An Obsessive Planner's Spontaneous Last Minute Trip to WDW - A June 2019 TR Update 10/20

Since you all had pretty much the same comment about how it sucked that Mine Train was down I thought I would just post the next update in response rather than individually commenting to you all! :laughing:

I'm home from vacation and back to work. I had a great time with my family and we got some exciting news, my brother Alek, who those on the Dis from years ago will remember, and his partner Sarah are expecting a baby!!! This will be my first niece or nephew and if everything goes well we will be meeting the newest member of our family in mid-March. :goodvibes I am very excited to become an aunt!

Day Three - June 9 - Magic Kingdom

After we got off Peter Pan it was just after 0820 and to our delight we saw Seven Dwarves Mine Train was running and there were people on it, hurray!

We quickly walked over and jumped in the line. It was not quite a walk on since everybody else at the event was now also trying to ride but it only took a few minutes and soon we were loaded on the ride and laughing and screaming our way around the mines.

We just kept hopping back in line for more rides. On our second ride as Mom was getting out of the ride vehicle her Magic Band fell off and fell into the car. Luckily, I noticed and was able to retrieve it. If I hadn't that would have put a real damper on our morning.

We ended up calling it quits on Mine Train after our third ride which was a good thing as when I got off the ride a third time I was feeling rather dizzy.

We were told by the cast members that because the ride had been down for a good part of the event that our event wristbands would act as a fastpass for Mine Train until 11am if we wanted to ride again.

The park was opening at that point since it was 9am. We decided to get a ride in before heading to the breakfast that is included with the event.

We decided on Haunted Mansion since it is so close to Fantasyland and we had confidence we could go and ride it and still get to breakfast with plenty of time to spare. I have heard of the really ambitious running over to Frontierland right at 9am and jumping on Big Thunder Mountain or Splash. Given mom's mobility I didn't think a hustle like that was possible in order to get to breakfast by 10am.

There was no wait for Haunted Mansion other than for them to fill up the Stretching Room.

After our trip I found out that a ride photo had been installed on this ride recently but for some reason ours never showed up in our account. I was disappointed as I would have liked to see it but I hadn't purchased Memory Maker so it is not as though I would have been downloading it.

It was now time for breakfast at Cosmic Ray's. You simply show your event wristband to the CM at the door and they let you in. You pick up a tray at the counter that comes with pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes and a drink of your choice. There is then a small buffett where you can pick up a variety of fruit, pastries, cheese, yogurt etc. Presumably you could get a second tray of the hot items if you wished although we did not test this.

I thought the food was all very tasty and hit the spot.

Overall, we were very happy with Early Morning Magic at the Magic Kingdom. The only mark against it was that Mine Train was not running the whole time which did cause a slightly longer wait than usual since all the event guests were trying to ride it at the same time. If it had been running from the start the "crowd" would have been more evenly dispersed and Mom and I may have managed to knock out all of the open attractions for the event. What did we miss? Not too much. Small World, Princess Meets, Carousel and Tea Cups. Of those we probably would have only done Small World and the Princess Meets so not too bad in my opinion and we still could have done them if we had not chosen to ride Mine Train three times.

After breakfast we made our way over to Buzz to use our fastpass and it was a good thing we had one as the line was at 50 minutes!

Much to my shame Mom beat me at Buzz. So embarrassing! :laughing:

She then requested to ride the Peoplemover. It was stalled for about ten minutes, unsure why, so we were held at the bottom of the ramp and the line built up quickly behind us.

Once on the ride it was exciting to see the progress on the new Tron coaster. I have heard the Shanghai version is amazing so I can't wait to try this out when it opens.

We opted for some air conditioning and went over to Carousel of Progress which I always enjoy. There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!

Next up we strolled over to Frontierland for a ride on Big Thunder. I had managed to reschedule our evening fastpass for the morning.

We then experienced two new things for us. The Muppets Present Great Moments in American History and The Hall of Presidents.

The Muppets show was great and we had a good laugh. I would love to see all versions of this show.

Hall of Presidents was great as the seats were comfortable and the air conditioning was very refreshing in the noon heat of a hot June day in Florida. I would not be averse to seeing it again for those reasons. :laughing:

We wandered back into Fantasyland at that point.

What a difference from that morning!

We were a bit too early for our lunch reservation so Mom grabbed some water from Gaston's and people watched from a table outside while I browsed around the little Beauty and the Beast gift shop.

We saw this very impressive stroller parked next to Mine Train. I wonder if the kids were all decked out to ride around in style in their carriage. :laughing:

As soon as we could we checked in for our lunch at Be Our Guest, another miracle reservation for a last minute trip. We had not preordered our food so we had to stand in line to order at the kiosk. That was fine as we had not decided in advance what we wanted so that gave us time to review the menu. Since we were using quick service credits we each ordered an adult beverage with our meal since they are now included! I had white wine and Mom had a sangria. If we had been paying cash we never would have ordered the drinks.

I love eating in the ballroom and we have always had a good meal here although I was sad that the dinner menu changed last summer. I know the allure of this place has worn off for many but I think I will always try and eat here on my trips unless something changes my mind.

Yay, glad to see they got mine train going for you guys. It's funny, I feel my age most when riding coasters back to back. I used to be able to pull it off, but now 2-3 is my limit.

Breakfast and lunch both look yummy! Adult beverages were one of my favorite parts of the DDP :-)

Congrats on becoming an Aunt!! How exciting!

Yay for Mine Train coming back up and you guys getting to ride it 3 times! I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the event overall!

Sounds like a good morning in the park! And a good lunch at BOG! I agree with you, I still love eating there!

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your review! I would always take the opportunity to go to Disney as well. Even if short notice!

This will be my first niece or nephew and if everything goes well we will be meeting the newest member of our family in mid-March. :goodvibes I am very excited to become an aunt!

Congrats!

After we got off Peter Pan it was just after 0820 and to our delight we saw Seven Dwarves Mine Train was running and there were people on it, hurray!

Yayyy!

On our second ride as Mom was getting out of the ride vehicle her Magic Band fell off and fell into the car. Luckily, I noticed and was able to retrieve it.

Good catch. That would've been so annoying otherwise.

We were told by the cast members that because the ride had been down for a good part of the event that our event wristbands would act as a fastpass for Mine Train until 11am if we wanted to ride again.

That's great especially since it had come back up!

The Muppets show was great and we had a good laugh.

We've only watched this once but it was very funny. I'd like to make time to see it again.

This will be my first niece or nephew and if everything goes well we will be meeting the newest member of our family in mid-March.

Congrats to your family, that is so exciting!

That's nice that they offer that at least. I'm sure a great deal of people pay for the event specifically for Mine Train.

I would not be averse to seeing it again for those reasons. :laughing:

We always joke that this is our favorite place to grab a nap in the middle of the heat. Haha.

I'm obsessed with mac and cheese and always order it at places to try theirs. I haven't had the Chicken Guy's yet but he had a restaurant in Times Square years ago and it was one of the best mac and cheese I've ever had so I'm hoping its the same.

You got some great pics of Animal Kingdom!

That stinks about SWMT but cool about the fp for a couple more hours. I had not heard of them doing that.

Yay, glad to see they got mine train going for you guys. It's funny, I feel my age most when riding coasters back to back. I used to be able to pull it off, but now 2-3 is my limit.

You are lucky then, I have never been good with repeat rides. I remember as a teenager riding Alpengeist (roller coaster at Busch Gardens) several times in a row and being unable to walk in a straight line for several minutes after getting off the ride. Felt like I was drunk. :laughing:

Sounds like a good morning in the park! And a good lunch at BOG! I agree with you, I still love eating there!

They did the ballroom so well that I just love sitting in there and looking around at the details.

Good catch. That would've been so annoying otherwise.

For sure, we would have been super stressed out and it would have ruined the rest of the event for us as we worried about it.

We've only watched this once but it was very funny. I'd like to make time to see it again.

Unfortunately I have recently read that this show is getting cut. It is too bad as it was entertaining.

That's nice that they offer that at least. I'm sure a great deal of people pay for the event specifically for Mine Train.

Exactly! I bet they would get a lot of complaints and demands for refunds if it was down the whole time especially if they didn't compensate in some way way such as with fastpasses.

I'm obsessed with mac and cheese and always order it at places to try theirs. I haven't had the Chicken Guy's yet but he had a restaurant in Times Square years ago and it was one of the best mac and cheese I've ever had so I'm hoping its the same.

Sounds like me! I am obsessed too!

I'm home from vacation and back to work. I had a great time with my family and we got some exciting news, my brother Alek, who those on the Dis from years ago will remember, and his partner Sarah are expecting a baby!!! This will be my first niece or nephew and if everything goes well we will be meeting the newest member of our family in mid-March. :goodvibes I am very excited to become an aunt!

Awww, wonderful news.

Nice! Yours was up and running sooner than ours.

Well poop! I wish they'd done that for us too!

Overall, we were very happy with Early Morning Magic at the Magic Kingdom. The only mark against it was that Mine Train was not running the whole time which did cause a slightly longer wait than usual since all the event guests were trying to ride it at the same time.

That was my only complaint too. I wonder why they seem to have so many issues in the early morning. Maybe they need to get staff there earlier and do their checks and tests sooner.

Much to my shame Mom beat me at Buzz. So embarrassing! :laughing:

LOL!! Hilarious!

We saw this very impressive stroller parked next to Mine Train. I wonder if the kids were all decked out to ride around in style in their carriage. :laughing:
I saw one of those too. Too cute!

I am the worst trip reporter ever! I am so sorry that I have not updated in so long. I would not be surprised if you have all left me thinking this report was abandoned.

There has been a lot going on recently. We had to say goodbye to our sweet angel kitty back in September and that was devastating. A good work friend of mine moved away and I planned a going away party for her. We celebrated Thanksgiving here in Canada last weekend and my brother and his fiancee have been having a rough go with her pregnancy and I have been going to the hospital with them for appointments. The baby is healthy but Sarah has severe anemia and ended up in the ER and is now getting weekly iron transfusions.

I have two more days to report on for this trip and I hope I can get my act together and post more regularly!

Day Three - June 9 - Magic Kingdom

After lunch at Be Our Guest it was starting to rain so we hustled over to Mickey's Philharmagic in the hopes that the worst of the rain storm would happen while we were enjoying the show. Unfortunately the rain wasn't going anywhere and it rained off and on for the rest of the afternoon.

While waiting for Philharmagic I grabbed a fastpass for Small World as we hadn't been on it yet this trip. As much as people love to joke about Small World I really enjoy this ride. '

Next up I wanted to get a snack I had seen on various Disney vlogs - the Tangled Eclair from Pinocchio's.

It was delicious and oh so pretty, I didn't want to eat it!

While in Pinocchio's we checked the app to see what wait times were like and Pirates only had a 10 minute wait so we decided to make our way over there.

We decided to leave the park at this point for our traditional Magic Kingdom afternoon break - resort touring.

On the way out of the park we saw that people were still waiting for the afternoon parade to start. It was almost 4pm at this point so I was doubtful that the parade was actually going to happen.

We went up to the train station and watched the Dapper Dan's performing below.

Chicken Little and his friend were down below dancing to the Dapper Dans, it was really sweet.

While up in the train station we heard the parade approaching but it was only the Rainy Day Parade which we were not interested in. I felt bad for the families that had waited around for over an hour hoping to see Festival of Fantasy but you can't help the weather!

Leaving the park the monorail was down so we got in line to take the boat over to the Poly. There were already a fair amount of people waiting so we were not confident we would be able to get on the next boat. Luckily, the monorail came back up while we were waiting so we got out of line for the boat and got on the monorail. Somebody must have been "earning their ears" as they had to be reminded to close the doors to the monorail...

On the ride over to the resorts Mom was making conversation with some of the other passengers that were on their way to Epcot. Mom gave them bad advice at this point and told them they had to get off the resort monorail and get on the Express as there was no way they could get to Epcot on it. I intervened and corrected that advise and let them know they could take the resort monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Epcot line there.

We got off the monorail at The Poly so we could enjoy a Dole Whip and relax in the atmosphere of the lobby.

Next we got back on the monorail and went over to the Grand Floridian where I did some shopping in Basin, always a favourite.

While at the Grand I discovered that Mom appears to have developed a fear of heights/vertigo as she would not stand at the rail to look down into the lobby saying that it made her feel ill.

We decided to have dinner at Gasparilla Grill - the quick service at the Grand - as we had a good meal here on the last trip.

We decided to share the chicken and mushroom flatbread and we each got a cookie. It was delicous!

It was now time to head back to the Magic Kingdom to wait for Happily Ever After. We took the boat across the lagoon which is always a pleasant ride.

We found a great spot sitting on the wall of the garden of the Partners Statue in The Hub. Mom saved our spot while I went to grab a Chesire Tail as the stand that sells them was about to close for the day. I learned that the hard way on our last trip and missed out on the treat.

I dropped the treat off with Mom and then made a run up to the Tangled bathrooms before the hub started to become too crowded to navigate easily.

Mom and I played around with Snapchat filters while waiting but then it started to rain... We had ponchos in our bag so we pulled them out and put them on but decided to stick it out and not give up our spot, the rain would end soon surely?

Many other people did as we did although a few people did leave to seek shelter. It rained for about 15 minutes and then stopped. Hurray!

Well, it started to rain again, this time much heavier. Up went the poncho hoods again but we still didn't budge from our spot. This time the rain lasted much longer and most people ended up leaving to find shelter but not us! The rain stopped again and we were glad we hadn't left.

Well, not too much longer a torrential downpour started and we tried to stick it out for awhile but the rain did not let up and it was so heavy so we eventually waved the white flag and beat a retreat for Main St. We were probably crazy to sit out there in the rain for as long as we did. Pretty much everybody else had already left long before we did.

The rain was so bad that people were streaming out of the park. We weren't ready to give up yet though so we grabbed a spot under the awning outside of Casey's with some other hopeful people. We stayed there for about 30 minutes hoping and praying that the rain would let up. Finally, just after 9pm the rain let up and the announcement that Happily Ever After would start soon played.

We made our way back up to The Hub where there was barely anybody as so many people had left the park due to the rain. I doubt I will ever again get to watch Happily Ever After in such light crowds again.

The show was wonderful as always even if we were feeling soggy while watching it.

After the show it was time to slosh our way down Main St to catch the ferry back to the TTC.

We were happy to get back to our room as were dog tired and very soggy.

There has been a lot going on recently. We had to say goodbye to our sweet angel kitty back in September and that was devastating. A good work friend of mine moved away and I planned a going away party for her. We celebrated Thanksgiving here in Canada last weekend and my brother and his fiancee have been having a rough go with her pregnancy and I have been going to the hospital with them for appointments.

What a rough go you've had of things lately. I'm so sorry about your kitty and while I'm glad baby is okay, that's not very fun for mom.

The baby is healthy but Sarah has severe anemia and ended up in the ER and is now getting weekly iron transfusions.

Hey, that's what I do!! LOL!

While waiting for Philharmagic I grabbed a fastpass for Small World as we hadn't been on it yet this trip. As much as people love to joke about Small World I really enjoy this ride. '

And I think for as much joking as there is, a LOT more folks like it than are willing to admit it.

On the way out of the park we saw that people were still waiting for the afternoon parade to start. It was almost 4pm at this point so I was doubtful that the parade was actually going to happen.

Ah, such a bummer. :(
48751792786_1fa4ec407a_z.jpg

What a unique view of them! Love that!

Somebody must have been "earning their ears" as they had to be reminded to close the doors to the monorail...

EEK!
On the ride over to the resorts Mom was making conversation with some of the other passengers that were on their way to Epcot. Mom gave them bad advice at this point and told them they had to get off the resort monorail and get on the Express as there was no way they could get to Epcot on it. I intervened and corrected that advise and let them know they could take the resort monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Epcot line there.

Glad you were there to clear that up! :) I know the monorail can be confusing to Newbies!

This time the rain lasted much longer and most people ended up leaving to find shelter but not us! The rain stopped again and we were glad we hadn't left.

Good for sticking it out!

Finally, just after 9pm the rain let up and the announcement that Happily Ever After would start soon played.

:cool1:
We made our way back up to The Hub where there was barely anybody as so many people had left the park due to the rain. I doubt I will ever again get to watch Happily Ever After in such light crowds again.
:dancer:

I am with your mom...I closed my eyes for parts of the ride...(almost all...I hate to admit) but when we go again in February I plan on keeping them open...we shall see...I am not a big fan of rides that feel like big drops..but what i did see was amazing...

Sounds like a nice time resort hopping!

Ugh that stinks about the rain :( But at least HEA still happened and you didn't wait around for nothing!

Overall, we were very happy with Early Morning Magic at the Magic Kingdom. The only mark against it was that Mine Train was not running the whole time which did cause a slightly longer wait than usual since all the event guests were trying to ride it at the same time. If it had been running from the start the "crowd" would have been more evenly dispersed and Mom and I may have managed to knock out all of the open attractions for the event. What did we miss? Not too much. Small World, Princess Meets, Carousel and Tea Cups. Of those we probably would have only done Small World and the Princess Meets so not too bad in my opinion and we still could have done them if we had not chosen to ride Mine Train three times.
Sounds great!
As soon as we could we checked in for our lunch at Be Our Guest, another miracle reservation for a last minute trip. We had not preordered our food so we had to stand in line to order at the kiosk. That was fine as we had not decided in advance what we wanted so that gave us time to review the menu. Since we were using quick service credits we each ordered an adult beverage with our meal since they are now included! I had white wine and Mom had a sangria. If we had been paying cash we never would have ordered the drinks.
Looks like a great lunch!
There has been a lot going on recently. We had to say goodbye to our sweet angel kitty back in September and that was devastating. A good work friend of mine moved away and I planned a going away party for her. We celebrated Thanksgiving here in Canada last weekend and my brother and his fiancee have been having a rough go with her pregnancy and I have been going to the hospital with them for appointments. The baby is healthy but Sarah has severe anemia and ended up in the ER and is now getting weekly iron transfusions.
So sorry to hear this. It's great you are there to support them.
Next up I wanted to get a snack I had seen on various Disney vlogs - the Tangled Eclair from Pinocchio's.
yum!
Next we got back on the monorail and went over to the Grand Floridian where I did some shopping in Basin, always a favourite.
Love it there!
We found a great spot sitting on the wall of the garden of the Partners Statue in The Hub. Mom saved our spot while I went to grab a Chesire Tail as the stand that sells them was about to close for the day. I learned that the hard way on our last trip and missed out on the treat.
One of my faves!
The show was wonderful as always even if we were feeling soggy while watching it.
It is a great show!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter