An August 2019 (kind of) Solo TR! Updated 10/7!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
Part 24: Island Exploration

Neither my parents, nor I, had ever been over to Tom Sawyer’s Island before this trip. Since we had a little bit of time left before we could use our Splash Mountain passes we went exploring!

A raft had just left to take a group over there when we showed up, so we had a little wait while the other raft returned and unloaded passengers. We ended up riding over with a group of High School students participating in a Disney program that I am now blanking on the name of (pretty sure it was the YES - youth education series, though). I’d never heard of it before, but they had a guide with them and it looked like a cool opportunity!

Pics from our island adventure!

Watching the Columbia sail by from our raft (or from the loading area for our raft)
12F2EE8C-AA33-435E-A29A-FC7067918970.jpeg

Rushing waters. Haha
3C9F568D-CBC8-4BBB-AE77-2AD2FC5BCE8F.jpeg

Treehouse
69BF08A0-0478-40FA-B5DC-222BA3A9C8EC.jpeg

Abandoned boat
9B1D5A0C-04EC-44A2-AE00-5DFE91CDB739.jpeg

Cool bridge
E66B2400-4194-4036-9945-881E66346CC1.jpeg

Watching the Mark Twain pass by
0744430A-12D7-4115-812B-A3B57C346973.jpeg

Another abandoned looking ship (this one reminded me of Eric’s ship from The Little Mermaid a bit, or maybe one of the Pirates of the Caribbean ships?)
07151B90-7315-430A-B040-2689F32F295F.jpeg

We explored in a bunch of the little caves too, I didn’t get a ton of pics because of the lightning - but here’s a few that turned out okay!
D676414B-8475-439F-8994-9A28B3C63C3B.jpeg

6A335C4F-64A0-406B-AC1F-344C0590ABE4.jpeg

ABB40C8D-D874-435F-A2BA-025BA12F194E.jpeg

After we’d made our way around most of the island and ended back up by the raft loading area, they were loading another group to go back over it the other side. We hurried to get on, and made our way back over to Critter Country! Our Splash Mountain return window was almost ready :)

Next Up: A Sunny Disney Afternoon

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
I know what you mean about those eggs at Flo's. I agree -- they are definitely powdered. It gave me such a terrible upset stomach! Never again! If my group is eating breakfast there, I'm getting the banana french toast for sure.

• momtohms

Mouseketeer
    I promise I haven’t forgotten about this! It’s been a busy month of adjusting back to the school schedule, getting started in all the girls’ activities, and all that jazz. I’m hoping to get a couple of updates posted over the weekend at least!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
    I know what you mean about those eggs at Flo's. I agree -- they are definitely powdered. It gave me such a terrible upset stomach! Never again! If my group is eating breakfast there, I'm getting the banana french toast for sure.
    Ooh that Banana French toast always looks so good, but I have yet to actually get it! Next time I go for sure!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
    Part 25: A Sunny Disney Afternoon!

Another item on my bucket list for this trip was to walk the “secret path” and watch people riding splash Mountain. It’s probably not really a secret, it’s a little walkway just past the Harbor Galley and it takes you to some more seating and a viewing spot where you can see the logs come past right after the drop on Splash. I didn’t get any pics, but it was a fun spot to kill a few minutes and see the range of reactions (and levels of drench, haha) that people have!

When it was time for our Fast Pass return window, we headed over to Splash and got in line! I knew we were heading over to DCA that afternoon, so I booked an Incredicoaster MaxPass right after I scanned in for Splash.

I’m used to riding this single rider it as a party of one fast pass user (and usually ending up toward the back). This time, they put us in the front three spots and being the generous daughter that I am - I took the very front 😂

I surprisingly didn’t get as wet as I was anticipating, but it was so much fun to be up front! It was even more hilarious when we got to the photo screens though. I was busy getting my phone out of the ziplock so I could take a pic of the screen to have the photo pass number and I hear my parents go “Oh my gosh, Christie, you have to look at it!”

They say a picture says a thousand words!
    FC86EBD3-FBB0-4CF3-A026-8C08A3B69272.jpeg

So maybe I managed to block out both of my parents with one hand. Lol!

We were ready for a snack after and decided to head over to Tropical Hideaway for some Dole Whips! All three of us decided on the same thing: a Pineapple & Raspberry swirl! So good!
    B85D19DF-F580-42C8-96B1-35E27788F787.jpeg

While we enjoyed our treats and a little break to dry off, we made some plans for the afternoon! The Dapper Dans were a must see for all of us, and they had a show coming up on Main Street - so we planned for that first. Then we would head over to DCA to see the Pixarmonic Orchestra. My Incredicoaster FP window opened at this point, so I quickly hopped on the app and was able to grab a RSR pass for later that evening.

After finishing our Dole Whips, we headed to Main Street to scope out where the Dans would be and wait for their performance! We waited about half way down Main Street near a couple of areas where I’d seen them perform in the past. They came out right before showtime and saw us waiting, and directed us to the front of the Disney Clothiers, Ltd. shop! Before they started their performance, they chatted with us for a bit as more people showed up. It was a lot of fun! We stayed for the whole set and they put on a great show :)

829CEED6-A05D-48ED-B307-6C38764568C4.jpeg

98CFEAC2-77C0-4DC1-9AA0-2DC2AFFEBCD4.jpeg

We headed over to DCA after, I had about 15-20 minutes left to use my Incredicoaster pass so I headed there. My parents went to get seats for the Pixarmonic showing and I would meet them there after!

Incredicoaster ride pic!
    0DE7B0B9-2297-48D5-A829-4AE88ACC06A8.jpeg

As I was heading off the ride and over to where my parents were, I noticed the line for Jessie’s Critter Carousel was pretty short so I hopped in that real quick. It ended up being a slightly longer wait than I thought because I didn’t get right on, but it was still under 10 minutes.

I was one of the first ones on, so I quickly grabbed a backwards skunk! Haha! I couldn’t get a good pic of myself on the skunk, but I did grab a shot looking ahead :)
    9290DF7E-6CEB-487E-ADF0-551B6A62D75E.jpeg

By the time I made it over to my parents, the Pixarmonic show should have already started - but there was nobody on the stage. My parents were still there waiting on me, and we found out that they had cancelled that particular time for that day. Such a bummer! Especially now that they’ve completely cancelled the show.

We decided to do some more rides on the pier, and went to the Silly Symphony Swings first. It had a 15 minute wait, which turned into more like a 20-25 minute wait. During the ride that was going on while we were waiting, something happened that caused an alarm to go off - so they had to stop it mid-ride, bring it back down, check everything over, and the restart it. We heard it was from someone unbuckling during the ride, but I don’t know if that was what happened for sure.

It did give me a chance to take some cool pics of the Incredicoaster from the line though!
    370EE6D7-C99E-4DFB-8E48-C8B209EA7A66.jpeg

FF1EEE53-AB5B-4B29-936A-2C9BA1AB890B.jpeg

After our turn on the Silly Symphony Swings (no unbuckled seats or alarms for us, lol) we walked over and walked right on to the Golden Zephyr!

Next up we headed over to Cars Land and went single rider on RSR! I ended up in the same car as my Mom, and we raced the car my Dad was in :) I can’t remember for sure, but I’m pretty sure he won.

Ride Pic
    AC74E24B-2E52-43C3-918C-31E14DCC9B7E.jpeg

Coming up: Driving & Dining

Last edited:
  • VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
    I'm only through page 1 of your TR so far, but it's great! Love the pics of New Orleans Square early in the morning when it's so empty!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
    I'm only through page 1 of your TR so far, but it's great! Love the pics of New Orleans Square early in the morning when it's so empty!
    Thank you! I love early mornings in the parks for the low crowds, totally worth getting up for :)

VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
    Thank you! I love early mornings in the parks for the low crowds, totally worth getting up for :)
    I totally agree! My kids now say, "When we're at Disneyland, you don't sleep in." And it's because of pictures like yours first thing in the morning. It's magical!

• momtohms

Mouseketeer
    Part 26: Driving & Dining

We had enough time to squeeze in another ride before dinner, so over to Mater’s we went! It was nearly a walk on, but I had enough time to grab a couple pics while waiting in the queue.

C391D0C3-0B12-4A6F-B3DC-89EF996F9E8D.jpeg

F89D1A50-A2AF-4A1D-8FC6-9F1A42E24C86.jpeg

My parents rode together, and I spent the ride trying to take a cute picture of them. Haha!
    3050B202-A6DC-402D-97DF-F5B339A8F5E4.jpeg

We headed over to the pier and did a little shopping at the store across from Lamplight Lounge (Knick’s Knacks). When it was just before our reservation time, we checked in and were given a buzzer and told it shouldn’t be too long of a wait.

It ended up being around 5-10 minutes later that the buzzer went off, and we returned to the host stand to get our seats. They took us downstairs and showed us to three stools at the bar. My parents and I were all really disappointed about this, we had planned for this to be our one nice sit down meal of the trip and we really didn’t want to sit at a bar counter. We asked if we could get moved to a table, but they said we’d have to go back upstairs and wait and they didn’t know how long it would be since they were crowded. So we decided to just stay, since we were hungry and had evening plans.

They were really good about my Mom’s dairy allergy, but initially they thought we all had the allergy and had given us all the allergy menus. After we got that sorted and my Dad and I got the regular menus things got better :) I ordered the Open Ocean cocktail and the lobster nachos, My Dad got the Salmon PLT, and I believe my Mom got a salad.

Hanging glasses above our seats
    DFFC6EA2-86C2-4A11-97FB-843035F23E18.jpeg

A couple of drink pics, it was so pretty and tasted delicious!
    F0A0D2C4-09E6-47B6-8EF9-49D2D1F0C61E.jpeg

1F0F2E1C-CBE2-4DED-BD61-5A33625E88FE.jpeg

The famous lobster nachos!
    41C7F6C2-E590-431A-97C8-D9154BD86967.jpeg
    I did not enjoy these as much as I did the last time I had them when it was still the Cove Bar. Though I can’t entirely fault the restaurant. I don’t like sour cream at all, but I didn’t remember the crema they used on it being too overwhelming - so I didn’t request they leave it off. I absolutely should have though, they put SO much on it was drowning the chips and the taste dominated. I wasn’t able to eat the bottom half because it was just a gross soggy mess. The lobster and chips on top were great though.

All in all, I’d probably go back - but will definitely request an actual table and skip the crema!

Next up: Sh Boom! Sh Boom!

momtohms

Mouseketeer
    Part 27: Sh Boom! Sh Boom!

The neon lighting ceremony right around sunset in Cars Land is my Dad’s favorite part of the parks, so naturally it was a must for our trip!

I had made our Lamplight Lounge reservation early enough that we had plenty of time after to wander back over to Cars Land and find a good spot to watch.

Sun setting over Radiator Springs
    23238DD1-B4B4-4217-8104-5ECFFB0B886A.jpeg

I love how the cast members pass out little flags and dance with the kiddos in the middle of the road!
    5C9B1A89-8243-4509-BDAF-59B602A59D88.jpeg

Loving all the neon! So fun!
    62FBCC69-6EA1-4F30-9B44-E92BE7A00DD0.jpeg

0F132624-520B-4DDB-812C-13AAEF5E8C7A.jpeg

62FF36B8-26AD-4458-9576-FB75DCCD828E.jpeg

After the lights were on, my Dad and I hopped in line for Luigi’s!

E5540980-7F50-4DB3-8685-76CBBAECA963.jpeg

This is another ride that is so much fun at night! I love these overhead strands of lights with the flags
    C7E0F4A2-987C-4401-81BA-9A404A224BFE.jpeg

Some on the ride pictures :)
    BB10A516-351C-406B-A2F4-FFD4B94732AF.jpeg

F7D8BADB-D4BB-4B2B-99C1-C51E9C976432.jpeg

F2D2D1D8-B68C-406A-B3BF-554DDB527E21.jpeg

The create post function has been so glitchy for me lately (part of the reason for the long time between updates!) I finally got all the pics in and some text with it, but I have no idea if it’s going to look good once I hit post. Apologies if the format is all wonky!

Coming up next, Part 28: A Colorful End to Day Two!

Had to share a quick bit of exciting news: it looks like a trip for DH and I to Disneyland for our anniversary and my birthday next summer is officially in the works! DH wasn’t totally sold on the idea when I first brought it up (His first question was “didn’t you just go?!” And I was all “Yes, that doesn’t count. When did YOU last go?” Lol!) But I think it was the Imagineering Story on Disney+ that convinced him that a kid free trip to enjoy all the new things he hasn’t gotten to see yet would be a ton of fun. There should also be some new things for me to see too - ROTR for sure, and hopefully the first phase of Avengers Campus will have opened also. Yay!

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates