American Airlines to eliminate "More room through Coach" on some of it's fleet..

sgtdisney

DIS Veteran
Just read this today. With the restructuring of American Airlines, the management intends on removing it's more room through coach seating on all of it's 757s and A300s by the beginning of next year. They plan on using these planes and these seating configurations on seats in leisure and vacation markets (read Florida, and in particular Orlando)

Personally I have paid slightly more to fly American the last couple of trips BECAUSE they had more room, so if they do this I will again only shop by price. I suppose they have to do something to become profitable again but Southwest is profitable with more room in their seats so..

http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vi...entRepository&itemDescriptor=PromotionContent

American will also be reintroducing standard seating to 23 percent of its fleet so that it can offer competitive fares across more seats in leisure and vacation markets. The new pitch will ultimately be found on all of the carrier's 140 Boeing 757 and 34 Airbus A300 aircraft.

"We are still retaining our popular More Room Throughout Coach product on more than 75 percent of our fleet, which translates into approximately 80 percent of our daily departures," Arpey said. "I also want to be clear that we are not creating an airline-within-an-airline because we don't believe a successful formula for that concept yet exists. We are simply returning to standard seating in those markets where customers tell us price - and seat availability at low prices - is predominantly how they choose a carrier."

The fleet reconfiguration will begin this fall, with A300s to be finished in time for winter holiday travel to the Caribbean in December. The Boeing 757s, which fly a variety of markets in the U.S., will be finished in mid-February 2004. The work will be done at the carrier's Tulsa maintenance base.

Bummer. I had been booking us on American rather than United the last couple of years just because of the extra room.

Originally posted by BCV23
Bummer. I had been booking us on American rather than United the last couple of years just because of the extra room.

Same here, I used to use ATA a lot too, but decided that with the little extra room and the fact that O'Hare is closer to me than Midway I decided to (many times) pay just a little more and use American. Probably won't anymore if they are making the seat pitch the same. The service is already the same.

We flew United economy plus to New Zealand. You had an extra 5 inches. While walking to the restroom I noticed the regular economy seats. There was actually less leg room then on a domestic flight.

I can't stand to fly on a 737 because of the lack of leg room. Every airline seems to really pack in the people on the 737.

The truth is that most folks are still buying by price. I read over and over on these boards about looking for the incredibly low fares. Well the only way to make money at $100 fares is to pack'em in! We all talk a good game about wanting great service, but we vote with our pocketbooks.

Originally posted by CarolA
The truth is that most folks are still buying by price. I read over and over on these boards about looking for the incredibly low fares. Well the only way to make money at $100 fares is to pack'em in! We all talk a good game about wanting great service, but we vote with our pocketbooks.

You are very right about this. I am willing to pay a little more (and have) for American tickets because of the seating that they offered. But, I guess I am in the minority. When American eliminates this one thing that differentiates them, I guess I will be back to shopping by price only again.. Oh well, it was great while it lasted. ;)

If you shop by leg room and service and Midwest Express is an option -- go for it! They are GREAT! If ME costs just a little more, we will fly them.

Originally posted by Luv2Roam
If you shop by leg room and service and Midwest Express is an option -- go for it! They are GREAT! If ME costs just a little more, we will fly them.

I would love to try Midwest Express. I have heard many good things about them. However they don't fly out of Chicago, and for me to go to Milwaukee which is the closest place they fly out of it takes over 2 hours by car on a good traffic day.. Someday I will try them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter