An Obsessive Planner's Spontaneous Last Minute Trip to WDW - A June 2019 TR Update 10/20

Good evening! I hope everybody is enjoying the summer so far!

About a week ago I spent the day in Toronto and saw The Lion King on stage with some friends.

I've also been busy at work which isn't so bad when I have lovely views like this.

Day 2 - June 8 - Animal Kingdom

After our safari we were both hungry but it was too early for lunch so we decided to split a Mickey pretzel with cheese sauce. It was yummy and sure hit the spot!

We devoured the pretzel in minutes and then decided to go visit the Gorilla Falls trail.

The lemurs were out and adorable as always.

Some cast members showed up, presumably to feed them, and they all were on high alert and ran over to the rear of their exhibit.

The hippo was also very popular with both the park guests and the fish. The fish were all over the hippo's face. Never seen them do that before. I overheard somebody say the fish were eating the dead skin off the face of the hippo. Not sure if that was true or not.

Next up is the highlight of the trail, the gorillas!

The female gorilla exhibit was packed! There was a momma sitting by the glass with her baby cradled in her lap. Very cute.

I waited my turn and slowly edged my way closer to get a look and snap a photo or two.

While getting my photo a rude mother pushed her child in front of me and then elbowed me to get in front of me as well to get a photo of her child. I would not have minded if she had asked if her child could step in front of me in order to see the gorilla and baby but it is going too far to elbow or push other guests out of the way because you are too impatient to wait your turn. I have just as much of a right to see and photograph the gorilla as anybody else. I can't stand entitled behaviour no matter the venue. I have rarely had issues at WDW with this type of behaviour but I have read about it happening to others, especially in regards to parents thinking they have more rights because they are there with a kid. WDW is for everybody and I wish everybody respected that. I will certainly make room for a child in front of me but please don't push me out of the way!

Rant over.

Disgusted by her behaviour and wanting to escape the crowd I backed away and found mom who was hanging back as she did not want to wade into the crowd to get a closer look.

The male gorillas were too far back to really see properly at this time and we needed to head back to Pandora anyways to use our fastpass for Navi River Journey.

We were a few minutes early for our fastpass so we found somewhere to sit and relaxed as we watched the drummers and messaged Alek and Erich to let them know how our morning was going.

We tapped into Navi once the performance was over and had maybe a five minute wait. They did squeeze Mom and I into a row with two other people. I don't know why CM's do this, it was a tight fit with four adults in that row and I don't exactly fancy basically sitting on top of a stranger. None of us in that row were waif-like in build either.

Despite being forced to be awfully friendly with the two strangers in our row it was a nice ride through Pandora.

We considered getting lunch in Pandora but we were not feeling adventurous this day so we moved on with our park touring. Instead we got some Night Blossoms to drink as we wandered over to Dino-land where I was hoping to see Chip and Dale. I had so much fun meeting them last year in their Dino costumes so I wanted Mom to meet them too.

On the way there we wandered past Scrooge.

Unfortunately, Chip and Dale were not out when we arrived and there was not even a line so I wasn't sure if they would be back out soon. We briefly considered riding Dinosaur but decided against it as I have an injured shoulder (been going on for months) and I didn't think the rough jostling on that ride would be a good idea.

We decided to do a mobile order for Restaurantosaurus as we had some down time at that moment and I wanted to stay in the area to see if Chip and Dale would come back out.

We had never done Mobile Order before and it stressed Mom out as she does not adapt well to new technology. She prefers talking to somebody in person to order even though I showed her that she could customize her meal in the app (she didn't want sauce on her sandwich).

While eating lunch I modified our evening safari fastpass as I didn't think either of us was going to last that long in the park that day. This meant that we would need to head back to Africa shortly after finishing our lunch.

The food at Restaurantosaurus was decent but nothing special. It filled the hole in our stomachs and that is all we were after at that point.

Chip and Dale never did come out again and we lingered for quite awhile. That was disappointing.

I did stop to visit with Launchpad though on our way out of Dinoland. He was very interactive and spent a good chunk of time with me.

They did squeeze Mom and I into a row with two other people. I don't know why CM's do this, it was a tight fit with four adults in that row and I don't exactly fancy basically sitting on top of a stranger.
This happened to us, we were with 2 very tall men, it was rather uncomfortable.
did stop to visit with Launchpad though on our way out of Dinoland. He was very interactive and spent a good chunk of time with me.
Andi thought he was creepy, lol! I made her meet him with me and she really liked him, he was fun to meet, very interactive!

Ugh, pushy people stink! I feel like an expensive vacation like Disney makes people feel more entitled (if we spent $xxx, we're going to make the most of it) because they forget that everyone else spent a whole lot, too.

I don't know why those Navi boats are always jammed, but it seems to be pretty consistent. My guess is that CMs have been told it has to be 4 to a row give how long the standby line always is.

The fish were all over the hippo's face. Never seen them do that before. I overheard somebody say the fish were eating the dead skin off the face of the hippo. Not sure if that was true or not.
🤢
I will certainly make room for a child in front of me but please don't push me out of the way!
I’m sorry you had to deal with this. I have seen the behavior so much, and it makes me so mad. As a parent it is even more frustrating because they’re modeling that behavior for their children and creating more monsters.

Sorry you didn’t get to see the chipmunks, Launchpad is pretty cool though.

I have rarely had issues at WDW with this type of behaviour but I have read about it happening to others, especially in regards to parents thinking they have more rights because they are there with a kid. WDW is for everybody and I wish everybody respected that.

Ugh, I feel the same way! I actually saw a viral post on social media that someone was complaining when people without children go to Disney :rolleyes2 Last I checked, we're all paying to be here and we all enjoy it here soooo.

I hate how they put four people in a row. I think they would be better off doing two and then putting in a single rider line because three would be good. Not four!

I feel like Launchpad is usually a good meet, especially since he never gets as much love as the others!

The hippo was also very popular with both the park guests and the fish. The fish were all over the hippo's face. Never seen them do that before. I overheard somebody say the fish were eating the dead skin off the face of the hippo. Not sure if that was true or not.
Yeah, most hippo pools have fish to eat the dead skin, food remnants, and waste (or else the pool would be too cloudy). If the guy had recently eaten, they could also be eating any excess off his face!
The female gorilla exhibit was packed! There was a momma sitting by the glass with her baby cradled in her lap. Very cute.

I waited my turn and slowly edged my way closer to get a look and snap a photo or two.

What a cutie!
While getting my photo a rude mother pushed her child in front of me and then elbowed me to get in front of me as well to get a photo of her child. I would not have minded if she had asked if her child could step in front of me in order to see the gorilla and baby but it is going too far to elbow or push other guests out of the way because you are too impatient to wait your turn. I have just as much of a right to see and photograph the gorilla as anybody else. I can't stand entitled behaviour no matter the venue. I have rarely had issues at WDW with this type of behaviour but I have read about it happening to others, especially in regards to parents thinking they have more rights because they are there with a kid. WDW is for everybody and I wish everybody respected that. I will certainly make room for a child in front of me but please don't push me out of the way!
Argh! So annoying and rude!
We tapped into Navi once the performance was over and had maybe a five minute wait. They did squeeze Mom and I into a row with two other people. I don't know why CM's do this, it was a tight fit with four adults in that row and I don't exactly fancy basically sitting on top of a stranger. None of us in that row were waif-like in build either.
Thankfully I've found lately if I ask nicely, they won't fill the whole row with adults. When I rode with mom, my friend Zach, and Zach's dad, they went ahead and put us in our own boat (so 2 people per row)! Very nice! We also got stuck for a bit, so it would have been very uncomfortable!

Glad you enjoyed lion king.

Adorable pics of the lemurs, hippo and gorillas...ugh on the mum trying to push her child in front of you. No need for it.

A shame that chip and dale didn’t make an appearance but seems like you had a good meet and greet with Launchpad.

Sounds like a fun day at AK! You got some great pictures on the safari too!

On our last trip, I had a mom direct her kids to go stand directly in front of my kids during Illuminations. Ridiculous, entitled people.

That stinks that you missed Chip and Dale - they are so cute in their dino costumes!

I overheard somebody say the fish were eating the dead skin off the face of the hippo. Not sure if that was true or not.

Makes sense to me!

I would not have minded if she had asked if her child could step in front of me in order to see the gorilla and baby but it is going too far to elbow or push other guests out of the way because you are too impatient to wait your turn.

I'm tired of it, and have decided that people are going to start to hear about back from me. "Um, excuse me, you'll have to wait your turn just like everyone else." <pushes back in in front of them to drive the point home> They will not learn if nothing is said or they aren't confronted.

48310860617_06a1927e60_z.jpg

Never get tired of that view!

Aw, it's my friend Mauvi Navi!

After our safari we were both hungry but it was too early for lunch so we decided to split a Mickey pretzel with cheese sauce. It was yummy and sure hit the spot!
Mickey shaped food is always the most delicious!
Oh my gosh, I would have been so angry. I am sorry that happened to you. I honestly don't understand the attitude and entitlement of some people.
They made us go in a row of four as well and it was very uncomfortable.
Chip and Dale never did come out again and we lingered for quite awhile. That was disappointing.
Too bad!
I did stop to visit with Launchpad though on our way out of Dinoland. He was very interactive and spent a good chunk of time with me.
I met with Launchpad in March and it was a super fun meet too!

This happened to us, we were with 2 very tall men, it was rather uncomfortable.

Ugh, it turns me off from going on that ride.

Andi thought he was creepy, lol! I made her meet him with me and she really liked him, he was fun to meet, very interactive!

:laughing: Why did she think he was creepy?

Ugh, pushy people stink! I feel like an expensive vacation like Disney makes people feel more entitled (if we spent $xxx, we're going to make the most of it) because they forget that everyone else spent a whole lot, too.

I think you are right about their mentality. Have you seen the rant that went viral on social media from some mother that said you should be banned from WDW if you don't have kids? All because she didn't want to stand in line for a pretzel for her kid and she saw a childless woman with a pretzel... :confused3

I don't know why those Navi boats are always jammed, but it seems to be pretty consistent. My guess is that CMs have been told it has to be 4 to a row give how long the standby line always is.

That may be true but it makes me less likely to ride it in the future, not every enjoyable being cheek to cheek with a stranger.

I’m sorry you had to deal with this. I have seen the behavior so much, and it makes me so mad. As a parent it is even more frustrating because they’re modeling that behavior for their children and creating more monsters.

Exactly!

Sounds like a fun afternoon! Except the rude mother in the gorilla exhibit, so uncalled for!!

I'm glad people agree and don't think I was being too sensitive.

Ugh, I feel the same way! I actually saw a viral post on social media that someone was complaining when people without children go to Disney :rolleyes2 Last I checked, we're all paying to be here and we all enjoy it here soooo.

I saw that too. Freaking hilarious that some people can have beliefs like that.

I hate how they put four people in a row. I think they would be better off doing two and then putting in a single rider line because three would be good. Not four!

That is a great idea!

Thankfully I've found lately if I ask nicely, they won't fill the whole row with adults. When I rode with mom, my friend Zach, and Zach's dad, they went ahead and put us in our own boat (so 2 people per row)! Very nice! We also got stuck for a bit, so it would have been very uncomfortable!

That is nice that they did that for you! Guess it depends on the CM's!

A shame that chip and dale didn’t make an appearance but seems like you had a good meet and greet with Launchpad.

I was super disappointed as they are so cute. At least I got to meet them last year!

On our last trip, I had a mom direct her kids to go stand directly in front of my kids during Illuminations. Ridiculous, entitled people.

Wow, that is unbelievable. People are crazy.

I'm tired of it, and have decided that people are going to start to hear about back from me. "Um, excuse me, you'll have to wait your turn just like everyone else." <pushes back in in front of them to drive the point home> They will not learn if nothing is said or they aren't confronted.

Good for you! Maybe someday I will speak up as well. I am known for being very assertive. I am the go to person at work when people need a patient/family member/co-worker to be put in their place. :laughing:

Mickey shaped food is always the most delicious!

I agree! Waffles, ice cream, pretzels, all better when Mickey shaped!

Day 2 - June 8 - Animal Kingdom

I had rescheduled our late day safari fastpass for the afternoon since I knew we would run out of gas before the evening fastpass came open. One of these days I will get to do an evening safari!

It was another great safari although my injured shoulder did get jostled a few times which was fairly painful.

The highlight of this safari was the rhinos which were more active than usual and were roaming about and very close to the road. We also got to see a hippo out of water which is a rarity as they are typically soaking in the water.

After the safari I was thrilled to see the bachelor gorillas hanging out by the falls. I spent quite a bit of time watching them. I think the gorillas are my favourite animals at the park. I love that Disney has created such a lovely and large space for these beautiful animals.

We decided to see the next show of Festival of the Lion King but we still had some time until we needed to line up so we decided to grab a delicious frozen treat, Dole Whips!

I got a regular Dole Whip

Mom got the Simba Sunset - pineapple with watermelon, strawberry and coconut-flavored syrup

I love that you can get Dole Whips in the other parks now instead of just in MK.

After cooling down in the shade with our yummy treats we went and got in line for Festival of the Lion King. We made sure to stay in the shaded parts of the queue as it was scorching hot that afternoon.

The show was amazing as always. I got really teary at the end in the part where they pick kids from the audience to parade around during the final number. One of the cast members from the show was pushing around a child in a wheelchair, they looked as though they may have had cerebral palsy, and it gave me all the feels that they made sure that this child was able to participate in the show just like any other kid. I am a sap that way.

Once I pulled myself together again we sauntered over to Asia where we picked up some ice waters and tapped into the Finding Nemo fastpass that I had picked up while waiting for the Lion King.

We were at the front of the pack so we got to pick our spots in the theatre. I like that there was an actual advantage to having a fastpass for Nemo unlike FoTL where they just separate the sections by fastpass and standby.

The show was enjoyable especially as we had not seen it on our last few trips so it felt fresh to us. It was also nice to sit in the air conditioning and I like that there are backrests on the benches so you can really relax.

After Nemo we decided it was time to leave the park. We were feeling pretty drained after our very early start and the heat wasn't helping.

We did browse the gift shops before we left where I was thrilled to see a stuffed Lucifer. I love when there is random character merchandise in the shops.

Back at the resort we found this lovely bag of dirty linen just left in the hall outside our room. There were no mousekeeping carts around so presumably it was forgotten. It was still there the next morning when we left for the parks again.

We went to the Pop Century food court but nothing really spoke to us so we decided to walk over to Art of Animation and check out their food court. We walked past the Skyliner station that is under construction on the bridge between Pop and AoA. I will be really interested to hear what people have to say about the Skyliner when it opens. Just as we reached the Nemo pool at AoA the skies opened up and it started to pour. We hustled the rest of the way and luckily didn't get too drenched.

I did the create your own pasta meal and I can't remember what mom got. We both enjoyed our meals, it was good for food court offerings.

That night Moana was on tv so I watched that before falling asleep. We had another early morning ahead of us the next day!

One of these days I will get to do an evening safari!

Evening safari is on my list as well, I never get around to it! Your pictures are amazing though! I feel like I never get good shots when I go.

I love that you can get Dole Whips in the other parks now instead of just in MK.

Whaaaat, not sure how I missed this, that's good info. The one your mom got looks delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts