An Adventure into Walt's Wonderful World-a pre-trip report New 12/17

I forgot in yesterday's update to mention that I called Grauman's Chinese theater because I really wanted to try to take a tour of it on our free time. They have tour every 1/2 hr during the day up until about 5pm & then every hour until 9pm, so I am excited that it looks like we can do this on our own time on Wednesday. :cool1:

So, to get me in the mood for the trip, I ordered some reading material that I thought would be fun & the books came today.
For Jim Henson Studios
100_4419.jpg

For Disneyland
100_4420.jpg

And while we are on the subject of books, I have a little obsession with Disney books as you may have figured out when I got so excited about the one on Disneyland art that I found at TJ Maxx. One of my Disney book shelves.....
100_4426.jpg

If you like to read about Walt & Disney in general....here are some recommendations.
Soooooo good. My DH found this for me last year for Christmas.
100_4422.jpg

Great antecdotes
100_4423.jpg

Just essential
100_4424.jpg

And the group we are all fascinated with
100_4425.jpg

That concludes today's lesson on Essential Disney books to read conducted by Melanie :rotfl:

Where do I sign up for a library card to your library!? I'd love to read those books. Guess I'll have to make a stop at the bookstore to see what I can find! :thumbsup2

Ok, so you know I was having trouble finding a muppet shirt after I got the one that fit a toddler.:lmao:
So I posted over on the disign board.......where they make the coolest custom t shirt designs to see if anyone had any muppet designs.
They came up with some really cool stuff.....
Which one do you guys like?
Muppets-2copy.jpg

I like this one because it includes Jim Henson

muppets1.jpg

Love the colors in this one

MakingMemoriesKermit-1.jpg

How cute is Kermit????

I like the last one the best, the middle one second best and the first one third best. :goodvibes

how is since the world began, i heard it was pretty good.

i am almost done reading, the imagineering book to the Magic kindgom by the imagineers, i wonder how it relates to the imagineering one that you have.

It's a toss up between the first and the second, but I give a slight nod to the second if only because it has Animal and Gonzo on it.

And not to derail your PTR, but I actually followed through on starting my El Capitan TR. It's the August link in my sig for any who may be so inclined.

Ok, so you know I was having trouble finding a muppet shirt after I got the one that fit a toddler.:lmao:
So I posted over on the disign board.......where they make the coolest custom t shirt designs to see if anyone had any muppet designs.
They came up with some really cool stuff.....
Which one do you guys like?...

the last one is my fave:cutie:

:lovestruc the banner you added to your kermie ornament!

Hi Mary Poppins and Bert
just popping in to say hello :wave2: :wave2:
missed you onboard the magic this Halloween :hug: :hug:

Your trip sounds wonderful
really enjoying your your pre trip report :thumbsup2

I like no 3 design too

sorry its a bit late
happybirthdaymagnet-1.png

Where do I sign up for a library card to your library!? I'd love to read those books. Guess I'll have to make a stop at the bookstore to see what I can find! :thumbsup2
A disney lending library would be a great idea wouldn't it? Happy reading.

I like the last one the best, the middle one second best and the first one third best. :goodvibes
I like them all.......

how is since the world began, i heard it was pretty good.

i am almost done reading, the imagineering book to the Magic kindgom by the imagineers, i wonder how it relates to the imagineering one that you have.
Since the World begain is good, but the books about Walt are my favorites.
I like those field guides to each park (I have those too on another bookshelf), but that Imagineering book is much more detailed about the process of imagineering. I highly recommend it.

It's a toss up between the first and the second, but I give a slight nod to the second if only because it has Animal and Gonzo on it.

And not to derail your PTR, but I actually followed through on starting my El Capitan TR. It's the August link in my sig for any who may be so inclined.
I like all the Muppet designs. I will have to sit on it & think about it.
I will head on over to your Aug TR shortly.

the last one is my fave:cutie:

:lovestruc the banner you added to your kermie ornament!
Me too. The banner just makes it more personal & that's the reason I wanted the ornament in the first place to help us remember our visit to Henson studios. We usually always buy an ornament on every trip.

Hi Mary Poppins and Bert
just popping in to say hello :wave2: :wave2:
missed you onboard the magic this Halloween :hug: :hug:

Your trip sounds wonderful
really enjoying your your pre trip report :thumbsup2

I like no 3 design too

sorry its a bit late
happybirthdaymagnet-1.png

Hi Jackie.......:wave:
We missed being there too!!!!
Lots of people seem to like the Kermit design best hmmmmmmmmmm.
Thanks for the belated bday wishes as well.

I love the pop art one! It's just plain fun.

Then the first one for the same reason as you

Finally, the green one is AWFULLY CUTE!

P.S. I love your GIVE THANKS sign next to your beautiful fall colors. THat is my favorite pic of all. :goodvibes

This is totally off-topic, but sometime I would love to read about how you met Rick S. He was my first love when I was about 12 yrs. old.:lovestruc

I love the pop art one! It's just plain fun.

Then the first one for the same reason as you

Finally, the green one is AWFULLY CUTE!

P.S. I love your GIVE THANKS sign next to your beautiful fall colors. THat is my favorite pic of all. :goodvibes
Thanks Melissa. I decorate that kitchen windown for each holiday. I just found the Give Thanks sign & pilgrims this year as Thanksgiving stuff always seems to be hard to find.

This is totally off-topic, but sometime I would love to read about how you met Rick S. He was my first love when I was about 12 yrs. old.:lovestruc
I will send you a PM about how I met Rick. He is the BEST!!!!!!!

:lmao:Ok, so you twisted my arm Melissa....I will put it here as a totally off-topic story.

So along with my Disney obsession that started at a very young age, my other obsession that started around age 13 was with Rick Springfield who in my humble opinion is one of the cutest & greatest Australians of all time.:thumbsup2 So, I found the music first unlike most fans of the time who found him on General Hospital first & then fell in love with him there as Dr Noah Drake. I do admit to watching though to get my Rick fix even back then. He was my first concert which my parents took me too at age 14 & stayed with me (good grief). I can remember being amazed to be in the same room with him. He was a tiny speck on a stage very far away. So all through my teens, I was a loyal RS fan & continue to follow his career & attended his concerts whenever he came to town. Then, he disappeared on me after an accident in the early 90's, but I never stopped listening to his music. I can remember on a trip in 1997 to WDW going to the Virgin Mega Store & finding all of his music on CD :worship: & I grabbed all those CD's up then because of course my albums were trashed from so many listenings.

So, of course when I came into the age of technology & got a computer in 2000 one of the first things I did was search for my Rick. Guess what? He had a new album & he was touring. If not for the internet, I wouldn't have had a clue. So I drug my best friend all the way to Dayton Ohio to see him for the first time live since 1987. Soooooooo great to see him again. Since then, he has continue to put out new music & tour. My DH who is the most wonderful man on earth puts up with this obsession & he is the one who now accompanies me to these shows. The very first show we went to was in Atlanta & this was when the dream to meet Rick was born. A girl sitting close to us had a smashed guitar in her possession & was all excited. I asked her about it & she said you could buy the guitar & get back stage to meet Rick. Well, it was all over then. He knew he was going to have to fork over the money & do this for me. We tried in vain to make it happen a few years later, but that wasn't to be (long story). So, to make sure what happened that night would not happen again, he bought me an autographed guitar which gave me entrance to a sound check at the show of our choice. So in June of 2007, we went to see Rick again in Chastain Park in Atlanta. I got to attend the sound check before the show. It was only me & one other girl. He sang several songs & I felt like I had my own personal concert. He chatted with us a bit from the stage & then when everything was all set for the sound check, he came down to talk to us. It was an amazing experience. I had thought all along that I wouldn't be able to talk to him & that I would cry, but I did very well & told him about why he meant so much to me. I got several BIG hugs & he was very gracious. He even asked where I was sitting in the audience & said he would try to make it out to me (he comes out in the crowd during the show). It was an experience that I never thought would happen to me & it was wonderful.

Here's the photo in my memory collage I made of the experience.......
100_4448.jpg

Since then, I have seen him several more times in concert. My DH runs into him in the gym in the hotel.....hilarious. He was right down the hall from us in August in the hotel & he just smiles & waves at me now. I am not a stalker, we just end up staying in the same place by accident. He is always gracious & stops when people ask him too for pictures & autographs. I don't bother him as I had my moment, but I do enjoy the fact that he seems to recognize me & always gives me that smile (which is rare for him unless he's having his picture made).

Oh another cool thing, his new CD Venus in Overdrive features fan photos in the CD line & my picture is in there. So freakin' cool. That's me in the bottom row next to the last picture in right hand corner....we both have on our sunglasses.
100_4429.jpg

Thanks for indulging me..........I love telling this story.

I'm off to my cake decorating class in a bit. I am going to try to make a Disney themed cake. If it turns out ok, I will post a picture later & I promise a Disney trip related update too.

Oh Melanie! That was the coolest fan story!! It had so many elements! Fanship, meeting, DH meeting, CD picture site! Great times! I'm so glad you shared it here! There were some people on my TR that were curious about it.. I'm gonna PM them and tell them to come read your story. HOW COOL!

I love the hair in that bottom pic!
ricks.jpg

i am sorry but i find this so funny

he sang at our county fair this year, which the fair grounds happen to be located in my city.

well they gave him the key to the city before he sang...and the funny thing was like 8 people showed up to the courthouse when they gave it to him, and he put it down on the table and forgot about it and left it.
:rotfl:

so whenever i hear his name i just laugh.

i am sorry and i think it is great that you like him.

so onto the imagenerring book, want to give it to me.
:goodvibes jk

Oh Melanie! That was the coolest fan story!! It had so many elements! Fanship, meeting, DH meeting, CD picture site! Great times! I'm so glad you shared it here! There were some people on my TR that were curious about it.. I'm gonna PM them and tell them to come read your story. HOW COOL!

I love the hair in that bottom pic!
ricks.jpg
I am glad you enjoyed it Melissa. It was a great day for me. That hair is terrible!!!!! Much better hair now.:thumbsup2

i am sorry but i find this so funny

he sang at our county fair this year, which the fair grounds happen to be located in my city.

well they gave him the key to the city before he sang...and the funny thing was like 8 people showed up to the courthouse when they gave it to him, and he put it down on the table and forgot about it and left it.
:rotfl:

so whenever i hear his name i just laugh.

i am sorry and i think it is great that you like him.

so onto the imagenerring book, want to give it to me.
:goodvibes jk
Ok young man.......there will be no dissing of Rick on this here trippie. Where's the smilie for tapping my foot.........:sad2: You are just too young to understand.......& not a girl. Surely more than 8 people showed up at the concert though..........his shows in Nashville at the Wildhorse both sold out last year. I forgive you for laughing but just because I like ya.............:rolleyes1 Now on to the Imagineering book......said in my best Napoleon Dynamite impression....."Get your own." :goodvibes

Ok, so here is my very first attempt at decorating a cake. I think it turned out ok. The red & black icing I was using was a little too thick, so I could have done a better job but for a first time I was pretty pleased.
100_4430.jpg

100_4431.jpg

Next week is cupcakes, so I am going to have to think of something cute to do.......

Ok, a real trip update for a change!!!!

So these are our must do's.

In Hollywood/LA
Besides our little morning outing before the trip officially starts which you have already read about......
Find the following stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Walt Disney, Roy Disney, Jim Henson,:donald:, :mickeyjum:, Snow White, The Sherman Brothers, Julie Andrews, Dick Van ****(can you believe the DIS does that to his name?), Johnny Depp, Judy Garland,Jimmy Stewart, Audrey Hepburn
Tour of Graumans Chinese Theatre & find handprints in front
Go check out the Roosevelt Hollywood Hotel (thanks to Lurkyloo) who told me about a cool burger joint & then I looked at the website & the place looks ultra old Hollywood & Marilyn Monroe used to live there
See the red carpet at the Kodak theatre where the Oscars are filmed
Explore Hollywood & Highland Center

At Walt Disney Studios
Pictures of Frank & Ollie's hand & feet prints & Julie Andrews of course
Look for legends plaques for favorites & find mice on statue (thanks to sleeping knight for this tip)

At Disneyland
Look at windows on Main Street
Visit the 50 years exhibit
Ride the Matterhorn (it was in refurb when I went in 2001)
Find Julie Andrews horse on the carousel
Ride all rides unique to Disneyland
Fantasmic/Fireworks/Parade
See Billy Hill & the Hillbillies
Explore Pirate Lair
Do the castle walk through.........I so hope this is open!!!!!

At California Adventure
See Pixar Play parade
Ride Tower of Terror & California Screamin' a bunch of times
Explore bugs lands & take lots of photos as this appears to be a really cool picture spot (Is Dot represented??????? Long story about me & Dot)
Maliboomer if it's still open!!!!
Toy Story Midway Mania
Animation Academy to draw characters & spend some time in Beast's Library

Shopping
Try not to spend a fortune at our special stop at Mickey's of Glendales at Walt Disney Imagineering :thumbsup2
Check out World of Disney in DTD-Must haves include a Disneyland Christmas ornament & DLand shirts for us at the very least.
Check out Marceline's in DTD-I love the hidden Mickey in the logo so I must get a picture of it.....
Go to Basin for Bath Bombs..........those things are heaven. We discovered them at WDW & they work great to soothe tired muscles.

I am sure there are more.................what did I leave out?????????

Up next........I am not sure........it's 27 days out. I have most of my planning done. How in the world am I going to keep you all entertained until we leave????:confused3

Are they letting you go to the Walt Disney Studios store at the Studios? That has a small selection of Walt Disney Studios merchandise and a ton of WDW merchandise(it's technically owned by WDW). I told you where to find the mice from Cinderella on the Legends Statue, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter