Andy's Rental Car at Grand Cayman ?

"Ginger"

Sailing, sailing away is where I want to be....
We are going to be there on Oct 7, we want to rent a jeep wrangler while there to drive to Rum Point Beach. I've made a request to Andy's car rental but all I get back is a standard form letter. I've also asked if they have a shuttle to pick us up at the ships pier.
Has anyone used them lately and can you tell me if they have a pick up shuttle at the pier.

It's been a couple years since we had our encounter with Andy's. They did come for us at the pier. I can't complain about how long it took because I have no frame of reference as to how long other companies take to pick up. It seemed like a really long time considering how long it actually took to reach Andy's once the van arrived.

There isn't anything in your post to warrant this story but I want to tell you anyway. We didn't wind up renting from Andy's. The employee who handled our reservation tried to pull a fast one and as a result we walked out, crossed the street to a large hotel across the street and rented a car from another company who had a desk in the lobby of that hotel. I can't remember which car rental company it was but it was one of the big names. Their cruise ship rate was better than Andy's anyway.

The fast one Andy's pulled went like this. While the kids waited, dh and I approached the counter to rent the car I had reserved online. Dh started filling out the paperwork with the employee. Since dh was the driver whose license we were using to rent the car but it was my credit card we were using to pay for it, the employee insisted we had to buy full coverage insurance. That, of course did not make sense and I said I didn't understand that policy since it's never been asked of us before. She started to look unsure about it and said she would ask her manager. She disappeared into another room and when she came back to us, she said we could just pay a 75.00 fee. I said if we're going to rent this car we'll rent it at the quoted price without the insurance or this fee. She disappeared again and when she came back, she said she was mistaken, the fee was 50.00. I said no thanks and we left.

Be careful. Maybe, you won't have any problems with Andy's, but if you do, don't forget you are walking distance from other car rental agencies and that they also have pretty good cruise passenger deals. I'm thinking it was Avis we dealt with. Whoever it was, they were very accommodating about returning us to the pier.

Thanks yazee1 for sharing your experience about Andy's with me. I can't believe they wanted to charge you $75. over your quote:eek::scared1: . That's a rip off.

I've haven't gotten a quote from them, I have put in 2 request but all I get back from them is a form letter.

We have used them in the past but it's been like 5 years since our last visit there. At that time we didn't make any reservations with them just got the bus to their location. We had no problems and that why I wanted to use them again, but after your response and since I'm not really get any reply from them I'm afraid to use them.
I think I'll just email Avis.

I can see why you'd go with what you know. It was fine last time, right? I imagine Andy's is okay or no worse than any other independent agency most of the time. It seems to be common knowledge that car rental businesses will try all kinds of tricks to bump up the price of car rental.

Dh is a "go-along" kind of guy sometimes. He hates to return things to stores, comparison shop, and won't haggle on the price of anything. He was so embarrassed when I told the lady we weren't taking the car and we'd find a better deal. As if getting a ride to their office obligated us to do business with them. I think not. LOL. Honestly, I didn't make a scene or behave rudely. I just said what I said matter-of-factly.

When we walked outside their office, he turned to me and said, "What are we going to do now?" as if this place was the only rental agency for miles and there was no such thing as a taxi. I said, "We're going to walk across this street to one of those nice big hotels and ask where to rent a car." To his credit, he does appreciate my efforts to manage our money. I think he's even proud of it.

Will you let us know how you do with Avis?

Hi there...not trying to alarm you, but I personally can tell you that we had a bad experience with Andy's. We flew to Grand Cayman in the summer of 2007 and had a rental set up with them when we arrived at the airport. We paid a premium price to get a convertible. Well, the car they gave us was all dinged up, the door sounded like it was coming off the hinges, and the seats were damp and smelled mildewy! (Obviously the previous customer had left the roof down.) We immediately turned it in and ended up going to I think it was Avis and got a much nicer car and just felt better in general dealing with the people there. It may cost a few extra dollars to go with a larger company, but it's worth it!

Thanks for your replies. I've contacted Avis by internet, requesting a reservation, but have not heard back from them yet.
I also replied to Andy's email form letter requesting them to give me a written quote. If I have to go with them I'm going armed with thier own words. If I don't get anything back from them we will avoid them completely.

We want to rent a Jeep Wrangler only a few rental companies offer them.

Andy's has mixed reviews on some of the GC boards. We were looking for the same thing.

[QUOTE="Ginger";27852135]Thanks for your replies. I've contacted Avis by internet, requesting a reservation, but have not heard back from them yet.
I also replied to Andy's email form letter requesting them to give me a written quote. If I have to go with them I'm going armed with thier own words. If I don't get anything back from them we will avoid them completely.

We want to rent a Jeep Wrangler only a few rental companies offer them.[/QUOTE]

We also wanted a Jeep last time but there was no way we could fit us and our luggage in a Jeep, so we went with a convertible. But in your case since you are not staying on the island that is not an issue...;)

Back in 2001, DH and I flew to GCM (before kids) and stayed at the Westin Causarina on 7 Mile Beach. They had a rental car office in the hotel, and I'm pretty sure it was Avis. We got a Jeep that time and totally loved it!

Where are you planning to drive to? There is a wonderful little-known beach near Rum Point called Starfish Beach and you can wade in the water about waist deep and pull out starfish literally bigger than your hand! DD totally loved it!!! I highly recommend it.

We are going to Rum Point, it's a hours drive from town. I want to have everything lined up before we go so we won't be wasting time. Plus we wanted to visit Hell and go to the rum cake factory.

Definitely check with Avis Cayman, they have the best rates through Cayman Islands Discounts - Avis Cayman

Another way to go to Rum Point in on the Cayman Outrage Eco Tour it takes you snorkeling if you want or you can go tubing or go to starfish beach and hold starfish, stingray city if you want and ofcourse Rum Point. Its an amazing tour, my favorite in Cayman. He even has fishing rods if you want to try it:-)

I looked at the site and it looks wonderful but $400. for a half a day is just a little out of my price range.
Thank you Wavegirl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter