Amazon Gift Card Theft.....Could Use Advice UPDATE PAGE 4

Luv2Camp

DIS Veteran
I have a strange situation and could use some advice. I ordered a $100 Amazon gift card through the mail that I was going to give to my SIL for his birthday. I watched the tracking, and it wasn't delivered to my mailbox even though it showed "delivered" on my Amazon account. I contacted the post office, and they admitted it was delivered to the wrong address. This was last Saturday. They left a note in the mailbox for the resident to contact them immediately. As of yesterday (Wednesday), they haven't contacted the post office. I contacted Amazon yesterday, and the gift card was used. The post office is stopping their mail immediately until they come in and speak to them. Per Amazon, they can't return my money since the gift card was used (totally understandable since it wasn't their fault). I'm not sure where to turn on this. I assume my next step is to press charges on this person? We live in a very small rural community, so this is something I'd really rather not do, but I'm sick I'm out $100, and I'm even more sick someone that lives a half a mile from me would do this. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

That's awful. I can't believe someone would do that! No advice, but next time do the e-card where you email the gc to the person. Not as fun as giving someone the actual card, but safer. I am surprised they can't do something since they know it was basically stolen. Could you file a dispute with your credit card company that you paid for the gc with?

That's awful. I can't believe someone would do that! No advice, but next time do the e-card where you email the gc to the person. Not as fun as giving someone the actual card, but safer. I am surprised they can't do something since they know it was basically stolen. Could you file a dispute with your credit card company that you paid for the gc with?

I'm contacting Chase this morning to see if there's anything they can do to help me out. I'm definitely never buying gift cards through the mail again.....Lesson learned!

I have a strange situation and could use some advice. I ordered a $100 Amazon gift card through the mail that I was going to give to my SIL for his birthday. I watched the tracking, and it wasn't delivered to my mailbox even though it showed "delivered" on my Amazon account. I contacted the post office, and they admitted it was delivered to the wrong address. This was last Saturday. They left a note in the mailbox for the resident to contact them immediately. As of yesterday (Wednesday), they haven't contacted the post office. I contacted Amazon yesterday, and the gift card was used. The post office is stopping their mail immediately until they come in and speak to them. Per Amazon, they can't return my money since the gift card was used (totally understandable since it wasn't their fault). I'm not sure where to turn on this. I assume my next step is to press charges on this person? We live in a very small rural community, so this is something I'd really rather not do, but I'm sick I'm out $100, and I'm even more sick someone that lives a half a mile from me would do this. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

File a dispute with your credit card company. You never received goods that you purchased.

Here's where I'm at now: I spoke with Amazon again, and they looked to see who used the card and where the items were delivered. They cannot give me that information, but they did "flag" their account that they fraudulently used a gift card. I'm not sure what that'll do, but at least it's something.

Chase Bank - There's no buyer protection on gift cards.

USPS - They want me to file a police report. They have stopped the mail at the address the card was delivered until they come in and speak to them. After that, there's nothing else I can do except file a claim with them. The post office person isn't sure if there's coverage for gift cards. I'm really having second thoughts on ever purchasing a gift card again.

It looks like my only option now is filing a police report. I live in a very rural community, so we're a little uneasy about this. But, maybe I should be more uneasy about NOT reporting a theft. So, that's my question....Should I file a police report?

I had this happen with a giftcard I purchased from Amazon. In the event it does happen again, once the tracking says delivered and it's not in your mailbox, immediately contact Amazon before contacting anyone else. This is what I did and they were able to flag that giftcard and disable it and send me a replacement.

I had this happen with a giftcard I purchased from Amazon. In the event it does happen again, once the tracking says delivered and it's not in your mailbox, immediately contact Amazon before contacting anyone else. This is what I did and they were able to flag that giftcard and disable it and send me a replacement.

That's EXACTLY what I should have done! Ugh.........

I think I would file a police report. This situation really irritates me so I can only imagine how you feel. You know who did it since the purchase is on record with Amazon, and it seems the PO knows exactly who did it too. You have an open and shut case. Yes, file a repot. It's so wrong to let them get away with it. Grrrrrrrrr.

I think I would file a police report. This situation really irritates me so I can only imagine how you feel. You know who did it since the purchase is on record with Amazon, and it seems the PO knows exactly who did it too. You have an open and shut case. Yes, file a repot. It's so wrong to let them get away with it. Grrrrrrrrr.

I think I'm going to have to file a report. I'm getting more upset by the minute.

If you are hesitant about filing a police report because you live in a small town, maybe tell the person that if they give you back the $100 you will not press charges. If they refuse then file the report. Personally I would just file the police report, the thief brought this upon themselves and have created a very upsetting situation for you to now deal with.

ETA: Someone stole $300 in Disney gift cards from my mailbox (I'm assuming because Fedex did an investigation and swore they delivered to the right address). I was able to get the money back but I will no longer get gift cards mailed to my home. It's very frustrating to have to deal with these kinds of situations.

OK, police report is filed. They have already spoken to the post office and obtained the GPS information from the delivery. They have to subpoena the records from Amazon, so that's next. I probably won't get my $100 back, but I feel better knowing they're looking into it.

You may not get your money back (but I hope you do!) but maybe this person will think twice before doing it again. The USPS is involved with halting their mail, a police report made (so it's on record) and it's being investigated, etc. I'm betting most people just think nothing will really be done about it and they can get away with it. So sorry it happened to you :(

I thought that opening someone else's mail, which this person did, was a federal offense.

From google "It's a federal offense to open mail that doesn't belong to you. If you do it intentionally, you could be looking at a $250,000 fine and up to five years in a federal prison."

I thought that opening someone else's mail, which this person did, was a federal offense.

From google "It's a federal offense to open mail that doesn't belong to you. If you do it intentionally, you could be looking at a $250,000 fine and up to five years in a federal prison."

Whoa..........No wonder the sheriff is all over this. All this over an Amazon gift card. This is nuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!