• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animal Kingdom Lodge vs. Wilderness Lodge--which would you choose?

My brother and his family go to Disney A LOT, and just this last trip (a couple weeks ago) they stayed at AKL. I've visited the resort too, so I know how it is, and my brother made a point of saying "While it was nice experience and different, it felt too much like a hotel rather than being at Disney. I don't think we'll be staying there in the near future." I can see where he's coming from, so for some reason it just doesn't click for us. Yes, the animals are a nice touch, and I can see how some people would pick that in a heartbeat, but considering you're not gonna be at the resort for most of your days, I'd want the limited time I have to feel like I'm in DISNEY. My brother and his family (he has 3 kids, 12, 8, and 4) have gone to WL multiple times, and they LOVE it! The ease of just hopping on a boat (which is a treat for many people) and going to the MK is SO worth the lack of 'animals' IMO. Being able to get to other resorts/monorail is also a plus. That, and the inside of the WL usually is pretty impressive when you first step in. :goodvibes

In the end it's your decision, but if were up to me, I'd pick WL. ::yes::

Wilderness Lodge! We have stayed at both and they are very similar in room size. My kids weren't really that impressed with the animals on the savanna. We like the pool better at WL as well. A thing we really enjoyed and I'm not sure they do this anymore was at WL we were the "flag family" one morning and got to help raise the flags over the lodge. One of the most memorable experiences of our many trips. If they still do it , you would definitely have to request it. Maybe others can share whether it is still being done.

We have stayed at both and Loved them both! My suggestion do a split stay and decide for yourself. I know it sounds like a hassle but Disney makes it very easy to do this.
Good Luck and don't worry your decision will be the right one.

IMO, one of the features that makes a deluxe resort worth the extra money is the alternate transportation to multiple parks. WL has the boat to MK which you can also take to CR, which opens up the possibility of other TS restaurants that are easy to get to as well as the option to take the monorail to Epcot by transferring through TTC. At AKL, the only option is the bus and some of the bus rides can be long ones at that, due to the remote location.

We're doing both on our upcoming trip. There was no more availability at AKL for a couple of nights so we're moving to WL. I'm very happy we're doing a split stay but I'm not sure I would have planned it that way if I wasn't forced to. I love AKL and think it really offers the most overall unique experience.

I Love both - can't get a vote out of me. :goodvibes

Animal kingdom lodge since it has real animals

WL also has real animals: We had a full grown wild deer in the woods right outside our patio last summer, and there are typically wild ducks (sometimes with ducklings) swimming in the pool. Not to mention the small rabbits that love munching the low shrubs.

We're doing both on our upcoming trip. There was no more availability at AKL for a couple of nights so we're moving to WL. I'm very happy we're doing a split stay but I'm not sure I would have planned it that way if I wasn't forced to. I love AKL and think it really offers the most overall unique experience.

This is what we do most stays too. Start off at one and move to the other. Key to me is to make sure we're moving to the larger room of the two not downsizing... and the longer half is in the larger room also.

We have stayed at both. Returning to AKL this year for a couple of reasons. 1. I love animals! 2. I have a dream of going to Africa one day 3. The food at Boma and the Mara are far and away better than the food at WL or BC, for that matter 4. We rent a car and choose to drive about half the time so the bus issue isn't an issue. We would definitely consider WL again, but AKL won out for this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter