An Obsessive Planner's Spontaneous Last Minute Trip to WDW - A June 2019 TR Update 10/20

Day 2 - June 8 - Animal Kingdom

I went against the advise of the crowd calendars this day and against my usual touring habits of avoiding extra magic hours. The reason I did this is that due to the last minute nature of the trip I was unable to secure fastpasses for Flight of Passage. This was the only day of the trip where Animal Kingdom had 7am extra magic hours (the other days it was 8am extra magic hours) and I wanted to take advantage of that to get on Flight of Passage at least once but hopefully twice. I figured that since we had fastpasses for Navii River Journey, Kilimanjaro Safari and Everest that we would be able to handle the potentially higher crowds in the park that day since everything else we tend to be interested in is a large capacity show or an animal trail that doesn't really get super busy.

I woke up at the very early hour of 5am (only something I do willingly in Disney) with the goal of being out of the room and on the way to Animal Kingdom by 6am.

For the most part we stuck to that and here is Pop Century at 605am as we were leaving.

We were at the entrance of Animal Kingdom at 626am.

There was already quite the crowd built up as expected but we were still fairly close to the front of the pack when they started to let us in.

Just like last year they let us into the park at 0630 despite extra magic hours not starting until 7am. This is something that people really need to be aware of because if you show up right at the scheduled start of EMH or even slightly after you will be at a huge disadvantage if your goal is to get on Flight of Passage.

As we were scanning our bands Mom had forgotten from all our previous trips that you have to scan your finger so that caused a very small but funny (for me) delay.

Soon though we were hustling towards Pandora. I really emphasized to Mom that this was not the time to saunter along and asked her to please walk as quickly as she could otherwise our front of the pack advantage would be lost as more and more people spilled into the park. I think I almost killed Mom. I am proud of her though, she really pushed herself although she was a little hot and sweaty by the time we got to Pandora.

Once we got into Pandora we could slow down as we were now part of the Flight of Passage line. They started organizing us into a line almost as soon as we were in the land. That being said the line was constantly moving and so we never really stopped moving until we were in the final part of the indoor queue.

I think the initial part of the outdoor queue is my favourite, it is so pretty.

Here we are waiting to be sent into the pre-show chamber at 654am.

Right at 7am they started to send people into the various pre-show rooms. We got sent up some stairs to one of the upper theatres which I had never done in the past. So even though they let everybody into the park at 630am they don't actually let people onto the ride until 7am.

The ride was amazing as always and I was very happy that we made the effort to wake up super early and get to the park for EMH.

We then did something I never thought that I would do. We got back in line to ride again. Even though it was only 0724am the line had now extended all the way to Africa.

Even though that was where the line was when we joined it I had faith that the wait wouldn't be too bad, and by that I mean an hour or less, because once again the line was constantly moving. I think the reason for this initial back up into Africa of the line was because they switched from feeding us into the fastpass queue and switched to the standby queue.

Even though the line was longer than I would normally wait (it ended up being about an hour) it wasn't too bad as we got to check out the standby queue which we had never seen in the past and it was air conditioned which was also great as it was already steaming hot outside.

I loved all the different areas of the queue - the bioluminescent areas, the lab, getting to see the avatars in the link chamber.

We spent our time in line chatting with those around us, checking out the queue and refreshing fastpasses. I was able to get our Navii River Journey fastpass moved from the evening to the morning so I was happy with that. I decided to leave our evening Safari and Everest fastpasses where they were for the moment.

I felt bad for a little girl that was in line near us, she was not feeling well at all and so she and her dad eventually sat down in a corner of the queue hoping that some time resting and in the air-conditioning would help her feel better. He was thinking that the early morning and the heat were the culprit. I really hope she felt better as it is no fun being ill on vacation.

Mom and I got into a bit of an argument as she said that on our next trip we should advise Sarah (Alek's girlfriend) and Jess(Erich's fiancee) that if they don't like drops that they should just close their eyes on the ride as she admitted that is what she does. I was miffed. I told Mom that if you are going to close your eyes on Flight of Passage that you may as well not even ride as the whole thing is dependent on your visual experience. I think it would be selfish to take a seat on the ride if you are just going to close your eyes through it all or most of it. She did not agree with me because "who would want to wait around while others ride". I personally feel there is so much else you could experience while others ride if you feel you can't handle the ride rather than taking a seat from somebody else who would actually love to experience the whole ride.

Anyways, we moved on from our argument and had another enjoyable ride in which Mom claims that she did NOT close her eyes. :laughing:

By the time we got off the ride and Mom used the washroom it was now 9am and the park was open for the day.

Even though we only got to ride FoP twice in the two hours of EMH I was satisfied with our use of that time because there was no way we would have been able to ride a second time with a shorter wait later in the day and we still had the whole day ahead of us to see the rest of the park.

Just like last year they let us into the park at 0630 despite extra magic hours not starting until 7am. This is something that people really need to be aware of because if you show up right at the scheduled start of EMH or even slightly after you will be at a huge disadvantage if your goal is to get on Flight of Passage.

Yes, you MUST arrive WAY sooner than posted opening time if you stand a snowball's chance in H of riding it without a HUGE wait.

48199888532_b66a840fdb_z.jpg

So pretty in the Golden Hour.

Right at 7am they started to send people into the various pre-show rooms. We got sent up some stairs to one of the upper theatres which I had never done in the past. So even though they let everybody into the park at 630am they don't actually let people onto the ride until 7am.

I've never done that either.

It's so pretty from up there. WAY more colorful I think.

Anyways, we moved on from our argument and had another enjoyable ride in which Mom claims that she did NOT close her eyes. :laughing:

LOL! Glad you had such a fun morning!

I admire your dedication getting back in line for the second ride. I wouldn't have hopped into a line backed up to Africa even if I knew logically that it would keep moving as EMH doesn't have the complication of FP returners.

So cool that you got to see the standby queue. I think your right that a combined 2 hours for 2 rides is the best you'll ever get without the benefit of FPs.

Yes, you MUST arrive WAY sooner than posted opening time if you stand a snowball's chance in H of riding it without a HUGE wait.

I feel bad for those who don't know this and show up right at the start of EMH thinking they are ahead of the game only to realize they are way behind.

It's so pretty from up there. WAY more colorful I think.

I agree, the queue is so beautiful.

I admire your dedication getting back in line for the second ride. I wouldn't have hopped into a line backed up to Africa even if I knew logically that it would keep moving as EMH doesn't have the complication of FP returners.

So cool that you got to see the standby queue. I think your right that a combined 2 hours for 2 rides is the best you'll ever get without the benefit of FPs.

I know, on a regular trip in which we had more time and had fastpasses there is absolutely no way you would get me to wait in a line like that but on this trip I was throwing all my usual habits out the window. That being said the wait wasn't bad and the queue is interesting to experience and it gave me time to play around with refreshing fastpasses.

I went against the advise of the crowd calendars this day and against my usual touring habits of avoiding extra magic hours. The reason I did this is that due to the last minute nature of the trip I was unable to secure fastpasses for Flight of Passage. This was the only day of the trip where Animal Kingdom had 7am extra magic hours (the other days it was 8am extra magic hours) and I wanted to take advantage of that to get on Flight of Passage at least once but hopefully twice. I figured that since we had fastpasses for Navii River Journey, Kilimanjaro Safari and Everest that we would be able to handle the potentially higher crowds in the park that day since everything else we tend to be interested in is a large capacity show or an animal trail that doesn't really get super busy.

I woke up at the very early hour of 5am (only something I do willingly in Disney) with the goal of being out of the room and on the way to Animal Kingdom by 6am.

For the most part we stuck to that and here is Pop Century at 605am as we were leaving.

There was already quite the crowd built up as expected but we were still fairly close to the front of the pack when they started to let us in.

As we were scanning our bands Mom had forgotten from all our previous trips that you have to scan your finger so that caused a very small but funny (for me) delay.

Soon though we were hustling towards Pandora. I really emphasized to Mom that this was not the time to saunter along and asked her to please walk as quickly as she could otherwise our front of the pack advantage would be lost as more and more people spilled into the park. I think I almost killed Mom. I am proud of her though, she really pushed herself although she was a little hot and sweaty by the time we got to Pandora.

Once we got into Pandora we could slow down as we were now part of the Flight of Passage line. They started organizing us into a line almost as soon as we were in the land. That being said the line was constantly moving and so we never really stopped moving until we were in the final part of the indoor queue.

I think the initial part of the outdoor queue is my favourite, it is so pretty.

Here we are waiting to be sent into the pre-show chamber at 654am.

The ride was amazing as always and I was very happy that we made the effort to wake up super early and get to the park for EMH.

We then did something I never thought that I would do. We got back in line to ride again. Even though it was only 0724am the line had now extended all the way to Africa.

Even though that was where the line was when we joined it I had faith that the wait wouldn't be too bad, and by that I mean an hour or less, because once again the line was constantly moving. I think the reason for this initial back up into Africa of the line was because they switched from feeding us into the fastpass queue and switched to the standby queue.

Even though the line was longer than I would normally wait (it ended up being about an hour) it wasn't too bad as we got to check out the standby queue which we had never seen in the past and it was air conditioned which was also great as it was already steaming hot outside.

I loved all the different areas of the queue - the bioluminescent areas, the lab, getting to see the avatars in the link chamber.

We spent our time in line chatting with those around us, checking out the queue and refreshing fastpasses. I was able to get our Navii River Journey fastpass moved from the evening to the morning so I was happy with that. I decided to leave our evening Safari and Everest fastpasses where they were for the moment.

I felt bad for a little girl that was in line near us, she was not feeling well at all and so she and her dad eventually sat down in a corner of the queue hoping that some time resting and in the air-conditioning would help her feel better. He was thinking that the early morning and the heat were the culprit. I really hope she felt better as it is no fun being ill on vacation.

Mom and I got into a bit of an argument as she said that on our next trip we should advise Sarah (Alek's girlfriend) and Jess(Erich's fiancee) that if they don't like drops that they should just close their eyes on the ride as she admitted that is what she does. I was miffed. I told Mom that if you are going to close your eyes on Flight of Passage that you may as well not even ride as the whole thing is dependent on your visual experience. I think it would be selfish to take a seat on the ride if you are just going to close your eyes through it all or most of it. She did not agree with me because "who would want to wait around while others ride". I personally feel there is so much else you could experience while others ride if you feel you can't handle the ride rather than taking a seat from somebody else who would actually love to experience the whole ride.

By the time we got off the ride and Mom used the washroom it was now 9am and the park was open for the day.

Even though we only got to ride FoP twice in the two hours of EMH I was satisfied with our use of that time because there was no way we would have been able to ride a second time with a shorter wait later in the day and we still had the whole day ahead of us to see the rest of the park.
I’m with your Mom on this one. I close my eyes otherwise I’ll become nauseous, I love to be there for everyone else’s reaction though.

Definitely a good use of the first 2 hours, especially when you got to ride FoP twice!!

I think it was the best choice for us as FoP is definitely the most popular ride right now and there would have been no way we would have gotten on it later in the day. None of the other rides or shows get long enough waits for us to have worried about rushing to them during EMH.

Quick photo safari update as I don't have time for a longer one at the moment!

After our second ride on Flight of Passage the park was now open for the day and we decided to get in line for the safari. We had fastpasses for it later in the day but it is always nice to ride it at least twice during different parts of the day as each time you see something different!

We picked a good time to get in the covered standby line as it started to rain a bit so we were glad to be under cover in line during the short rain shower.

There was a VERY energetic and friendly young guy in line near us. He was visiting the park solo and he had no problem at all chatting up anybody and everybody around him. He was definitely entertaining. I also laughed because he was in his early 20's but he was going on about how "young people" these days don't know how to talk to each other because they are so focused on technology. He then very flamboyantly said "clearly I don't have that problem". :laughing: He kept us all entertained as we waited for our safari. I think we ended up waiting 30 minutes. That's the thing with this ride, sometimes the line moves quickly and sometimes slow as molasses whether in standby or fastpass, all depends on if the animals decide to stand in the road or not.:laughing:

We didn't mind our fairly short wait and we ended up having a great safari.

Baby giraffes!

Look at that giraffe, causing the safari line to back up! :laughing:

And the lions were out and on display.

I was also very excited to see the warthog out of his hidey hole! He started backing up into it though as we drove by.

I love the safari, it is never the same!

We usually avoid EMH too but I actually like the morning ones in AK!

I always have to promise Mike that as long as he speeds to our rope drop destination that I won't make him walk that fast again for the rest of the day :rotfl:

FOP twice in a row is a great choice.

Great safari pics!

Wowsers you guys were up early but well worth it with riding Flight of Passage twice :thumbsup2

The pics look great and lol on your mum saying she shuts her eyes. Glad she kept them open on the second ride :laughing:

Aaw hope that little girl felt better after the rest.

Great pics of the safari and that young solo traveller sounds like a hoot...glad he kept you entertained!

Good for you!
Wow! It just goes to show how good planning really pays off!

Oh my! Still it is a good use of EMH!
Haha! I had the same conversation with my DH as he said the ride made him queasy and the next time he would just cose his eyes to which I said'then what's the point of riding it, if that's your plan?"
After our second ride on Flight of Passage the park was now open for the day and we decided to get in line for the safari. We had fastpasses for it later in the day but it is always nice to ride it at least twice during different parts of the day as each time you see something different!
I love how each ride on the safari is unique!
I love the safari, it is never the same!
Beautiful pictures! :goodvibes

Sounds like a very successful morning in AK. I love that you had a chatty guest in line, it always makes the wait feel shorter.

Wowwww I could never!

Super impressive!

Yeah, the standby queue is kind of neat, but still an hour is max I'd want to wait.

Oh my goodness, sleepy rhino. This is adorable!

Great pic of the cheetah!

How cool! I've never seen them up on those rocks!

Great safari pics! Especially of the giraffes and lions!

I was so excited to see the lions on the rocks like that.

We usually avoid EMH too but I actually like the morning ones in AK!

I think AK EMH is okay because it is the best way to get on FoP without fastpass and the rest of the park is not as dependent on lines for attractions so can absorb the crowds better? No wait to go on the animal trails!

Wowsers you guys were up early but well worth it with riding Flight of Passage twice :thumbsup2

I only get up that early on vacation for really important things like Flight of Passage!

Great safari pics! I think the warthog backing out of frame is my favorite :-)

The warthog was pretty cute!

How exciting! So glad to have found this. Joining in!

Welcome! Glad to have you!

This sounds like such a hoot!

He was hilarious and it definitely made the wait go by faster.

Oh my! Still it is a good use of EMH!

I think I would have regretted doing otherwise with our EMH time, especially as mom was not interested in riding Everest.

Sounds like a very successful morning in AK. I love that you had a chatty guest in line, it always makes the wait feel shorter.

It sure does!

Wowwww I could never!

It was hard but so worth it!

Yeah, the standby queue is kind of neat, but still an hour is max I'd want to wait.

Yeah, I don't think I would have waited longer than an hour either but it was worth it since it was EMH and there were not really many other options available - Mom didn't want to ride Everest so may as well get back in line for FoP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter