American Tourister 21” Star Wars Spinners Carry on Luggage

DisneyJColeMom

Mouseketeer
Im not sure where to post this lol, but I figured I would try here cuz everyone seems so helpful! Ive been hunting the internet for answers but not finding reassurance lol. Im flying to Disney & using both American Airlines & United. I have from Amazon, 2 carry-on bags from American Tourister, they are a 21” hardside spinner of R2D2 @ a 20” hardside spinner of BB-8. The BB-8 measurements seem ok, but the R2D2 seems a smidge over, about an inch. Carry on size is 22 x 14 x 9 and R2D2 measurements say 21 x 14.75 x 9.5. Has anyone used these American Tourister bags as carryons on AA & United? Any issues? Im assuming American Tourister has other Disney hardside designs as well that measure the same, anyone use those? Thanks for any help!! I was trying to make sure they fit in the sizers for those airlines & of course the overhead bins!

Per American Tourister,

If the bag is overstuffed, it may not be accepted by the airlines.
• Weight: 6.88 lbs.
Body Dimensions: 21.0" x 14.75" x 9.0"
Overall Dimensions: 21.5" x 15.0" x 9.0
"

If the bag is overstuffed, it may not be accepted by the airlines.
• Weight: 6.88 lbs.
Body Dimensions: 21.0" x 14.75" x 9.0"
Overall Dimensions: 22.0" x 15.0" x 9.0"

Remember that the wheels sometimes are not included in dimensions.

AA: Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)

UA: The maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 centimeters x 35 centimeters x 56 centimeters). This includes handles and wheels.

Effective January 23, 2020, United Airlines will begin removing the bag sizers from all gate areas.
  • The airline will continue to enforce carry-on sizes at check-in and at the security checkpoint
  • At the gate, gate agents will be told to exercise their best judgment in deciding whether a carry-on is the right size or not
I do not have any personal experience, though, with either UA or AA.

Thank you so much for doing this!! I am definitely looking for personal experiences as well, because my BB-8 luggage measurements are a little different then the ones listed there. Im looking for the difference between real life experience , and whats on paper.

In case anyone else comes across this looking for the same answer, I found what I was looking for! A helpful blog mom posted a pic of the R2D2 luggage in an American Airlines sizer at the airport AND in the overhead bin and it looks good to me! Woohoo!

Glad to hear, my boys just got new Star Wars luggage at Christmas and we haven’t got to use them yet.....suppose to be at Star Wars 10 K this coming weekend flying American Airlines. My Hubbie has the Darth Vader one and has taken it on Southwest as a carryon many times.

Are you flying on any of the very small regional jets? Some of them are small enough your normal sized carryon won't fit in the overhead. If you run into that, they will have you gate check your bag.

I always have to check plane type flying out of my small regional airport. If I know I will be on a small jet I make sure anything I want for the flight is in a tote bag that will go under the seat. You don't want your Nook in a bag that gets gate checked. Nor your meds.

Are you flying on any of the very small regional jets? Some of them are small enough your normal sized carryon won't fit in the overhead. If you run into that, they will have you gate check your bag.
I am a total flying novice- so forgive my ignorance, what’s considered a small jet? I need to look into this as I’m flying into and out of a smaller (compared to others) airport and have no idea what to look for! Thanks!

I am a total flying novice- so forgive my ignorance, what’s considered a small jet? I need to look into this as I’m flying into and out of a smaller (compared to others) airport and have no idea what to look for! Thanks!
Look at the plane type. Anything that has RJ in it no full size carryons will fit. They all have to be gate checked and picked up at the jetway at your destination. I have a 22" Samsonite that i use as a carryon, it is over the limits published by the airlines but I've never had any airline question me about it and it has fit in the overhead bin of every mainline aircraft I've ever been on.

Look at the plane type. Anything that has RJ in it no full size carryons will fit. They all have to be gate checked and picked up at the jetway at your destination. I have a 22" Samsonite that i use as a carryon, it is over the limits published by the airlines but I've never had any airline question me about it and it has fit in the overhead bin of every mainline aircraft I've ever been on.
Picking up at the jetway has been my experience also, but there are some who have said their bags got a luggage tag and they picked them up at baggage claim. I think it's a misunderstanding somewhere, but cant prove it.

That luggage sounds just fine. You'd be surprised how large the bags are that people carry on with them.

Just some random observations bc we returned from our recent trip. Im sure experiences vary all over the place, but we flew Spirit & were only supposed to be able to bring our free personal item each, plus I paid for us each to bring a carry-on. I had a Vera Bradley backpack, once I filled it, it looked so big it was practically the size of my carry-on. This had me worried. Then, we bought all these souvenirs at Disney & had nowhere to put them, including a Droid from Droid Depot & a lightsaber from Savi’s workshop. I ended up shipping from my resort for around $30, all of our bulky items including the lightsaber and a Star Wars pilot helmet, etc. The rest of the souvenirs, like bubble wands & popcorn bucket, stuffed monkey from Animal Kingdom, I had all in a huge Disney regular shopping bag with the castle on it from the parks. The thing was BIG and filled. Plus, I couldn’t find my receipt for the droid, so I couldn’t ship it from my resort and we had to bring that on the plane too. In my opinion, we looked loaded with stuff!! But no one said anything to us, and I managed to bring all that on the plane with us & kind of just shoved it under our feet. Was extremely upset to find, that when our lightsaber arrived from being shipped by our resort, it was bent & broken!!! I called Disney merchandise right away, and supposedly they are replacing it for us but yet to receive that email confirming. Now i wish i just brought it on the plane, I think we would have got it on!!

Picking up at the jetway has been my experience also, but there are some who have said their bags got a luggage tag and they picked them up at baggage claim. I think it's a misunderstanding somewhere, but cant prove it.
IME, those that are given tags and checked through are usually on mainline aircraft where they run out of bin space. It may also be company dependent.

But no one said anything to us, and I managed to bring all that on the plane with us & kind of just shoved it under our feet.
Did you each have a “personal bag” in addition to your carry on bags and the shopping bag? We’re coming home with 2 droids that I’d prefer to ship but we need them 2 days from the time we get home and I’m worried about them arriving. Thinking about all the souvenirs and stuff and getting them home is giving me a headache! Thought about the shopping bag and paying for it as a carryon on the way back.

Did you each have a “personal bag” in addition to your carry on bags and the shopping bag? We’re coming home with 2 droids that I’d prefer to ship but we need them 2 days from the time we get home and I’m worried about them arriving. Thinking about all the souvenirs and stuff and getting them home is giving me a headache! Thought about the shopping bag and paying for it as a carryon on the way back.
There were of 3 of us and we each carried a regular backpack as our free “personal item”, and we each had a carry-on bag that I paid extra for bc Spirit charges for carry-ons outside of the personal items.
On the way home, I had my son carry his droid in the backpack we bought for it at Droid Depot. So my son at that point had 2 personal items. I was also carrying a giant Disney parks bag of souvenirs. And neck pillows. On top of what we already brought with us lol. No one stopped us, noticed, or said anything. Now that doesnt mean someone else might not have the same luck! But I didnt pay for anything other then the 3 original carryons.

I regret shipping my Savis lightsaber, but i did just get confirmation they are sending me a replacement blade within 2 weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter