Anaheim A's?

airlarry!

Did you know some ferns date back to Prehistoric t
Peter Gammons is reporting on ESPN.com that Disney "so wants out of baseball that it would consider folding the Angels, which would allow owners Ken Hofmann and Steve Schott to move the A's from Oakland to Anaheim."

Contraction is the biggest talk in MLB ownership news these days, and we may soon see the day that Disney is out of the baseball business altogether.

http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2001/0609/1211760.html

Well right now it looks like these are the top choices for contraction:

1. Montreal Expos
2. Minnesota Twins
3. Florida Marlins
4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
5. Kansas City Royals
6. Oakland A's

So that theory doesn't hold true.

I'm not so sure forced contraction is going to happen anyway...but I do see the possibility of both Florida teams being combined into one, Montreal moving somewhere else, Twinkies staying put, and the Angels dissolving with the A's moving over. That could happen.

The talk is anywhere from 2-4 teams disappearing (and Montreal will either disappear or be moved. That to me is the only given).

I think it has to happen.

Montreal has not worked. The LSU - Tulane Super Regional outdrew a Montreal v. East-leading Phillies matchup two weeks. ago. When college baseball outdraws major league baseball it is time to move.

As Romey said, Les Expos' fans only go if Gagne is pitching. And he can only pitch there once or twice a year.

The (suddenly best friends) tag-team partnership of Alex Penelas and (Loco) Joe Carollo will figure out a way to grift South Florida taxpayers into funding a new stadium. That will keep the Marlins around for about another 5 years. Won't boost attendance, though.

Combining the Rays and the Marlins?? Afraid I haven't heard talk of that. Not sure how that would work, either (from a contractual standpoint as well as a "rest of the league" standpoint.)

I'm just not convinced that MLB is really ready to make these kinds of whirlwind changes. It's been what, 35 years since a team moved?

Yeah, Gammons mentions that new one for me too, namely, combining the two Florida franchises and making one franchise out near Orlando. Maybe the Kissimee Astros? ;)

I would agree with you on such a radical thing not happening in MLB (with the stodgy group that historically has made up the owners).

But look at the past few years of tinkering: unbalanced schedules, the dreaded Interleague play, strike zones, umpire fights, labor troubles. This group has shown it can and will do anything for more money.

But what if Disney gets rid of the Angels in favor of the Orlando Eisners? No rumor of that at all?

Contraction would be nice but I agree, it'll be a tough sell. The players union sure doesn't wanna lose all those $$$ ... errrr, I mean members.

Remember, the owners aren't the only folks in it for $$$. If contraction doesn't come about there'll be more than enough blame for both sides.

I do think it'd be good for the game right now though.

Ummm...?? Guys? We seem to have wandered afield from the Disney connection here. Can we go back to it, or would you mind turning it into an e-mail discussion?

Thanks,

Sarangel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!