An Engaging and Magical Asian Adventure (2017 trip) - New Update 09/12/2021

Day 6 – July 4, 17: Tokyo DisneySea

Part 3: Meeting Shiriki Utundu

The Tower of Terror in Tokyo is quite different from the one in the other parks. It’s still a hotel, but not set in Hollywood, but in NYC. This is an explanation of the backstory (supposedly from a press release about the new attraction):

„Anyone who visits American Waterfront will soon find their gaze irresistibly drawn to the unique form of the lofty Hotel Hightower. The building's unusual design and extraordinary proportions were symbols of the wealth and power of its notorious creator, antiquities collector Harrison Hightower III, and indeed the stories of the man and the hotel are inextricably linked.
After inheriting his father's mansion, Harrison Hightower III decided to renovate his home, adding gardens, a pool and spa, the five-story "Caliph's Tower", the eight-story "Indian Tower" with its many guest rooms and a ballroom, and finally the 14-story "Great Tower" in which Hightower kept his personal apartments in the penthouse suite. Although the overall style of the hotel is Gothic, to a certain extent there are elements of other architectural styles from all over the world. Also, as a further testament to his greatness, Hightower installed many artifacts he had acquired during his globe-spanning expeditions in various places around the hotel.
Harrison Hightower III was a collector of cultural antiquities. Accompanied by his valet, Mr. Smelding, he traveled to every continent to collect his curiosities, including Asia, Europe, South America and Oceania. Once he found an artifact he wanted, he would use any method available to acquire it, including on occasion outright plunder.
In 1899, Hightower embarked on the most hazardous expedition of his life, heading up the Congo River and into the dangerous parts of uncharted Africa. Though his intention was to collect the art and craftwork of the region, Hightower soon found himself the object of attacks by hostile local tribes, and many members of his team lost their lives.
Then one day, Hightower's severely reduced party was chased into the area of the dreaded Mtundu tribe. Though greatly feared by neighboring tribes, the Mtundu welcomed Harrison Hightower's ill-fated expedition quite cordially, and actually invited the adventurers to eat with them.
During the meal, Hightower learned of the existence of the tribe's protective idol. The statue was called "Shiriki Utundu" and Harrison Hightower wanted it for his own. He tried to persuade the village headman to sell him the idol, but was refused, which only served to increase his desire. He then told his men to prepare for battle, and grabbing Shiriki Utundu from its altar, stole the idol and escaped the village.
The expedition was nervous and afraid that the many warriors of the Mtundu tribe would pursue and attack them, but strangely they only stood by and watched expressionlessly as Hightower took their idol. Some thought they may even have been slightly smiling…
On December 31, 1899, Harrison Hightower III was back in New York and held a press conference in his private office at Hotel Hightower to unveil his latest "find". Manfred Strang, a reporter from the New York Globe-Telegraph, asked if Shiriki Utundu wasn't really cursed, but was then thrown out of the building. After that, Hightower was his usual bombastic self, giving a heroic description of his adventure and allowing no real questions. That evening, he gave a spectacular New Year's Eve party to celebrate his return from Africa.
Though the party was a success, Hightower left early to find a place for Shiriki Utundu in his penthouse apartment. As Hightower boarded the elevator, Mr. Smelding warned him to give proper respect to the idol. Hightower refused to pay heed, and, sneering in defiance, even put out his cigar on Shiriki Utundu's head!
As the clock struck midnight, all lights in the hotel went out and the party was plunged into darkness. People outside witnessed a dazzling green light bursting out from Harrison Hightower's rooms at the top of the hotel. From the top floors to the bottom, the benighted hotel was pierced by hundreds of thousands of volts of electricity. The arched windows in front shattered with a loud crash, causing broken glass and other debris to rain down on the onlookers below. Small fires had broken out, and panicked party guests scrambled to escape, with many injured in the rush.
However, the most astonishing thing of all was that Harrison Hightower III, who should have been in his rooms at the top of the hotel, abruptly disappeared without a trace.
With the explosion on the top floors, the cables of the hotel elevator were also cut, and Harrison Hightower III was heard screaming in fright. The only thing that was found in the remains of the shattered elevator, though, was Shiriki Utundu. Harrison Hightower was gone. Had Hightower somehow escaped from the elevator unharmed, or was he not even riding it when it crashed? Could he have been transported away somewhere? No one knows the truth.
After Mr. Hightower's mysterious disappearance the hotel was closed down. People in New York began calling it the "Tower of Terror". For 13 years, no one dared to enter the hotel until the New York City Preservation Society, led by its president and founder, Miss Beatrice Rose Endicott, began a plan to offer tours of the building to the public. The Society hopes that through its efforts people will again appreciate the architectural beauty of the hotel and the cultural value of the treasures in Harrison Hightower's collection.
Still, dark rumors persist amongst the people of New York. Some say how they saw the "strange, green lights" on that fateful night, while others recall hearing "a terrible scream". The passage of time seems only to have increased the mystery surrounding Hotel Hightower.“

So, we are visiting as one of the tourist groups, the CMs are dressed as tour guides. The audio is all in Japanese, but you can still figure out what is going on most of the time.

I am lost most of the time as is. This is where, in the distant Before Times, put in some infantile joke at the expense of people who live in Delaware. But since a resident of that tiny backwater saved the Republic, I feel that maybe I shouldn't ... But maybe I should still? I'll ponder this for a while ... like as long as it takes a Delawarean to eat a meal at the highest class place in the state: the Waffle House.

You enter into the hotel lobby where of course you see more of Hightower:

A bit disconcerting is that you also see the broken main elevator:

The menu from the restaurant is still on display:

The pre-show is not in a library, but it has a very good introduction to the story with some amazing effects. In this room Shiriki Utundu is on display.

The special effect in pre-show is so amazing that it alone (along with the incredible attention to detail everywhere ... this ain't the Tragic Apocalypse Kingdom) is worth waiting for. I won't spoil it for the simple reason that I don't know how they do it --- and don't want to. But the little evil idol literally takes over the room and then just disappears in front of your eyes.

The ride mechanism itself is the same as the ToT in Paris and Anaheim, but everything else is quite different. All in all it is a fantastic version of the ride.

It’s really interesting how different those 4 Tower of Terrors around the world are. While I hate the outside look of Anaheim now, the ride there is probably the most of fun of them all now. Tokyo has probably the most in-depth theming all around. And Paris has recently added some storyline upgrades that are unique and really thrilling. They have also updated the drop sequence there. While Florida still has the best ride mechanism in my opinion. This elevator moving horizontally is just brilliant in my opinion.

What she said. We did experience the GotG version that is now at DCA on our VERY extended -- but not nearly enough -- honeymoon in November of 2019. And loved it, despite not wanting to. My issue is simply one of theming. Disney spent almost $3 billion to remake DCA and the ToT fit the new look perfectly. This doesn't. But It does allow them to shill their Marvel IP. Now, I could start a 5,000 word rant on why I enjoy theme parks and not BRAND/IP ones, but no way the dude from Delaware could keep up. Suffice to say, they are all great rides, but Tokyo's is a lot more detailed and some of us theme park snobs love that.

As all other towers, you end in the gift shop, here the hotel pool (as shown in a previous update):

From there we headed to the one store that was selling the (at that time) brand-new Stella Lou merchandise. A friend had requested that we pick up one for him.

And then we caught her driving by:

From there we headed out of the park for a bit of rest at the hotel. On the way out I took a picture of the information board with wait times:

And we briefly stopped at guest services where I saw these models of all ride vehicles that vision impaired guests could explore.

A view of the special Nemo monorail that was running during our visit:

It was promoting the Nemo & Friends Searider attraction. This was a re-theme of an attraction. It was very popular during our stay as it was newly reopened. And we had picked up a FastPass for later in the evening after our window had reopened.

Back at the hotel we decided to do something a bit crazy: we sent Michael’s underwear to the hotel laundry! With the incredibly hot and humid weather we were getting through clothes much quicker than we had planed. Unfortunately the Hilton did not have a laundry room. The Sheraton next door had one and we were thinking about going there. But I wasn’t really sure if we could use it without being guests there. Ultimately we decided that we just needed a few things and while it was not cheap to have them done at the Hilton, it was worth spending the money for making our lives easier. And it wasn’t just underwear, but a few more things.

I can't believe she is mentioning my unmentionables, but this is Germany where that kind of thing is appropriate ...

We of course headed to the lounge for some hanging out. Michael discovered his love for Fanta Grape there:

Michael went to high school in the inner city in Florida. He learned to love Fanta Grape back then ... Ok, I thought Fanta Grape was a Japanese thing, I guess it’s just not available in Germany thing…

We also snacked so much on the appetizers there that we called it an early dinner.

And then it was back to the park which looked beautiful in the evening light:

We even ran into Walt in the entrance area:

The first view of the park after entering is just stunning:

Our first stop was Big Band Beat, a show with Big Band music. Michael loved it. I nearly fell asleep. The music was nice, but I might have had some alcohol in the lounge and it was warm in there and the seat was comfy…

Big Sugar D seemed to enjoy the music though:

This is a great show. Phenomenal live singers and musicians and some characters too. The bear was classy enough to stay awake. Besides, one of his gal pals was a performer.

Then it was time to get on Nemo Seariders. We decided to get the Electric Railway to get there. This runs on an elevated track and gives you additional views of the park. Since it was getting dark already, my pictures aren’t worth showing, but it was a fun little ride.

This would be like the Peoplemover, only themed to the nines. It also has a long history as WDI first contemplated something like this for FL's MSUSA and later itcamethisclose to being built at DLP’s. Yes, DLP’s Main Street nearly ended up as a 1920s type street, with speakeasy and such!

Seariders is a simulator attraction like star tours. You are going in a submarine and meet Nemo and his friends. It is cute. Maybe it had been cuter if we understood the Japanese audio. But ultimately it was not really that great. I am glad that we got to see it with a FP as it had insanely long lines all day long.

Nah, it was pretty lousy. It replaced Stormrider, which was like a Star Tours type ride, but with fire, electrical and water effects in the cabin as you track a storm and something goes horribly wrong. It wasn't great, but solid. This ride almost gave me motion sickness. It just rocks gently, sorta like being on a small boat at sea when there is a chop. The entire time. And there's no real payoff. You just sorta hang with Nemo and pals. If you ever make it there when they allow (was about to use the phrase that got me placed in Facebook jail for 30 days before I did the smart thing and deleted the evil platform from my life, so wondering how to use the words here just in case ... first word is opposite of clean, second word is my nationality and third word starts with ver and ends with min) this is another attraction you can totally skip and not miss a thing.

We then went to get a snack, a Nemo themes snack:

The churro was orange flavored and the slushies were pineapple with jelly pieces and boba balls filled with pineapple juice. They made a fun pattern in the straws!

From there we ventured to ride 2000 Leagues Under the Sea. This is a minor attraction where you travel in submarines. It is not overly exciting, but very well done and we managed to catch it a few times with very short waits. I think that evening it was a walk on.

MINOR?!?!? In your own sub?!?!

By the time we got out the slight drizzle that had started while we were on the Nemo ride had turned into heavier rain. But we did not let the weather deter us. We headed through streaming rain over to that supposedly magnificent ride Sinbad. Since we had not been on this often enough…

Chandu is life!!!

There we got chilled down very well with perfect air-conditioning while we were quite soaked. But we got to experience this from our own boat. No one else was in this corner of the park.

I think we might have taken two rides even and also added in a spin on Caravan Carousel which is quite interesting as it is a double-decker carousel.

From there we decided to head over to the Mermaid Lagoon. This is mainly an indoor land with a lot of attractions for small kids. Think Bug’s Land from DCA (when it existed). Being an indoor land was good for the rainy weather!

The rain had turned from drizzle at 730 into a downpour by 8. Waterfalls were running down walkways and we were soaked, but I wasn't cutting short our first day at TDS together and I knew it would chase away the crowds. Spoiler alert here: this was the ONLY rain we had on our entire almost three-week Asian Adventure.

He seems to have forgotten the downpour on our first day in Kyoto… But in general, yes, for going there in the rainy season, we were very lucky with the weather.

But bad for pictures as it is quite dark inside:

Besides the kiddie rides, there is also a show: King Triton’s Concert.

This show had very long wait times during the day, but now in the evening we didn’t have to wait. We had no real concept of what this show was going to be about besides being something Little Mermaid related. And then we were quite amazed how great this show is! The show is nearly circular and it uses screens, puppets, Ariel suspended from the ceiling and doing acrobatics while singing and then an impressive King Triton Animatronic. We were quite impressed!

This was a first for me as well. On my prior visit, the show (actually same subject, but different presentation) was closed.

On the way out I had to take a picture of the carpet in there:

By the time we left here, it was just before closing time at 10 pm. We figured that if we walked quickly, we would be able to get into Tower of Terror before it closed, so we walked quickly and made it into the ride! By then we were really soaked as it was still raining.

While in line we started to chat with two guys from Australia whom we had seen in the lounge at the Hilton. They commented on Michael’s DVC hat that he was wearing (a free one from one of our cruises).

The ride was great the second time around again and afterwards we returned to the hotel wet, tired but happy. It had been a very good day!

Up next:

A Relaxed Morning

Bonus update: Some tips for Europapark

So, this is especially for @tink2424, but hopefully our other readers find this interesting. Michael wrote this and I added pictures and a few comments.

Well, first of all you're staying onsite and for the correct number of days, so no advice needed there.

EP is located in a truly tiny village and there are not dining options beyond mom and pop German places that we have never tried. There is a large Edeka supermarket that recently replaced a tiny one on the edge of town right near Rulantica. There are a McDonald's and Burger King one exit down the motorway, which also features an EP welcome center from those coming from the south. This is without me knowing whether you will have a car when there.

The park opened in 1975 and somehow kept major hotel chains out of the area entirely until two years ago when a Holiday Inn Express opened.

Three days is perfect for EP. The park has probably between 3-4 times as many attractions as the MK does. The thing is the attractions are everything from small amusement style rides for kids to family rides to modern coasters to dark rides to a handful of attractions that can easily compete with what Disney and Universal build. There are also numerous transportation options that give the park kinetics that remind me of DL's Tomorrowland in 1990 on my first visit when you had a Monorail, Peoplemover, Skyway, Subs, Autopia cars, Motorboats etc all moving in, around and over each other. They are great for relaxing, photo taking and people watching ... and getting from one side of the park to another.

You will also benefit as a resort guest with a private entrance in the Spain section of the park.

BTW, for those who don't know, EP is owned by the Mack family. They are one of the largest builders of ride systems for parks globally. Slinky Dog Dash at DHS is one of theirs, for example. The park sprang up as almost a living showroom of their ride systems.

This is the entrance to the park:

As you see, the Mack family is very proud of their achievement and they like to self promote. The „World’s best Leisure Park“ banner is a good example.

The entrance plays up the Europe theme with lots of flags and „Ed Euromaus“, the park’s mascot:

###

Before I forget, great Twitter account to follow is @EuropaParkUK. That's their official English language account. Language will not be an issue. Everyone there will speak English and most are fluent.

Don't expect to spend nights in the park. The park's typical hours are 10-6 or 10-7 type of deal. Sometimes, they will extend by an hour and announce it while you are there. Night hours do not exist except for one summer Saturday a year when they stay open until midnight (at no extra cost) and for their version of Halloween Horror Nights called Traumatica, which take place in October (no idea whether they will this year) at an upcharge.

This is a park where you just want to take it slowly. In multiple visits, we've never waited much longer than 30 minutes for anything because the park is huge and there is no FP type system. They did add a virtual queue system last year for six major attractions due to the pandemic and wanting to reduce crowding, no idea whether that shall remain when it ends. It did work great for us. So I would definitely download the app.

Park has 18 lands/areas (most themed to a European nation or region). They are France, Germany, Grimm's Enchanted Forest, Ireland, England, Italy, Iceland, Scandinavia, Spain, Russia, Austria, Holland, Luxemburg, Greece, Switzerland, Portugal, Adventure Land, Minimoys Kingdom.

A couple of pictures of the amazing theming. First Scandinavia:

Switzerland:

Some of the lands are packed with attractions, others less so. For example, Ireland, which opened in 2016, has rides really aimed at the youngest.

Grimm's is an area based on all those horrible fairy tales that scar German kids because they aren't dumbed down/Disneyfied (Perhaps, M can join in here with the tale of the mass goat murderer and how he meets his fate?)

It’s the fairytale of the Wolf and the Seven Young Goats. In short, the wolf tricks the 7 little goats into believing that he is their mother and then eats them. Mother returns home, realizes what happens, sees wolf asleep after his massive meal and cuts open his stomach and all the little goats jump out. He was so voracious that he just swallowed them whole (my mother used to tell me this fairytale as a lesson why you need to chew your food properly, something I still struggle with, I eat far too quickly). In order to let the wolf (yes, the guy who was just cut up without any anesthetics) not realize that the goats were out, mother goat put heavy stones in his tummy and sewed him back up. When he woke up and needed a drink because he was so thirsty after his big meal, he bent over to drink from the well and then fell into the deep well because of the heavy stones in his tummy!

These are all located in small vignettes in a storybook forest where you can push buttons (in multiple languages, including English) that bring the tales to life before your eyes. These areas are very common in all German parks. But this is by far the nicest I have seen. Those vignettes were very popular in Germany, called Märchenwald (fairytale forest) and very few remain. This one is actually a newly designed and much more elaborate than the traditional ones.

Many of the older rides are quaint small scale boat rides and things like that. Shops generally are very themed and feature merchandise one would expect in that area, for instance Swiss chocolate in Switzerland.

The park is amazingly landscaped with lots of trees and benches and gardens and quiet corners to sit and snack or relax in.

My top 10 attractions in EP would be:

1.) Pirates in Batavia

(EP's version of PoTC. It burned to the ground in 2018 and was completely rebuilt and modernized in less than two years, adding a storyline ... it also has a great quick serve Asian restaurant that overlooks part of the ride. It was very non-PC from 1987 to 2018, but has been changed a fair bit, while keeping the exact same layout as the original. The best attraction in the park right now.)

The ride is in the Holland section - due to the Netherlands having had colonies in South East Asia where the ride takes place. Therefore the outside is Holland themed, here is the entrance to the great restaurant:

While the inside is all Asian themed:

And at certain times during the day, there is even a show for the diners, we were lucky to catch one last summer, which was amazing. Dinner theater for quick service prices.

The boats from the ride go around that stage and then the exit is on the left just outside the restaurant.

2.) Blue Fire Mega Coaster: opened with the Iceland expansion in 2009 and featuring show scenes, a thrilling launch and multiple inversions.

picture from outside the park:

3.) Silver Star: a coaster not built by Mack Rides, but a B&M Hyperccoaster. No inversions, but plenty of airtime and thrills at park's entrance.

It actually goes out into the parking lot and is quite a sight!

4.) Voletarium: Basically, Soaring Over Europe ... actually, much better than the current Soarin' Over the World at EPCOT.

5.) Eurosat CanCan Coaster: If you've seen videos of the park, you see a dome that looks like a small version of SSE at EPCOT. Inside the structure was a coaster that was completely rebuilt and themed to Paris and the Moulin Rouge (really! Can Can dancers, music, fireworks etc.)

6.) Arthur and the Minimoys: an attraction that is a combo coaster (one that actually flies out of the huge show building that features the entire land and won all sorts of TEA Awards when it debuted in 2014 or 2015) and dark ride based upon a European children's film. Definitely a family ride.

7.) Puppet Boat Ride: one of the small, old style quaint rides.

8.) Ghost Castle: when EP started, many of its attractions were knockoffs of Disney rides. This was -- and remains -- one. Over the top version of Haunted Mansion with more gore and scenes that just make your head spin. The portrait gallery is something to behold. (Jungle Rafts -- a truly racist version of Jungle Cruise and Piccolo Mondo -- Small World,
and Madame Freudenreich, which used to called Universe of Energy, also attractions you just have to experience!)

Madame Freudenreich:

9.) Snorri Touren: a new dark ride themed around Snorri, the mascot of the water kingdom of Rulantica. Slow and charming with a few surprises.

10.) Swiss Bob Run: think of this as the Matterhorn at DL if you were riding actual bobsleds. ###It’s a coaster without rails! So unique and a great extra thrill on an otherwise rather low thrill ride.###

***One note is that Wodan, a highly regarded wooden coaster is something we've never been able to get on (part of it is my concern about riding wooden coasters with my back, although I would try it). I am sure it is in the Top 5 of many EP regulars.

I would agree on 9 out of these, but I don’t enjoy Ghost Castle. For me it would be a one and done. I would instead put the Euro-Tower on this list which has amazing views over the park and the landscape (rather flat directly around Europapark as it is in the Upper Rhine Plain)

There are numerous water rides (I think 4-5) from log flume to raft to super splash ... I am not a huge fan of this genre, but I do like the rides I have been on. The log ride in particular goes into a mountain where a mine train coaster goes and you can walk through and see show scenes etc.

Park also has lots of live entertainment and shows (again, depending on time of year and pandemic). Also, I highly advise a ride on the Sky Tower when you first arrive to get an idea from high up on just how large the park is and where things are.

Food is universally good and fair priced, so it really depends on what you are looking to eat. Hotels are worth visiting and dining at (although your hotel has GREAT pizza, pasta, gelato, coffee and booze).

Hotel Colloseo:

I've actually had two birthday dinners (one a late pandemic deal in August of last year) at the Hotel Santa Isabel, a hotel themed to a 700-year-old Portuguese monastery.

The food and detailing at the hotels are marvels of detailing. Nothing like having a birthday dinner at said monastery and while your steak is being grilled, listening to all sorts of pop music including Can You Feel the Love Tonight from Lion King sung in Gregorian chant.

Menu from said pandemic birthday dinner:

Inside the restaurant, which is themed to the monastery’s pharmacy and herb garden:

Inner courtyard at the hotel El Andaluz:

One note about hotel restaurants: Since there is nothing to do but have dinner at the hotel, the restaurants can book out for dinner. The website has a decent tool to get reservations for dinner and they also have the menus for all restaurants on the website. I would suggest to get dining reservations beforehand. Not necessarily 180 days out, but ultimately it can’t hurt to get them 60 days early. Most of the restaurants are set up as buffets or very expensive signature dining. Last summer the buffets were limited. Who knows, what the rules will be in the fall…

And finally Michael told me to add in that you need to be prepared to pay for water! That’s a German thing. Water in a restaurant is nearly always bottled. If they give you tap water, it’s a nice bonus. Also, there are nearly no drinking fountains anywhere. Europapark has a strict no tap water at restaurants rule though. For the park I bring a refillable bottle and fill it at a tap in the restrooms. Lots of people do that. Oh - and everywhere in Europe you will have to specifically request ice cubes with your drink if you want those.

The bars and lounges are all beautifully detailed places where you just want to sit for a few hours relaxing and unwinding (unfortunately, like at Disney, you will find kids in bars at night ... little monsters!!! GRRR!!!)

I can't say enough great things about EP. The quality of everything and value for your dollar makes it a great place to visit/vacation.

Will come back with some Rulantica (which opened on Thanksgiving 2019) thoughts when I get some more free time.

Wow! That looks amazing. I didn't know the Macks owned that. I really wish we had gone when we visited that part of Germany in 2001. However, I hadn't really gotten back into theme parks then. Next time we are in that part of Germany/France/Switzerland, we are totally going.

OK, I can only do so many updates at once, so I'm going to comment on the first one and come back for the second.

Well I wrote that on June 15, 2019 and I guess I never made it back to finish, so I better start here before I move on to the new stuff!

The title gives it away. This is the prettiest Disney park I have seen in my life. Until I had been at TDS, that title went to Disneyland Paris. But there is no comparison. TDS is in its own league.

I have heard that before. That this is really the best park.

We passed through the walkway underneath the hotel and came out to the Mediterranean Harbor lagoon and Michael was appalled at what he heard: they were playing “Wishes” from the old WDW fireworks show. In broad daylight. Luckily without the children’s choir.

Thanks for that earworm. :sad2:

It was time for a restroom stop (I think this was already the second one for Mr Tiny Bladder,

:laughing: We were teased about the same thing on our recent visit to Disneyland.

you take off the beard and add lots and lots of earrings to one ear, you will have the face that inspired Mr. Hightower: Joe Rohde, the Imagineer.

That's pretty funny and neat!

A closer view of the S.S. Columbia. There is a restaurant and a bar onboard and you can explore the ship quite a bit.

Looks much different than the Columbia in DL!

Indiana Jones has a single rider line, so that is what we picked. The line is quite amazing, very different from Disneyland.

Sounds intriguing!

Next we headed to the other attraction in Lost River Delta: Raging Spirits. This is a coaster.

Also sounds like fun!

We backtracked to Port Discovery as we were now able to pick up the next FP. We were lucky to still get one for the Nemo & Friend Sea Rider:

I was wondering when you would have another opportunity to get FP since your first FP was so late.

Sindbad’s Storybook Voyage is a boat ride and tells you the story of Sindbad’s Voyages.

Sounds fun. Wonder why Michael has such an emotional attachment to it.

The bad news was that we had a lunch reservation that was due very soon and we were in the far corner of the park. So, it was quite a hike back to Mediterranean Harbor for lunch…

Hope you make it in time!

Bonus update: Some tips for Europapark
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! :thanks::thanks::thanks::rainbow:

I will try to take a stab at doing my own trip report when I return as well! I'm very excited by this trip (still crossing my fingers it will happen this year & luckily right now things are looking good). Everything about Europapark looks so well done. And I'm fine that it doesn't stay open too late. With all the walking I'm definitely going to need some good rest every night. I really appreciate all the tips & everything! I'm definitely going to ensure that I book reservations for dinner so we don't have any issues. We will definitely check out some of the other hotels as well.

The Tower of Terror in Tokyo is quite different from the one in the other parks. It’s still a hotel, but not set in Hollywood, but in NYC.

Thanks for the backstory. It's cool to compare between the theme parks.

I am lost most of the time as is.

No one is surprised by this.

This is where, in the distant Before Times, put in some infantile joke at the expense of people who live in Delaware. But since a resident of that tiny backwater saved the Republic, I feel that maybe I shouldn't ...

Saved the Republic. Just sayin'.

The last vote count was in Philadelphia, and residents were saying: if you thought we were obnoxious when the Eagles won the Super Bowl, we're never going to let you forget this!

I'll ponder this for a while ... like as long as it takes a Delawarean to eat a meal at the highest class place in the state: the Waffle House.

Is this supposed to be an insult? I could go for some Waffle House now.

The special effect in pre-show is so amazing that it alone (along with the incredible attention to detail everywhere ... this ain't the Tragic Apocalypse Kingdom) is worth waiting for. I won't spoil it for the simple reason that I don't know how they do it --- and don't want to. But the little evil idol literally takes over the room and then just disappears in front of your eyes.

That sounds awesome!

While Florida still has the best ride mechanism in my opinion. This elevator moving horizontally is just brilliant in my opinion.

As much as I don't enjoy the drops, i did think the ride effects were amazing. The elevator leaving the first shaft was such a great Twilight Zone-type touch.

Now, I could start a 5,000 word rant on why I enjoy theme parks and not BRAND/IP ones, but no way the dude from Delaware could keep up. Suffice to say, they are all great rides, but Tokyo's is a lot more detailed and some of us theme park snobs love that.

I just wouldn't want to read a 5,000 word rant.

Back at the hotel we decided to do something a bit crazy: we sent Michael’s underwear to the hotel laundry!

It's about time! You'd think he would pack more than one pair.

It looks amazing!

Our first stop was Big Band Beat, a show with Big Band music. Michael loved it. I nearly fell asleep. The music was nice, but I might have had some alcohol in the lounge and it was warm in there and the seat was comfy…

Julie and I are like this. She loves big band jazz music. I...tend to think it all sounds the same.

It replaced Stormrider, which was like a Star Tours type ride, but with fire, electrical and water effects in the cabin as you track a storm and something goes horribly wrong.

Fire, electrical and water effects make every ride better and should never be removed.

Spoiler alert here: this was the ONLY rain we had on our entire almost three-week Asian Adventure.

He seems to have forgotten the downpour on our first day in Kyoto…

:rotfl2:I'm going to start calling him Dory.

BTW, for those who don't know, EP is owned by the Mack family. They are one of the largest builders of ride systems for parks globally. Slinky Dog Dash at DHS is one of theirs, for example. The park sprang up as almost a living showroom of their ride systems.

Pretty slick business plan there.

In order to let the wolf (yes, the guy who was just cut up without any anesthetics) not realize that the goats were out, mother goat put heavy stones in his tummy and sewed him back up. When he woke up and needed a drink because he was so thirsty after his big meal, he bent over to drink from the well and then fell into the deep well because of the heavy stones in his tummy!

That's probably merciful. I shudder to think what would have happened if his digestive system would have continued to work.

Therefore the outside is Holland themed, here is the entrance to the great restaurant:

While the inside is all Asian themed:

I think that would mess with my head.

Swiss Bob Run: think of this as the Matterhorn at DL if you were riding actual bobsleds. ###It’s a coaster without rails! So unique and a great extra thrill on an otherwise rather low thrill ride.###

That sounds pretty fun!

The food and detailing at the hotels are marvels of detailing.

I am very impressed with the theming at Europa Park.

And finally Michael told me to add in that you need to be prepared to pay for water! That’s a German thing.

:sad2:

A note from Michael:

OK, friends, readers and insomniacs, I know what you must be thinking by now: that crazy loaded international super couple with homes on multiple continents who had a destination wedding celebration in Hawaii due to their real estate interest in the Disney Vacation Club and took two pandemic road trips around Europe last year are doing it again. Teasing you with a few posts only to wind up like any of a half dozen sci-fi shows on NBC in the past decade that get cancelled before you ever know what the real story was (remember that show that started with Jason Ritter on a cruise from hell?), but I digress because other than eating, sleeping and making fun of old German women, digressing is something I am really good at.

No. We will continue, I promise. I can't help it that my wife is lazy, unmotivated and spends approximately 53 hours a day watching Instagram posts put up by our new crazy neighbor from NYC, Agatha.

But enough about her. Today is about me!!!! (Wife can you put in some dancing banana emojis or something here?)

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
(hope those are enough)

I got my first vaccination today against the rona (in case you were sleeping, there's this pandemic thing going on and the Germans, who love pain and suffering, have been great at making sure it goes on and on and on by not having enough of this vaccine stuff that you can walk into a Walgreen's in Little Rock or a Publix in Nashville or a CVS in Boca Raton and get on the spot -- and without nine pages of paperwork too!)

I was excited by this because I have been saying for 7-8 months now that the pandemic ends for you when you are vaxxed. I still believe this.
So here with my new 5G Bill Gates implant chip I was already feeling pretty good (but not as good as his wife feels when she is talking to her divorce lawyer, amirite?) when the news came that Europa Park was reopening on Friday. And due to our incredible trip planning (even better than our trip report writing) we had hundreds of Euros (that's money for those of you from Delaware) sitting around from a trip canceled there in February due to their extended closure.

So quicker than my wife can finish a plate of German comfort food, she was sitting at our dining room table with Agatha, laptops synched, booking us a trip to EP in two weeks. Tickets purchased for two days in the park. Check. Accommodations at the new Holiday Inn Express booked. Check. Three meals at EP resort hotels (supposedly full, but I believe they're severely limiting people now). Check. Rental car that will fit all five of us (Agatha's husband, JJ, and son, Lil' C are coming too) booked. Not quite. Will be when you read this.

What should be important to you beautiful people -- and let's face it, I'm being generous here with some of you -- is that there will absolutely be a trip report written on this adventure. And this one will include me, my wife and the crazy neighbor. One helluva trio if I do say so myself.

When I found out they were moving here last year my first reaction naturally was ''WHY?!??! Are they insane?!?!" But my second reaction was ''We have got to take these swamp-loving Disney addicts to the best theme park resort in all of Germany and just watch what happens." Then that pandemic thing got in the way. And then it looked like pandemic scheduling, family responsibilities and travel would make this something tough to pull off until 2022. And then today, like a vaccine changing my DNA, turning me into a lizard man, everything in the universe flowed in the right direction and two weeks from now -- if the womenfolk can drive us 5.5 hours (it only feels like eight) and get us to our distinctly non-luxury digs in one piece -- I'll be jumping on the hotel beds with Lil' C.

This should be fun. No, not the trip. That's a given.

I'm talking about the trip report about it.

Agatha is also a crazy OCD photographer, so it will be nice to not have to take pics all the time.

As to this trip report ... I am so ready to tell y'all about what happened on July 5, 2017 when we spent our second day at TDL ... but I am waiting on the wife. So, this could take a while. At least you know who to blame.

Congrats on the vaccine. It feels thrilling, doesn't it? Who knew that something I am phobic of would be so exciting and make me elated :rotfl2: Can't wait to hear about Europa Park! It sounds amazing, and I am kicking myself that I have never been in my 3 visits to Germany.

So I thought that I was going crazy. I remembered replying to your TR, but couldn't find it until after I read the TDL update. So I still may be crazy, but at least I did respond to your update.

I'll come back to read the Europa Park update later.

So, we are visiting as one of the tourist groups, the CMs are dressed as tour guides. The audio is all in Japanese, but you can still figure out what is going on most of the time.

Very interesting back story. I especially liked how he was modeled after Joe Rohde.

While I hate the outside look of Anaheim now, the ride there is probably the most of fun of them all now.

I haven't actually seen the Avengers Campus, but what I have seen over the fences, I think it fits in well with the new area.

What she said. We did experience the GotG version that is now at DCA on our VERY extended -- but not nearly enough -- honeymoon in November of 2019. And loved it, despite not wanting to. My issue is simply one of theming. Disney spent almost $3 billion to remake DCA and the ToT fit the new look perfectly. This doesn't. But It does allow them to shill their Marvel IP.

Well you do know they are all about the Benjamins? My Endocrinologist said that he had a reservation to go out to Disney once his 12 year old son was vaccinated. I started to talk about Galaxy’s Edge. He replied, "Oh, we aren't park hopping or anything, we are just going to DCA for the new Avengers thing."

Back at the hotel we decided to do something a bit crazy: we sent Michael’s underwear to the hotel laundry!

I can't believe she is mentioning my unmentionables, but this is Germany where that kind of thing is appropriate ..

It is her TR!

We of course headed to the lounge for some hanging out. Michael discovered his love for Fanta Grape there:

Michael went to high school in the inner city in Florida. He learned to love Fanta Grape back then ... Ok, I thought Fanta Grape was a Japanese thing, I guess it’s just not available in Germany thing…

Back when I could drink sugary drinks, I used to love Fanta Grape! Now the only sugary drinks that I drink are fermented.

That doesn't even look like a theme park. It looks like an ancient village.

Seariders is a simulator attraction like star tours. You are going in a submarine and meet Nemo and his friends. It is cute.

Nah, it was pretty lousy.

It cracks me up how you two rarely agree on anything!

the slushies were pineapple with jelly pieces and boba balls filled with pineapple juice. They made a fun pattern in the straws!

This sounds weird to me....

From there we ventured to ride 2000 Leagues Under the Sea. This is a minor attraction where you travel in submarines.

MINOR?!?!? In your own sub?!?!

Again....never on the same page.

This show had very long wait times during the day, but now in the evening we didn’t have to wait. We had no real concept of what this show was going to be about besides being something Little Mermaid related. And then we were quite amazed how great this show is!

Glad to hear you both enjoyed something!

Ok, I feel like there is some added comments (and corrections) necessary:

my wife is lazy, unmotivated and spends approximately 53 hours a day watching Instagram posts

Of course all these things he says there about me are not true - as any halfway sane person would figure out since there are less than 53 hours in a day (unless you are Hermione and have a Time-Turner).

I got my first vaccination today against the rona

In case anyone was wondering, then non-lazy wife got her first shot 17 days ago thanks to her important job at a police vaccination center. By a police man in uniform!

Germans, who love pain and suffering, have been great at making sure it goes on and on and on by not having enough of this vaccine stuff that you can walk into a Walgreen's in Little Rock or a Publix in Nashville or a CVS in Boca Raton and get on the spot -- and without nine pages of paperwork too!

The one thing true here, is the nine pages of paper work. In case anyone is interested: Aufklaerungsbogen-Englisch.pdf (rki.de)

Otherwise: Yes, there was a shortage of vaccine doses in the first quarter of the year. But things have sped up quite a bit now and we are at between 650.000 and 750.000 daily doses on a 7-day average. The US has quite exactly 4 times as many people as Germany, so that equals between 2.5 and 3 million doses in the US. We are standing at 38.8 % of the population having their first shot. BUT, Michael is right in so far that is painfully difficult to get a vaccination appointment as it is now mainly done by doctor practices. So your acces depends on whether your doctor has many elderly patients and/or many patients who want the vaccine. Currently in Germany 75% of the population say they want to get vaccinated (or already have been). So, it's in high demand.

So quicker than my wife can finish a plate of German comfort food, she was sitting at our dining room table with Agatha, laptops synched, booking us a trip to EP in two weeks.

Proof:
planning.jpg

That's me and @brookelizabeth looking at hotel and rental cars.

I'll be jumping on the hotel beds with Lil' C

I hope not... I don't want to have to pay for a broken hotel bed... Michael is not a skinny 13-year old!

As to this trip report ... I am so ready to tell y'all about what happened on July 5, 2017 when we spent our second day at TDL ... but I am waiting on the wife. So, this could take a while. At least you know who to blame.

Actually, I have a large part written already, so hopefully you will get to read it soon. And this weekend is a long weekend in Germany and I will have extra time!

I've been enjoying all this so far.
Added Europa-Park to my maybe-belongs-on-the-bucket-list list.
Looking forward to the upcoming TR TDL stories.

Great update!

Looking forward to Europa-Park adventures! This may have to be added to my bucket list!

With you two planning this will be an epic TR! Brooke looks so serious! :surfweb:

Proof:
planning.jpg

That's me and @brookelizabeth looking at hotel and rental cars.

A note from Michael:

Can't wait to read this and I hope you all have a fabulous time!!! I can't wait for my trip!!!

Wow! That looks amazing. I didn't know the Macks owned that. I really wish we had gone when we visited that part of Germany in 2001. However, I hadn't really gotten back into theme parks then. Next time we are in that part of Germany/France/Switzerland, we are totally going.

You obviously need to plan another trip to Europe! :rotfl:

Thanks for the Europa Park info! I think we need to go!

You are welcome!

Well I wrote that on June 15, 2019 and I guess I never made it back to finish, so I better start here before I move on to the new stuff!

Hey, we saw each other between June 15, 2019 and now in person! And that feels like it was in another life time!

I was wondering when you would have another opportunity to get FP since your first FP was so late.

Yes, I think it was the typical 2 hours after time of first FP. But there aren't a lot to be gotten and most go very quickly!

Sounds fun. Wonder why Michael has such an emotional attachment to it.

It's the Sherman brothers score I am sure. The music is indeed very nice. Oh, and for any cat lover it would be the very very cute tiger!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! :thanks::thanks::thanks::rainbow:

I will try to take a stab at doing my own trip report when I return as well! I'm very excited by this trip (still crossing my fingers it will happen this year & luckily right now things are looking good). Everything about Europapark looks so well done. And I'm fine that it doesn't stay open too late. With all the walking I'm definitely going to need some good rest every night. I really appreciate all the tips & everything! I'm definitely going to ensure that I book reservations for dinner so we don't have any issues. We will definitely check out some of the other hotels as well.

Send me a link to your TR when you start it, I definitely want to read it!

And just a bit of warning: While most of EP is very well done, there are a few very odd things about it, too, where it looks like a cheap and cheesy Disney copy. But that's some of the charm.

Saved the Republic. Just sayin'.

:worship:

I just wouldn't want to read a 5,000 word rant.

I have to listen to them... :rolleyes1

It's about time! You'd think he would pack more than one pair.

:rotfl:

Fire, electrical and water effects make every ride better and should never be removed.

There was an attraction in Paris (at the studios park) that was only fire, electrical and water effects. Nothing else. Not a ride. Just a 3 minute effects show. You would probably have liked it, just as my husband did. To me it was the most pointless attraction I ever experienced.

:rotfl2:I'm going to start calling him Dory.

Oh, I need to remember that.

That's probably merciful. I shudder to think what would have happened if his digestive system would have continued to work.

The whole wolf story has a lot of logical holes in it! But the "Table-set-yourself, gold donkey and cudgel out of the bag" fairytale is a good competitor. It also features a goat. A lying goat!

I haven't actually seen the Avengers Campus, but what I have seen over the fences, I think it fits in well with the new area.

That's interesting. I still think the transition could have been better...

Well you do know they are all about the Benjamins? My Endocrinologist said that he had a reservation to go out to Disney once his 12 year old son was vaccinated. I started to talk about Galaxy’s Edge. He replied, "Oh, we aren't park hopping or anything, we are just going to DCA for the new Avengers thing."

:earseek:
Well, I think there are people who would react to me telling them that out of 15 days in Japan we spent 5 at Disney the same way. I guess some people have other priorities... And at least they won't be frustrated about boarding groups this way. I am already getting hives thinking about that stress in the fall at WDW!

It is her TR!

Yes, it is! Thank you! :love:

That doesn't even look like a theme park. It looks like an ancient village.

It does. Some people don't like this about TDL because it looks too realistic. Too much like a real place and not a storybook place.

It cracks me up how you two rarely agree on anything!

Ah! But we do agree on the big things! :thumbsup2 And the rest just adds spice to life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter