings wouldn't face into each other quite so closely. But they could mirror the design of the lodge itself and wrap around so that most of the rooms had the view. They could even "single load" the hotel - meaning all rooms on one side - so that they ALL had a savannah view. If not, just do different point levels like at BWV.

Obviously, we're a bit obsessed about this! LOL! I would absolutely LOVE to see it happen!

Funny you should bring up this subject. I love AKL and would also want to stay there if not buy into it. BTW, my DH is from SLC. We are forever trying to convince his family to join us at the world. They think it's just like Disneyland. If they only knew!

We spent 1 night at AKL earlier this month and I fell in love with the place! After purchasing at BWV we added on at HH, since I didn't want another WDW resort. I would certainly change my mind if they ever built a DVC resort at AKL!

That would get my vote over both Eagle Pines and the Institute. That would give you a DVC home for each park.

There were some rumors about "AKV" or VAK from this board and from some CM's about the time BWV sold out but I have not heard anything lately.

But who knows what will happen after Eagle Pines and VDI.

We just left AKL in January and we loved that resort. My husband wants to go back to that resort. He told me the only draw back into buying BCV is AKL could not be his home resort. If I had told my husband while we were there at the AKL was going to be DVC he would have JUMPED to sign up then instead of signing up for the BCV.

PS We have put downpayment down yesterday and the financial paperwork should be arriving today or Monday. Looks like we are on our way to be BCV members.

Oh, I would love it if the AKL got its own DVC portion. Wow! What a thought! I would definitely add-on there. Like Minybear's husband, I have fallen in love with that resort.

We were fortunate enough to stay at the AKL Concierge in September (great AP rates!) and I happened to mention to a Concierge CM how great it would be to add some DVC Villas to the resort. He commented that there was really no place to put any villas because the land around the resort was too wet. I didn't argue but I can't help thinking that the engineers would be able to find some way to do it.

I, too, would buy into AKL DVC in an instant!

Michele

Adding villas to an existing resort seems to be a cost effective approach in many ways. When you think of being able to augment exsiting staffing for the registration desk, store, housekeeping, maintenance, etc. instead of creating completely seperate and duplicate shops, it would have to be less expensive and able to handle variable demand.

So, Animal Kingdom would make sense.

My DW and I just returned from the AKL and we also loved it. A DVC resort there would be awesome. If they think that the BCV is selling well, they should build at the AKL and watch the sales.

The problem with AKL is that you are forced to rely on Disney transportation, unless you rent a car. You aren't even allowed to walk to the Animal Kingdom theme park. One of the strongest selling points of BCV, is being able to walk to 2 parks. 3, if you count walking to Epcot, getting on the monorail, transfering at TTC, and then going to the Magic Kingdom.

True, but VWL is practically the same way, with the exception of the boat to MK. And OKW is EXACTLY the same way. We've stayed at AKL many times and have never had problems with Disney transportation.

It'd be just like any other DVC resort - to some folks the transportation and being within walking distance is a very big deal, to others it's not. For us, it depends on the trip and our mood - sometimes we'll stay at our BWV home for that very reason, and other times we'll stay at our VWL home to be off the beaten path, so to speak. I think AKL is very much comparable to VWL and OKW in that respect.

I'd think there would be two pretty major construction problems. The wetness that was mentioned, and "disturbing the animals." IIRC, Disney had some big problems getting the animals to settle in, causing some PR issues, and I can't imagine construction wouldn't have adverse effects (especially if you have to drive footings deep to compensate for wetness).

I have a feeling that any major construction they were going to do around AK was done before the animals arrived - and any new construction will be towards the front of the park - off Camp Minnie Mickey or Dinoland - as far away from skitish giraffe and gazelles as possible.

I'd buy into an AKLV in a second. It would even get me to add on after I buy at BCV. I love AKL and could spend time there without going to any parks!

I don't think Disney will build DVC there. AKL is just too far from anything but AK. And although I wouldn't object to not getting a savannah view (so long as they put in lots of animal overlooks like they have at AKL), many folks would insist on a savannah view from their rooms. Since I've heard DVC doesn't want to deal with two point levels after trying that at BWV, they'd have to make every room savannah view or make sure everyone knew they were not guaranteed a savannah view.

How did you add the AKV Founding Member photo? Thanks! Jackie Galiani.

Whoa! This has to be some kind of record for a resurrected thread. Just a few weeks shy of FIVE YEARS old! :)

Whoa! This has to be some kind of record for a resurrected thread. Just a few weeks shy of FIVE YEARS old! :)

5 Years ago and I remember this thread.... :sad2:

Anyways, I wonder how many of the 10 posters or so on page one have added on at AKV.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!