Am i the only one who feels this way

mafpi

Mouseketeer
I just don't care about scrapers. I've read here that it seems that scrapers are an accepted part of pin trading. Accepted, not that it is ok, but accepted that people just know that that is now a part of pin trading. So I decided that I am no longer going to worry about it. I do not have the time to properly educate my self or to examine each and every pin in my collection or that I trade for. So I will look for the best deal on pins wether or be from a disney store or ebay and let what happens happens. All I know that my kids love pin trading and is an extra enjoyment for them when we go. That is all i will convern myself with. And I will not let scrappers take that away.

My view is that...I literally only buy pins I like or want since they are rare and will continue to raise in value. I never trade. I have a pin set that together will sell for 150 dollars. That's why I do care for scrappers..I see your point though if you trade.

I will not buy pins that I suspect to be scrapper, I will not support illegal sales and that's what these are. It's just like buying a fake purse (not that I'm into purses lol) or fake watch, won't do it. I also will not trade for a pin if I suspect it is a scrapper, unless it is an amazing pin and there's no other way I'll get it. lol I don't stress over it but if I can avoid scrappers I absolutely positively do.

The way I see it is that my son is 10 and could care less about value or if it is a scrapper. This is a fun addition to the activities in the parks and we love doing it as a family. I don't ever expect to sell the collection for a profit (if we decide to sell at all).
As stated before, they are frowned upon, but by the time I get my hands on a scrapper, it's been long removed from the person who originally acquired it.
My son and I also collect Hot Wheels together. If we see something we like, we buy it. Whether it be straight from Mattel or somebody has customized it.
If you are doing the pin collecting as a future investment, by all means collect 100% real. But for my family, it's the fun of finding a new Stitch pin we don't have and not giving any thought to it being real or fake.

Scott

honestly, between all the trips to wdw that we have made and all the pins we have traded/bought, i am sure we must have scrappers.. that being said, my dd loves her pins, and displays them on boards in her room -- she has some that i know are 100% legit as we bought them on the cruise or in wdw. but we have LOTS that we have traded for with CM's. she loves them all. I wouldn't have the heart to have her look and find a pin she has been looking for on a CM's lanyard,and then have her not trade for it b/c it may not be real.. We dont' collect for future college funds.. lol.. we collect for the fun of finding cute pins that we like. I know if there is a set i really want, i will buy them at the parks or online thru the disney site. But, i dont' have the time to examine each pin off a lanyard that i want to make sure it's legit. To me, it would take the fun out of it. That all being said, i would also not purposely buy scrappers to trade.. i am sure i have traded them in the past unknowingly, but i would not do it on purpose.

I just don't care about scrapers. I've read here that it seems that scrapers are an accepted part of pin trading. Accepted, not that it is ok, but accepted that people just know that that is now a part of pin trading. So I decided that I am no longer going to worry about it. I do not have the time to properly educate my self or to examine each and every pin in my collection or that I trade for. So I will look for the best deal on pins wether or be from a disney store or ebay and let what happens happens. All I know that my kids love pin trading and is an extra enjoyment for them when we go. That is all i will convern myself with. And I will not let scrappers take that away.

I think scrappers is a term elitist :snooty: pin traders came up with to disparage those of us who purchase pins to trade. I don't use the term, nor to acknowledge that there is something wrong with the pins I have purchased on ebay.

Mike

It is not a term elitist pin traders came up with... it is a term DISNEY came up with and has MUCH information about on their OFFICIAL site. They are illegal and counterfeit, period. Yes, many of us have gotten them unknowingly, and many have gotten them because they can't get the legit and really want the pin. But knowingly supporting and enabling crooks to sell counterfeit items is wrong and encouraging others to do the same is just as bad. If you want it for your personal collection fine, it's your prerogative. But many people don't appreciate spending $15 for a pin to trade it for a piece of garbage that someone in China illegally sent into the market for pennies on the dollar.

I agree witha lot of your points. But people fail to see the double standard many people have on this board. There is a full section dealing with counterfeit items on this board. Nothing on the creative board section of this forum is authentic disney merchandise. No one has permission from disney to create and distribute there copyrighted logos wether for free or not. why buy an autograph book from Disneyland when I can go request a personalized book from disboards that my child would love. That is taking money away from disney. So i say why buy a pin for ten dollars when i can get one pn ebay for one dollar and trade it for a pin that cost a dollar also that my child would love. Now I love there work on the creative design and used them many times. You can't apply standards to one thing then disregard for another just to fit your needs.

I agree witha lot of your points. But people fail to see the double standard many people have on this board. There is a full section dealing with counterfeit items on this board. Nothing on the creative board section of this forum is authentic disney merchandise. No one has permission from disney to create and distribute there copyrighted logos wether for free or not. why buy an autograph book from Disneyland when I can go request a personalized book from disboards that my child would love. That is taking money away from disney. So i say why buy a pin for ten dollars when i can get one pn ebay for one dollar and trade it for a pin that cost a dollar also that my child would love. Now I love there work on the creative design and used them many times. You can't apply standards to one thing then disregard for another just to fit your needs.

They aren't selling their designs for profit, that's the biggest difference right there. And if they are they aren't supposed to be as it's against the terms of use for this board.

I've never even used the creative board. I've never looked at it unless that is where the fish extender info is, in which case, I didn't buy anything from it. I've never intentionally aided anyone in infringing on Disney copyrights, so I am not someone who lives by this double standard. The scrappers I own were purchased long before I knew what a scrapper was. I've been collecting for 11 years. I educated myself long ago. And as someone who once had the hobby of running a creative website I am fully aware of the laws regarding intellectual property and under what uses you can legally use copyrighted images.

All my Disney crafts are with official Disney merchandise bought and paid for with my hard earned money. If other people are violating that policy or the rules of this board, then they need to be dealt with by the people in charge, but I don't appreciate being lumped into the masses for having an opinion about something. You are entitled to yours, as I am mine. We will just have to agree to disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter