Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

I feel like even the minor change of simply adding Star Wars theme music in the background would make SWGE much much better. How do you have a Star Wars land without John Williams score somewhere in the background.

I feel like even the minor change of simply adding Star Wars theme music in the background would make SWGE much much better. How do you have a Star Wars land without John Williams score somewhere in the background.
Actually I think this is the only thing missing, and obviously it won't go with what they are doing, a living, breathing real outpost, but maybe they can say it's their radio.

Last edited:

but the whole point of Galaxys Edge is that you are transported to a different PLANET not just a generic themepark area. When I visit different countries, for example Lisbon , Portugal, you dont hear music playing as you walk around Rua Augusta , you hear people speaking Portugese, you hear the sounds of cars and buses. THATS what Galaxys Edge is all about, you are in a different planet, you are part of their world, just like when you visit a different country. And part of experiencing a different country is the unfamiliar, the new language, the new customs, a different way of doing things. the strange food.

You know what , all these objections and negative views about Galaxys Edge remind me of this article https://www.wanderlust.co.uk/content/astonishing-holiday-complaints/

21 Astonishing Holiday Complaints
These complaints are all taken from a survey from Thomas Cook and ABTA, revealing 20 of the most ridiculous complaints holidaymakers made to their travel agent.

1. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."
2. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels."
3. "The beach was too sandy."
4. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food at all."
5. A tourist at a top African Game Lodge over looking a water hole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".
6. A tourist at a top African Game Lodge over looking a water hole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel "inadequate".
7. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time - this should be banned."
8. A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she'd been locked in by staff. When in fact, she had mistaken the "do not disturb" sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.
9. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white."
10. A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.
11. "We bought 'Ray-Ban' sunglasses for five Euros from a street trader, only to find out they were fake."
12. "Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined, as my husband spent all day looking at other women."
13. "No-one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled."
14. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It only took the Americans three hours to get home."
15. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends' three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller."
16. "I was bitten by a mosquito. No one said they could bite."
17. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the accommodation'. We're trainee hairdressers - will we be OK staying there?"
18. "There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners now live abroad."
19. "My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."
20. "We had to queue outside with no air conditioning."
21. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."

You can't compare the lands of Harry Potter to those of Star Wars. It's nearly impossible to recreate an ice planet, an empty forest, deserts, a swamp, a cloud city, a planet that is a giant city, giant spaceships, space itself. They gave us a cantina, ships from the series, the MF, a star destroyer and AT-AT on RotR, stormtroopers, chewie, Rey, Kylo. Harry Potter is earth based, and a completely different and easier task to recreate familiar locations. Maybe SWGE isn't perfect but as I read in an earlier post someone expected the unrealistic notion of real droids and spaceships flying overhead because they were in concept art is setting up an expectation that could never be reached.

You can't compare the lands of Harry Potter to those of Star Wars. It's nearly impossible to recreate an ice planet, an empty forest, deserts, a swamp, a cloud city, a planet that is a giant city, giant spaceships, space itself. They gave us a cantina, ships from the series, the MF, a star destroyer and AT-AT on RotR, stormtroopers, chewie, Rey, Kylo. Harry Potter is earth based, and a completely different and easier task to recreate familiar locations. Maybe SWGE isn't perfect but as I read in an earlier post someone expected the unrealistic notion of real droids and spaceships flying overhead because they were in concept art is setting up an expectation that could never be reached.
The droids were definitely expected to be in place, to the point that they've done testing in the parks. My hunch is that they'll eventually put them in GE but we'll see.

Disneyland has been actively working on a drone program for awhile now. There were supposed to be drone ships flying around SWGE.

All I am allowed to say on the matter is, we *MAY* finally see the fruits of this drone program at DCA, in the Avengers Campus.

Disneyland has been actively working on a drone program for awhile now. There were supposed to be drone ships flying around SWGE.

All I am allowed to say on the matter is, we *MAY* finally see the fruits of this drone program at DCA, in the Avengers Campus.
The drones started here during the holiday season for the drone show at Disney springs a couple of years ago. Im sure we'll eventually see it put to good use

The drones started here during the holiday season for the drone show at Disney springs a couple of years ago. Im sure we'll eventually see it put to good use

Actually, the first display was the flying dragon during the New Fantasyland Media event several years ago.

I'm not sure about the repeat factor. How many guests need a second saber? A second droid? Olga's is fun. Not sure how many trips I'm willing to pay $$$ for premixed sugary drinks. How many $$$ souvenir mugs do I want to own?
Shops are filled with $ collectibles and display items. After first, maybe second trip, I'll be finished buying.

As long as Disney can fill SWGE with first time visitors it should do great. Otherwise Savis may wind up being an easy experience to book same day.

That's the biggest concern for me. Disney have priced out the majority of their customers to return more than once (or even at all) to 40% (60% if you count the Cantina) of their attractions in the land.

Say what you will about Wizarding World, but at $50 a wand with over 50 to choose from at least offers some longevity. Plus you can witness the wand experience for free with purchase not mandatory.

Maybe if Savi's offered a viewing gallery, that might have helped...

Last edited:
it's obvious that a lot of Disney fans don't like the idea behind Galaxy's Edge for various reasons. Some just don't like the recent trilogy and prefer it wasn't set during this time, some want to see classic characters like Luke, Han and Boba Fett and they don't care about Oga or Hondo because they didn't read the comics or books or watch the animated series (and they understandably may feel like it's cheating that the land uses characters from those instead of the movies), some don't like the "you are on a space outpost from the Star Wars Universe" idea and would prefer a homage to the films themselves, and some are just "Harry Potter is better." I'm going to wait until I actually go there to decide.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are forgetting the Play Disney app. That IS your wand. You can turn on on the Datapad feature and do things like translate and even "hack" certain areas.

So I would argue there is plenty to do and immerse yourself even if you're walking around the land.

I would be curious to know the age range of the people who like it vs. the people who don't. I wonder if the whole "pretend you're there in the story" role playing aspect is something that appeals to younger people in general, or if it's a subset of the entire park going population...

I would be curious to know the age range of the people who like it vs. the people who don't. I wonder if the whole "pretend you're there in the story" role playing aspect is something that appeals to younger people in general, or if it's a subset of the entire park going population...

And this is where I will admit Disney went wrong and overestimated how many Star Wars fans wanted to feel like they were telling their own story instead of witnessing another's up close.

Apparently many fans don't care that much about canon/continuity if it means getting meet the OT characters. Which is what I find really ironic about this whole complaint. By wanting to be true to canon they've upset the fans who apparently don't care enough about it 🤣.

Last edited:
Its not fair to say guests don't like SWGE. WDW hasn't even opened yet. DL blocked out the APs used by locals. I suspect many people are waiting for RoR. Disney may have overestimated the number of guests willing to pay for 2 visits.

edited to add I missed a not. It appears to me most of the people with negative opinions haven't even seen SWGE.

Last edited:
Its fair to say guests don't like SWGE. WDW hasn't even opened yet. DL blocked out the APs used by locals. I suspect many people are waiting for RoR. Disney may have overestimated the number of guests willing to pay for 2 visits.

I myself am really just talking about on here and the people who can't figure out "who this is for".

I think a lot of people are forgetting the Play Disney app. That IS your wand. You can turn on on the Datapad feature and do things like translate and even "hack" certain areas.

So I would argue there is plenty to do and immerse yourself even if you're walking around the land.
That app drains your battery....

Its fair to say guests don't like SWGE. WDW hasn't even opened yet. DL blocked out the APs used by locals. I suspect many people are waiting for RoR. Disney may have overestimated the number of guests willing to pay for 2 visits.
It isn't cheap. Many people are waiting...

Did I completely miss something with ROR? I didn't exactly understand why people came out so hyped from D23. I am excited to see the Galaxy Edge next week but confused what was so amazing about the video?

All I saw was a slow moving vehicle (seating arrangement of a water dark ride) that moves through a fairly open fight scene. Is it simply because you might see the walkers? I am expecting way more to be revealed because right not it doesn't look "ground breaking".

That's the biggest concern for me. Disney have priced out the majority of their customers to return more than once (or even at all) to 40% (60% if you count the Cantina) of their attractions in the land.

Say what you will about Wizarding World, but at $50 a wand with over 50 to choose from at least offers some longevity. Plus you can witness the wand experience for free with purchase not mandatory.

Maybe if Savi's offered a viewing gallery, that might have helped...

I understand, depending on crowds, CM will let an extra young child accompany you. I bet Universal is kicking themselves for not doing the same thing with their wand show.
I'm not just talking about price. I can budget an extra $100 for a droid, skip a TS meal. I don't need more then one droid at home. We could argue if 1 is 1 more then I need.

Did I completely miss something with ROR? I didn't exactly understand why people came out so hyped from D23. I am excited to see the Galaxy Edge next week but confused what was so amazing about the video?

All I saw was a slow moving vehicle (seating arrangement of a water dark ride) that moves through a fairly open fight scene. Is it simply because you might see the walkers? I am expecting way more to be revealed because right not it doesn't look "ground breaking".

Because it's trackless you don't know where you're going and will be surprised. I agree with your point. I suspect a video doesn't do it justice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!