An Engaging and Magical Asian Adventure - Update 2/11 Shanghai

Discussion in 'Other Lands' started by Flossbolna, Aug 2, 2018.

1. soniam

soniam Wooden leg named Smith...

Your trip report is so reminding me of my travels abroad with my husband before we had our son. Heck, some of it even sounds like traveling with our son. However, we really do try to be much more responsible and organized with him. It’s the mishaps and grumpy times that make the best trip stories though.

2. OldSchoolReasons

OldSchoolReasons DIS Veteran

Loving the details of your trip report! I'm staying at the Toy Story hotel so am appreciating the details - it reminds me of Art of Animation at WDW quite a bit. The Shanghai Disney resort looks massive too.

Also enjoying the asides about public transport, to my partner's chagrin I am a train nerd so the chance to use a monorail, vehicular railways, tram or basically anything that isn't a grotty London tube is always an added bonus for me. The Shanghai metro looks cute, though not quite on par with the Tokyo monorail with the Mickey-shaped handles.

3. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

Actually, you're right. I got a little bored on the ship after a while. I felt like I'd explored everything and was ready to see something different.

Et tu, Brute?

Here I am, taking your side, defending you, and you stick the knife in my back like that? What is this world coming to?:sad2:

I had no idea. Now I have several more characters to ignore! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that, and I can see why you'd feel such strong nostalgia for the old version.

And yes, the original Yeti was so much better.

Uh huh. And look where that got me! :p

That is a good idea. Never seen that before.

I'm surprised the windows actually open!

If only I knew what was being advertised!

Yes! That would be neat to see.

That makes sense. We run into that problem quite a bit with highways as well. Everyone wants better transportation systems, but no one wants it on their property.

Patience. First we're working on air conditioning.

If Taco Bell did to their digestive systems what it does to ours, it would be the last Taco Bell in China.

Very cool tower!

I'm sorry. That sounds like a real pain.

I've never heard of that, but it looks like a neat little attraction.

Interesting. I think the skyline looks really neat and exotic. But then again, I've never been to London, Paris, Budapest, etc.

That's understandable. Those fire hydrants are very quick. They can jump out and get you at any time if you're not vigilant.

Huh? Whatdja say?

I'm still looking forward to my romantic Valentine's Day dinner there.

Fish jerky, blueberry potato chips, mystery substances....yeah, you're really selling this idea well.:crazy2:

Who does? But don't ever tell Michael he's right about something!

See???

:rotfl2: I can imagine!

4. Flossbolna

Flossbolna Sea days are just so relaxing!

:rotfl2:Yes, it sounds like the start of our trip had some not so good things happening. But you know what: We were just so thrilled to be there that nothing really bothered us. And the trip got better as it went on!

We were really happy with the hotel. At first I was hesitant as it was so pricey during summer season for what it was, but it ended up being worth every penny. I found it to be a notch above the WDW (and DLP since you seem to have been there plenty) value resorts. It might have been the newness, but it did feel more like a moderate. But then I never stayed at AoA and the internal hallways make a big difference!

:rotfl:I have my share of experience with grotty London tube! However, I do own a pillow made out of the original Picadilly Line seat cushion material (new, not sat upon by commuters). So I guess I might have a more romantic notion about it than you. As far as I understand the Tokyo monorail actually is being operated by TDR. The Shanghai metro is operated by the general metro system. And I can tell you that it is a million steps up from the Paris RER trains!

And since you are a train nerd, you will appreciated that I am really excited that when Michael and I go to DLP this spring, the first part of the journey will be on a brand new German two story Intercity train. They are being put in service at the beginning of March and should be a fantastic upgrade on the line between Nuremberg and Stuttgart. :thumbsup2

soniam likes this.
  5. Flossbolna

Flossbolna Sea days are just so relaxing!

I am sorry!! It was such a low-hanging fruit!

Isn't that great! Oh, and there is also a new one coming soon for Shanghai.

I am very lucky that I got the original Yeti. My trip in 2007 was when they switched the yeti back on for a short time because they thought they had figured out a solution and I think there were some important people visiting. I remember reading about it on the boards at the time. It was magnificent!

:guilty:

I had the Google Translator app and with that you can hold your camera to a text and it will then translate the text. Very helpful with the Chinese and Japanese characters. It was fun to see what the texts could be, but because of characters being able to have different meanings, the translation often jumped around giving you different options of different non-sensical meanings.

It's tedious. But that's the problem if you live in a country that respects the individual's rights. A king never had such issues... I always have to think of that when I marvel at those massive palaces like Versailles: they were only possible because of an absolute monarch having no regards for their subjects.

Haha! We do that in Germany, too!

Well, according to my husband the Chinese food can do bad things to our digestive system, too. So maybe they are better equipped?

It has a viewing platform and I think the view must be spectacular!

It's definitely a secondary attraction, but I do like interesting methods of transport and this definitely fit that description!

I think I was confusing people. I do like the modern China skyline in the pictures. If I had turned around there would have been the 19th century buildings. This is a picture from wikipedia:

[​IMG]

:rotfl: Reminds me of my mother's sarcastic comments about "Attack Trees" when they were cutting down all the trees along the country roads where we were living in the 1980s because the trees were so dangerous for drivers.

:rotfl2:

Think of the food section at the store in Japan at Epcot, but even more fun stuff! Unfortunately we did not even get to try as many fun things as we wanted to! And we will come back to Pocari Sweat in a future update! :thumbsup2

Yes, you are right there...

:thumbsup2