animal kingdom tour...only for premium rooms?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by hannymom, Apr 19, 2004.

1. hannymom

hannymom Mouseketeer

are there any animal kingdom experts out there that can help me with this question?
    i have read about an early morning tour at animal kingdom lodge, but also heard you can only book it if you are booked in a premium room. are there any ways of getting around that and still get the tour if you are in a savannah room?
    thank you

2. stinkerbelle

stinkerbelle In a #10 sort of way?<br><font color=green>Sometim

I believe you are talking about the Sunrise Safari?

Nope - sorry...it's only available to concierge guests - no way around it. This is a VERY popular tour, and books up very quickly.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. gizfish

gizfish We wants the redhead! Gives us the redhead!

There is a behind the scene tour of Animal Kingdom that is separate from the sunrise safari and only requires park admission and an additional $65.00 per person. It is called "the Backstage Safari" and runs for three hours. It includes a look at the veterinary hospital, stables and housing, warehouses, etc. I got this info from "the Unofficial Guide to Disney for Grown-ups." You can call (407) WDW-TOUR to book this or find out about other tours available.

5. Tiffany

Tiffany DIS Veteran

If you are referring to the Sunrise Safari then yes this tour is only avaiable to guests staying on the concierge level at the AKL. This is a tour of the savanna over at the AK before the park opens to guests and then you have a great buffet breakfast in a private room at Tusker House. We have done this twice and it is out of this world.

6. hannymom

hannymom Mouseketeer

thanks for your quick responses. if anyone knows any other secrets to a great time at animal kingdom lodge, let me know.

7. lisareniff

lisareniff DIS Veteran

There is a grand gathering safari that is at the end of the day at AK. You need to have at least 8 people staying at a disney resort registered as a grand gathering. The safari is very similar, from what I can gather, but instead of breakfast you have a buffet dinner at the Tusker House.

8. stinkerbelle

stinkerbelle In a #10 sort of way?<br><font color=green>Sometim

another thing available to AKL cocierge guests is the Sunset Safari. You are taking on a "safari" through the savannahs of the AKL in a very unique van. There is a limit of 8 people to this safari. Following the tour, you are treated to a WONDERFUL meal at Jiko. You are seated with everyone from your safari and course after course is brought out to you by the chef. It's amazing!

Cost is $150 per person (totally worth it!) and you must be a concierge guest.

Here are some pictures from when DH and I did this in January:
    http://users.adelphia.net/~jareddewey/sunsetsafari.html

We have done both the sunrise and sunset safaris and would not hesitate to do either again! We've also done the 'backstage safari' that gizfish mentioned - also well worth the money!