AMTRAK to Orlando, too risky?

DW is legally blind. She prefers the train. When we were planning our honeymoon cruise in December, she thought about taking the train. Then she thought about all of the delays she ran into just for trips from Pittsburgh to Philly or to DC. DW is not normally someone who watches the clock - two hours late for her would not be a big deal. However, she told me to book a flight.

From what she says, if you're not in a hurry to get someplace, can afford delays, and aren't a type A who sweats delays, Amtrak can be nice. Otherwise - fly!

Hi,

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't reccomend it if your cruising. My family from New Orleans took Amtrak one time to come down for our annual family Christmas get together a few years ago. Luckliy, we were just doing Disney and not cruising becuse their train came into the Orlando station over three hours late. We had a towncar picking them up and thank goodness the company was very fleixable, cause that towncar had to come back to the station after the time we actually had them booked for. We just had dinner reservations that night at our Disney resort, so that was no problem for Disney to cancel, but I would have been freaking out if we were suppose to go on the Disney cruise instead. Amtrak didn't do anything, but apologized and said the train was late leaving from California. I would not trust getting to the port on time with them even if Amtrak is scheduled to arrive early. The only thing you could do to possiably safe guard yourself if you need to take the train, is to come in a day early and then you'll have to get a hotel and that will be an added expense.
Personally, I would fly in instead if your going to Port Canveral.

I would not do it unless you were arriving a day or two before your cruise. I enjoy Amtrak, but you can expect huge delays (as in hours) since they are the norm and not the exception.

lizjon9197 said:
I am thinking of taking AMTRAK from Richmond VA to Orlando for my next cruise. The train will arrive at the train station at about 10AM. I estimate it will take at least one hour of driving to get to the port. The on-time performace of AMTRAK on this route is not very good, only 18% for Feb, 2006. Am I taking too big of a risk? Thanks!

My mom often takes Amtrak from Northern Virginia to our home in North Carolina. It has never, ever been on time, not even once, in our experience.

I'd never take Amtrak anywhere I need to be at a certain time (with the exception of the DC to NYC route, they actually seem to care about that one).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter