angel food ministries

gigi1313

DIS Veteran
is anyone familiar with angel food ministries? we got our first order this weekend and i heartily endorse it for good quality, nice variety, inexpensive food!!

:wizard:

is anyone familiar with angel food ministries? we got our first order this weekend and i heartily endorse it for good quality, nice variety, inexpensive food!!

:wizard:

Yes, Our church participates and the one we have ROCK!:woohoo:

I think it varies regionally. I was disappointed when I tried it. Pre-made, high sodium, low quality. Glad you had a good experience.

Yes! I have been helping with the AFM program at my church for almost a year now and I love it. Did you know they have coupon codes each month? The codes for June 2010 are "PORKFREE10" which is good for $3 off the signature box and "GRILL10" which is good for $1.90 off Special #3 (flavored hamburgers). The codes are supposed to expire on June 20th. Hopefully someone here can use them.
If you are on facebook and look at their fan page, they will usually post the discount codes there each month. The discounts codes can only be used when placing online orders.

If you live in Florida, try the SHARE Florida food network. Similar to Angel Food, they have host sites throughout the state of FL and will soon have online ordering.

When I first heard about Angel Food, I thought it was a fantastic idea...a true "win-win" idea.

Then a few months ago I read a news story that unfortunately changed my mind (not about the idea...about the "administrators"). I was upset about the greed involved and have been thinking about how to start a similar idea but keeping more to the ideals I was originally attracted to.

You can decide for yourself...simply Google "Angel Food Ministries FBI" and you will see what I mean.

When I first heard about Angel Food, I thought it was a fantastic idea...a true "win-win" idea.

Then a few months ago I read a news story that unfortunately changed my mind (not about the idea...about the "administrators"). I was upset about the greed involved and have been thinking about how to start a similar idea but keeping more to the ideals I was originally attracted to.

You can decide for yourself...simply Google "Angel Food Ministries FBI" and you will see what I mean.

Yes, I read about that too. The place I mentioned above, SHARE, is a non-profit. Used to be a part of a program called World SHARE but now they all operate independently. I know a few other states besides Florida operate a SHARE program too but not sure which ones.

We have used it in the past. We too were not thrilled with the overly processed food and grissly meats.

We have stopped using it.

Dawn

We volunteer to pack out the boxes. We go monthly and all the food is a good qulity and the add on fresh fruit and veggie packs make them a good deal for many. For myself, I can do better with sales and couponing, but for those that lack the time to do that, the transportation to that, etc, it is a very good deal and a nice variety of mostly healthy foods.

I think it varies regionally. I was disappointed when I tried it. Pre-made, high sodium, low quality. Glad you had a good experience.

I agree with you - I've tried it twice. LOW grade foods, TONS of processed junk and very little "nutrition".

When you are considering Angel Food, take a SERIOUS look at the menu - add up what you would pay for the items - NOT WHAT THEY WOULD COST - to see if it's worth it for you.

Sure - a $30 box might cost $45 here in my area, but if I'm only going to use 1/2 of it, it's not worth it. When I say "use", I mean it's stuff that I would be buying anyway. I don't buy frozen veggies, as I don't like them.

The fruit/veggie boxes are very overpriced compared to what I can get on sale.

If I ate a bunch of processed food, then yes, it might be worth it, but honestly, even the "good" processed foods (meaning failsafe ones that most people like) are gross. The chicken nuggets last month were terrible, as were the french fries. I had to throw them out.

Waste of money for our family.

My advice - take a good hard look at what they are offering and jot down on a piece of paper what you'd be willing to pay for each item (when I do it, I try to keep it in .25 increments for easy adding) then add it up - is it over $30 by a lot? Then it's worth it for you. Is it close to $30 or under? If so, my advice would be to pass. BUT...do remember that the QUALITY of the food is not the same as in a grocery store - the steaks last month were terrible. We ate one and will be cutting the others up for stew beef because they were that bad!!

They have been cleared of all charges. I live locally to thier headquarters and it was BIG news when it first hit.

We purchased AFM boxes for about 6 months. The quality really went down hill as PP's have indicated. Too much was just inedible.

has anyone used greatfoodforall.com ? Our church does this program, but I've not tried it-i was never impressed with Angel food-so i just hesitate to try again

ive used angelfood ministries for over a year now. honestly i have cut my grocery bill in half thanks to them. i highly recommend them.

The stuff I pack out is not much in the way of processed. There were steaks, 90% lean hamburger, chicken leg quarters, ham steaks, dried pasta, jar of pasta sauce, can of baked beans, eggs, milk, cherry pie, onions, carrots, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, one on-cor frozen family style thing (yes, I know that is processed!). I know i am forgetting things but you get the gist.

Now the sr. convienience pack, kids after school pack (not the fresh fruit and veggie one), and some side dish items are prepackaged, high sodium and not so good for you items.

The fresh fruits and veggie add ons are nice and there is a kids fresh fruit and veggie pack as well. As others have said there are seafood add on packs as well as seasonal meats.

We go one Saturday per month and pack the boxes for the local small churches to come pick up to distribute to their congregation, and a few people stop in from the neighborhood to pick up as well.

thanks all for the feedback... we had our first order and were very pleased... the steaks were top notch, chicken sausage so lean and well flavored, tonight's marinated chicken breasts were excellent... we even liked the lasagne (which i did not expect to like as i don't typically care for it)...

i priced out the siganture box thru peapod.com (where i normally get my groceries) and the $30 box thru afm was nearly $65 thru peapod... that's a huge savings for us...

on the june menu there is a grill box (i think) w/2lbs of ribeye steaks, 2 lbs of pork chops and 1.5 lbs of turkey medallions wrapped in bacon for $23... here, the ribeyes are $10.99/lb... so those alone (after the coupon) pay for the box so basically, the pork chops and turkey are "free!"

the only frozen veggies i've tried thusfar was the zucchini and it was outstanding... i sauteed it in a little olive oil, added some onion (from afm), some peppers (farmstand) and tomatoes (afm) and it made a great side dish w/the chicken... we were very pleased :)

granted it's not all what i would choose when shopping, but we are liking trying new things and getting new variety... and that's not a bad thing! :)

I've tried AFM a few times. I'm not a big fan of the signature box because it is often very fatty, fried food but we usually pick up some of the Signature steak and meat boxes. The steak is some of the most tender I've ever gotten.

has anyone used greatfoodforall.com ? Our church does this program, but I've not tried it-i was never impressed with Angel food-so i just hesitate to try again

We have bought both Angel Food and Great Food, and I thought the GF food was much better. We bought AF for a couple of years, but the quality seemed to steadily decline so we stopped. But the Great Food boxes are about the same quality as what we got from Angel Food when we first started, and the same price as the AF boxes. If I had to choose, GF would be my choice hands down.

Yes! I have been helping with the AFM program at my church for almost a year now and I love it. Did you know they have coupon codes each month? The codes for June 2010 are "PORKFREE10" which is good for $3 off the signature box and "GRILL10" which is good for $1.90 off Special #3 (flavored hamburgers). The codes are supposed to expire on June 20th. Hopefully someone here can use them.
If you are on facebook and look at their fan page, they will usually post the discount codes there each month. The discounts codes can only be used when placing online orders.

Thanks for the codes I have using Angel Foods and love the varity and quality for our area. Along with Aldies and Stocking meats from SAM's, our food cost has gone down 60%. It keeps us out of the store for extra's we picked up.

I use a google search for angel food codes and have new online order ones each month. I did not look for June yet. :surfweb:

Now a low cost summer drink in bulk would help. One year did Ice Tea powder, soda on sale, koolaid mixes, I hate the sugar content. Last year we made solar tea, added razberry flavor from SAM'S Club and fridge it. Fresh lemone aid, but cost and work.....
Always have water cold.

I do buy the fruit pouches for the kids on sale, but they go through 2 at a time.

Glad that more people are finding budget home help ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter