American Girl Mystery Party Game?

Minnie M6

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had any experience with this game? I picked up the Molly version for $7 on the AG site based on a tip on this board :goodvibes
I had started a thread a few weeks ago about B-day party ideas and got some great ideas for the party. DD who is turning 8 in October decided on an American Girl party. It will be a slumber party and I found lots of craft stuff on clearance at Michael's- they're going to design bracelets for themselves and decorate hats and tote bags for the dolls. I am getting all 3 AG movies for them to watch throughout the evening/ night.

So here's my question: DD is so excited to play the mystery game with her friends. We read through the script and I just can't envision how it will go with a group of 6-7 girls ages 7-10. Is it the kind of thing that sounds fun in theory but is awkward or hokey?

The invites ask the girls to come in costume and gives some suggestions, but I thought we would have some things here in case anyone doesn't have something to bring or forgets. So we're asking them to bring a costume, dolls, and a sleeping bag. Is this asking too much? I usually do the kids' parties out of the house and we have never had a slumber party here- I'm probably just over thinking it because I'm nervous and want it to go well.

Any experience with the game, or other thoughts/ suggestions?

My daughter is turning 8 this month and having the SAME party as your daughter! LOL. I was looking at the Samantha Mystery Party kit and it looks like it won't hold the interest of all my daughter's friends (she's having 6 friends and a couple are a little high maintenance). I was thinking that they could get their dolls all dressed up - not themselves - and have the dolls act it all out. Some are better readers than others and some are just into the whole 'I like to dress up Felicity in Mia's clothes' rather than the historical aspect of it all! So I figured if it is a starting point for a fun play experience, good for them!

FWIW - my niece did the mystery party last year and they were totally into it (9 year olds). So I guess its just the group and their interest level to that sort of thing. If your daughter is into it and wants to give it a go - she IS the birthday girl! :)

DD was invited to a Samantha party a couple years ago and LOVED it. When you send out the invitation, each girl is assigned a character, and they dressed accordingly. DD was Nellie. :)

Thanks to both of you- it is great to hear that groups of girls have enjoyed this game! DD was so excited looking at the invites and the script and choosing which friend would play which girl.
My mom is equally or more into AG dolls than my daughter LOL and informed me that she is knitting shawls for each girl's doll :rotfl:

We did it for for DD's 8th birthday. We did the Samantha one and the girls loved it. We did not tell the girls before the party.

We did the Samantha game last year and it was a huge hit. We didn't send out the invitations that came with the game because I didn't open it ahead of time and didn't realize there were invitations. We didn't do costumes either. When the girls arrived, we just had them pick out of a hat to see which character they would be. I figured it was the fairest way to do it so no one's feeling got hurt. We didn't have enough girls, so DH, one of the other moms, and I took the less interesting parts. They had so much fun that sometimes DD and her friends will play it again during playdates.

It sounds like you've got a very fun party planned. :cool1:

We also did the Samantha Mystery party game and the girls loved it. This was a small group of 9yo girls. I played Aunt Cornelia and the maid. The girls each had a character and everyone enjoyed the story. We didn't dress up. If your daughter hasn't read the script-don't let her. We did it after dinner-before crafts.

We just did the Samantha game at DD's 8th birthday party last Sat. The 8 girls (ages 7, 8, and 9) loved it. Interestingly, they called it a play, rather than a game. We had costumes available to dress up when they arrived. The game itself took about 40 minutes and kept everyone's attention, even the more "spirited" girls. I will warn you that, when I looked at the games, I think that Samantha was the only one that had all girl parts, so I bet in the Molly game some girls will have to play boy roles. Good luck with the party!

Wow, it sounds like the Samantha game is very popular! We (okay, I) chose Molly because DD has an October Birthday and the plot is about missing Halloween candy. There is one boy part and DS 9 has agreed to play that role- this should be interesting ;)

On a budget related note, I was able to order the AG movies- all 3 in one disc- from Target for $25.99 (although when I put it in my shopping cart 2 days ago it was $23.99 :confused3 ) Still a good deal.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter