Animal Kingdom Lodge vs. Wilderness Lodge Please Help Me Decide

FancyNancy

DIS Veteran
My family is travelling back to WDW for August 2018 and we are trying to decide between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge. It will be a large party with two rooms. I usually know exactly where I want to stay but deciding between these two is difficult. It would be my first time staying at either property. Any advice, suggestions, pro-tips would be super helpful! Thanks in advance to anyone giving input on this thread.
:thanks:

One thing to know - both resorts were designed by the same architect. If you look beyond the décor, they are very similar. WL will get you a short boat ride or bus ride from the MK. AKL will be a short bus ride to the AK (other parks will take a bit longer, but only maybe 15 minutes from the resort bus stop). WL has several dining areas, as does AKL. Both have DVC resorts attached to the hotels. Both have standard hotel rooms that only sleep four, but deluxe rooms that sleep five or six (plus the DVC villas that sleep up to eight in the two bedroom villa or twelve in the Grand Villa - but GV can be hard to get). AKL has the savannas with animals, so you really want to book that savanna room to be able to watch the animals from your room (otherwise you might as well stay anywhere to me). There are viewing areas all around the resort, but it just seems cooler sitting on your own balcony watching the animals. Both resorts have two pretty neat pools if that is important to you.

Stayed at the WL, not the AKL. The AKL is further from most parks, but does have a more extensive pool(s) areas. The WL is closer to the MK and monorail but the pool area to me was lacking. But you won't go wrong with either.

One thing to know - both resorts were designed by the same architect. If you look beyond the décor, they are very similar. WL will get you a short boat ride or bus ride from the MK. AKL will be a short bus ride to the AK (other parks will take a bit longer, but only maybe 15 minutes from the resort bus stop). WL has several dining areas, as does AKL. Both have DVC resorts attached to the hotels. Both have standard hotel rooms that only sleep four, but deluxe rooms that sleep five or six (plus the DVC villas that sleep up to eight in the two bedroom villa or twelve in the Grand Villa - but GV can be hard to get). AKL has the savannas with animals, so you really want to book that savanna room to be able to watch the animals from your room (otherwise you might as well stay anywhere to me). There are viewing areas all around the resort, but it just seems cooler sitting on your own balcony watching the animals. Both resorts have two pretty neat pools if that is important to you.

Thank you for all of the good information!

Both are wonderful. AKL seems more adult to me in terms of dining options and decor.. whereas WL has Whispering Canyon Cafe and the slide at the pool area. Both are amazing, I think it just depends what you want out of your Disney experience. I'm not saying WL is overrun with kids or anything, just seems slightly more kid-friendly than AKL. You're really close to Fort Wilderness if you're interested in going to the Hoop-de-Doo Review. WL has great adult options too like Artist Point. If you're planning to spend a large amount of time at MK, or if you want to dine at the MK-area resorts a lot, WL would be better.

I have stayed at AKL twice and enjoyed both trips. There are several kid friendly things to do in the lobby, the animal viewing is fun with CM there to talk with you or the kids. The night viewing goggles were a giant hit! My grands loved the pool and we enjoyed eating at Sanaa, Boma, and the food court. The bus ride to MK is not really that long. Several times we left the parks and went back to the room at midday to relax and swim.
I've only eaten at WL so I can't really compare the two. The boat ride to WL from MK seemed a little shorter than the bus ride from MK to AKL.
I think both resorts would be fun, think would you rather be in the mountains/national park type setting or on the African savanna?
Enjoy your trip!

PS - Do a split stay:)

Thank you everyone! It seems like both of these resorts are well loved for different reasons. I might just have to toss both resort names in a hat and pick one out. Either way, it doesn't seem like I can go wrong :D

They are both absolutely gorgeous. If you are spending more time in MK than the other parks, WL would get the slight edge from me. WL also has a lot of extra recreation options (boat rentals, basketball, pool table, boat and walking path to Ft. W to enjoy restaurants, the stables, etc.)

AKL has some of the best dining options. Depending on the length of your trip maybe consider a split stay with both resorts. I have a stay booked for a week in april in a 2BR at AKL -- I kept thinking about poly and snapped one day to make the first 3 days of our trip at the poly and then 4 nights at AKL. Transferring is super easy -- so on our transfer day we will get up early - have bell serivces pick up our luggage. they then handle moving it to AKL. We will make our transfer day an AK park day and then just return to AKL around 4pm for check in.

Experience both -- split stays sometimes seem like a daunting task to change resorts but it is not and you get 2 vacations in one.

We've stayed at both. We definitely prefer AKL. Both are beautiful resorts. AKL is a more unique experience. We felt the CMs were better and more interesting at AKL. There aren't too many places that you can walk out the back of the resort and watch giraffe, zebra, etc! We didn't feel that the travel time was that big a difference to the parks. Both are very nice. Enjoy whichever you choose!

I just want to thank everyone who took a little bit of time to help me out on this thread. We have decided to go with Wilderness Lodge due to it's proximity to Magic Kingdom, the Electric Water Pageant viewing and Fireworks viewing. Also we like Trails End at Fort Wilderness :) That being said I think when we go in 2019 we will stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge because it really was such a close call for us!

We went through the same process deciding between the two. My husband and I stayed at AKL 8+ yrs ago on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. We thought it was such a destination itself and loved eating at Boma and Jiko. Now, going for our first time this summer with our 5 yr. old son, we debated going to AKL because he does love animals. Ultimately, we chose Wilderness Lodge just for the sake of trying something different and it got an edge because of its proximity to MK where we plan on spending a good amount of time. Hope you enjoy your stay!!

Stayed at the WL, not the AKL. The AKL is further from most parks, but does have a more extensive pool(s) areas. The WL is closer to the MK and monorail but the pool area to me was lacking. But you won't go wrong with either.
The monorail runs by it off in the woods but it's not accessible from the WL. You'd have to take bus or boat as far as WDW transportation is concerned.

My family is travelling back to WDW for August 2018 and we are trying to decide between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge. It will be a large party with two rooms. I usually know exactly where I want to stay but deciding between these two is difficult. It would be my first time staying at either property. Any advice, suggestions, pro-tips would be super helpful! Thanks in advance to anyone giving input on this thread.
:thanks:
I love them both but for your situation I'd choose WL.

Here’s my two cents, although they may be worth much less than that....
1. Both resorts are amazing.
2. If you plan on being at the resort more than the parks go with AKL. There is so much to do you could spend a week just hanging out there.
3. If you plan on mostly parks I’d go with WL. Easy access to MK and shorter trips to parks when compared to AKL (except of course for AK).
4. If you are looking to explore monorail resorts or FW stay at WL.

Either way you will not be let down. They are both beautiful with wonderful amenities. Enjoy your trip!!

There is also something else to consider : are you planning on returning to Disney World again in the near future ?

If not, I'd lean towards Animal Kingdom Lodge as there really isn't any place like it with the exotic animals outside the rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter