American Girl - Bitty Babies

Maddle

DIS Veteran
This past week I purchased two Bitty Babies for my granddaughters. Both dolls had the string that keeps the head on the body hanging off of the neck line (like a noose, according to my son.) ...and if the knot in the string ever gets loose, the head will fall off, although it is pretty tight right now. Still, you dress the doll, and there is this string hanging around out of the clothes.

Is this normal? It seems like a pretty shoddy design for such an expensive toy. Should I be taking these dolls back to the AG Store? or is this the way all the dolls are made?

Thanks -
Maddle

This is how they all are, I believe but maybe wrong if you cut it the value goes down. As a side my DD3 has had her bitty baby since her first birthday and though she is very destructive with toys furniture etc. He rbaby is still in great shape string hanging and all (minus some higlighter on the body sis I say say destructive?)

Yes it is the way the dolls are designed because they offer services where they will replace the head for much cheaper than replacing the entire doll. You are supposed the tuck the strings into the clothes or If they really bother you you can tape them to the dolls back. My sister and I have owned at least 15 of these dolls including the bitty babies and only once has a head come off due to extremely rough play.

We have 15 year old Bitty Babies and they're still perfect, with the head intact. You tuck the string in the clothes(or if your my kid drag the doll around by it).

Thank you. I feel much better knowing that is the norm. It seems to bother me a lot more than it bugs the girls.

We won't cut them, but maybe we will tape them back.

The girls (and their Mom) do love them.

You could also try tucking them into the body of the doll. If you use a poky thing like a chopstick, you can tuck the strings in where the knot is (force the string ends towards the inside of the doll. If it ever needs repair, they can be fished back out.

I see everyone hs answered your question. Just also wanted to let you know, that although these dolls are expensive, the company stands behind them. My daughter's first doll was Kit, we got it for her when she was almost 4. She took great care of that doll. However 3 years later the eyeball of the doll wouldn't open. We went into the city for her birthday to AG Place and we took the doll to the doll hospital. I explained what happened to the lady and she told me not to worry about it, and they will fix and ship the doll back to my house free of charge. And they did and the doll looked great!

I grew up with American Girl and can't wait to see my little girls play with my dolls as they grow up. Despite their age, all of the dolls are still in great condition! I can't quite say that about a lot of their outfits, but I guess I should be happy that they lasted longer than some kids clothes do!

Our Bitty Baby is about 17 now...still looks great and our D took that doll everywhere. The strings were as described. I tacked them in to the dolls back. It bothered me, didn't bother D at all.

I had no idea what the string was for and cut it much shorter on my daughters doll. It drove me crazy! Now I know. :)

Hi- I am so excited to find a forum about American Girl Bitty Babies! I buy and sell alot of Bitty Babies, Corolle and My Twinn dolls on Ebay. I consider myself somewhat of an expert. I recently re attached a broken arm on a my Twinn doll- paid 7 and she sold for $51! I have also repaired limbs on American Girl dolls. MY QUESTION: I recently bought a Pleasant Co. Bitty doll with a side neck string- vintage doll with Pleasant Co stamped on neck. Unable to find any info about dolls with side neck strings. Anybody know about this?

Hi- I am so excited to find a forum about American Girl Bitty Babies! I buy and sell alot of Bitty Babies, Corolle and My Twinn dolls on Ebay. I consider myself somewhat of an expert. I recently re attached a broken arm on a my Twinn doll- paid 7 and she sold for $51! I have also repaired limbs on American Girl dolls. MY QUESTION: I recently bought a Pleasant Co. Bitty doll with a side neck string- vintage doll with Pleasant Co stamped on neck. Unable to find any info about dolls with side neck strings. Anybody know about this?
This is a 8 year old zombie thread

Our daughter has her mother’s old bitty babies (testament to the build quality.) She also has an American girl doll from Santa as of a month ago.

As a dude, I will never understand the obsession and price points of these darn things, but I’m told this is all normal.

I’m still waiting for someone to explain why it’s such a popular brand, but it seems like it’s one of those things that are popular because they are popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter