An Obsessive Planner's Spontaneous Last Minute Trip to WDW - A June 2019 TR Update 10/20

After getting everything settled in our room we decided to head to Disney Springs. This would really be our only time to go since our remaining days would be full of park time due to our short visit. We love the parking garages at Disney Springs now, especially the technology that tells you where the open spots are so you aren't driving around in circles like you used to with the surface lot. We parked in the Grapefruit garage since it was near the Marketplace section which is where we planned to start and end our shopping trip. The Grapefruit garage is on the other side of the road from Disney Springs but there is a very nice pedestrian bridge that connects them.
Great way to spend the evening!
Next up we made our way over to The Polite Pig. I had heard great things about their mac and cheese and I was also hoping that they would have the Gideon Bakehouse cookies in as I had heard that they were amazing.
Mmmmm, that mac'n'cheese looks amazing!
Can you tell I really like mac and cheese?
Me too! Mac'n'cheese is my ultimate comfort food. :goodvibes
Mom and I split the Loaded Mac and Cheese. It came with chicken, bacon and green onions.
This also looks good!
Mom wanted to visit Chapel Hats to see if she could find a sun hat to wear next year on our Mediterranean Cruise. She did end up finding one that she liked and the price was fairly reasonable.
I love Chapel Hats!
After we finished browsing the shops we made our final stop at Disney Springs, Basin! I loaded up on bath bombs, and soaps and salts. I love Basin and a trip to Disney is not complete without stocking up.
I am so obsessed with Basin, especially the earl grey lip balm from Basin White!
I know this may sound silly but I really love grocery shopping in the South. The service is so different from up north - dedicated baggers at each checkout lane and they will even take your groceries to your car for you. It was like this when we lived in Virginia as well but I have noticed this is not the case when we visit grocery stores in Ohio and New York and is definitely not the case in Canada. So I figure it must be a Southern US things and now I just view it as a nice vacation treat.
Lovely service makes everything better!

Thank you for the Mac and cheese reviews! Andi loves it! I think we may try it at the Polite Pig, yum!

I like the newly remodeled WOD, however, I agree with your mom, it is a wide open area now! Not as easy to find things!

View attachment 411485I am going to tell you a few little landmarks, see the three red/white polls, that is the power buildings that light up NYC. Brooke— the travel agent, sorry cannot remember her Dis name, she has a son Henry lives to the right of the power plant and my son lives on the East River to the left. The bridge just to the left of the power polls is the Queensborough bridge. It is just one of 2 free bridges to cross into Manhattan. Way over to the left, that tall with the sphere building, you actually got the Empire State Building. Sorry for being a smarty pants. When my son calls me on his way home from work, he always looses his connection when he drives by the power plant.
Sorry to highjack this TR, but I'm glad you pointed some things out. I want to visit NYC/Manhattan one day. Hubby and I did get to drive through on our way to Vermont/New Hampshire last year. When we went under the Queensborough bridge all I could think of was King of Queens LOL. Also we learned NY drivers are very impatient. At every single stop light, as soon as it turned green, people were honking their horns. I feel like they didn't even give the people in the front time to take their foot off the brake. It was so congested it took us about 2 hours to drive through, but that also because we circled ground zero a couple of times.

Very excited to see your full trip report!! I'm, now, nearly 6 months out from our next trip - which is when I start going into serious Disney-mode and will read trip reports as often as possible. I'm really excited about reading about such a spontaneous trip (also, as the mother of 2 teenage daughters - I have a special fondness for mother-daughter trips!! :lovestruc ).

Sounds like a great DS stop.

The Polite Pig is on my radar for Oct now since it seems to be a good use of a QS credit. Glad to hear the mac and cheese was delicious! I could live on mac and cheese! Oo a mac and cheese crawl through DS would be great.

What time were you there that the cookies were coming out?

I prefer the old WOD for the Disney feel but it's much easier to shop without losing your family forever this way I feel!

Hi Lessa, Super behind everywhere, so not multi-quoting much as I catch back up. But, I love that you went straight to DTD and had yummy dinner and some shopping time. :) Also glad you guys got in just a little pool time on such a short trip. Sounded like a great first day.

Sorry to highjack this TR, but I'm glad you pointed some things out. I want to visit NYC/Manhattan one day. Hubby and I did get to drive through on our way to Vermont/New Hampshire last year. When we went under the Queensborough bridge all I could think of was King of Queens LOL. Also we learned NY drivers are very impatient. At every single stop light, as soon as it turned green, people were honking their horns. I feel like they didn't even give the people in the front time to take their foot off the brake. It was so congested it took us about 2 hours to drive through, but that also because we circled ground zero a couple of times.
My son lives 2miles from his work, and it takes an hour and he lives in Long Island City which is right on the East River. He calls me while he is driving and sitting in traffic and I hear nothing but horns blasting-so you got that right.

I-love MAC and cheese too.

Good to know the parking garages are done, I just wish they would have closer bathrooms. Not fun being way over there and realizing you need a bathroom, or getting there and need a bathroom.

Following along!

oh how fun to book a last minute trip! The best part is the short countdown! Sounds like you two were off to a wonderful start.

How exciting to do this last minute trip. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the days.popcorn::

I always love sharing my trips here on the boards and reliving it through sharing the memories.

Thank you for the Mac and cheese reviews! Andi loves it! I think we may try it at the Polite Pig, yum!

I like the newly remodeled WOD, however, I agree with your mom, it is a wide open area now! Not as easy to find things!

I definitely recommend the Polite Pig mac, just be aware it is not large so not enough for a meal on its own.

A mac and cheese tour sounds like fun! Put it on the list for next time :-)

That cookie is unreal! I'm surprised it managed to stay in one piece with so many chips.

I will have to put it on my list for next time. lol

The cookie was so delicious.

Very excited to see your full trip report!! I'm, now, nearly 6 months out from our next trip - which is when I start going into serious Disney-mode and will read trip reports as often as possible. I'm really excited about reading about such a spontaneous trip (also, as the mother of 2 teenage daughters - I have a special fondness for mother-daughter trips!! :lovestruc ).

I am the same, love reading reports to get ready for a trip.

Sounds like a great DS stop.

The Polite Pig is on my radar for Oct now since it seems to be a good use of a QS credit. Glad to hear the mac and cheese was delicious! I could live on mac and cheese! Oo a mac and cheese crawl through DS would be great.

What time were you there that the cookies were coming out?

I prefer the old WOD for the Disney feel but it's much easier to shop without losing your family forever this way I feel!

The cookies were put out at 4pm.

Some like to do a pub crawl, I'll do a mac and cheese crawl. lol

::yes:: same

Sounds like you had a great visit to Disney Springs. I agree with your mom, I miss the old World of Disney. Glad you got some pool time, even on the short trip.

Yes, it was nice to take a dip in the pool for a bit. Made it really feel like vacation.

As an obsessive planner, I am loving this. It's nice to know last minute trips are doable and fun!!

Definitely doable but I would only recommend it for an experienced park goer. I think it would be too overwhelming for a first trip. Knowing how to work the Disney system and not feel pressured to "do it all" make the spontaneous trip doable and fun.

Hi Lessa, Super behind everywhere, so not multi-quoting much as I catch back up. But, I love that you went straight to DTD and had yummy dinner and some shopping time. :) Also glad you guys got in just a little pool time on such a short trip. Sounded like a great first day.

Glad to have you here Liesa!

I think DTD was the right choice for that first night. We would have been zonked if we had tried to do a park that day.

I-love MAC and cheese too.

Good to know the parking garages are done, I just wish they would have closer bathrooms. Not fun being way over there and realizing you need a bathroom, or getting there and need a bathroom.

Hmm, i can't say I ever took notice of this. So there are no bathrooms near the parking garages?

Sounds like a really nice time in Disney Springs! That chocolate chip cookie looks amazing!

The cookie was amazing! On my next trip, if we have a car, I may search out the actual bakery in Orlando to try out some of their other offerings.

Following along!

oh how fun to book a last minute trip! The best part is the short countdown! Sounds like you two were off to a wonderful start.

The short countdown was exciting but also a little crazy because we had to throw everything together so quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!