Am I looking to soon?

tlg588

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I am planning a trip for 3/10/18 - 3/17/18 with my DW and DD. We would like to stay at WBC or SVR (would be first time at either). I don't have much experience booking this time of year or in booking timeshare units. Is it too soon for me to be booking rooms. I would like to wait if there is a chance to save money but worry that with spring break the resorts could sell out or prices could go up.

Thank you all in advance for your advice. These boards are great. I have been using and recommending them for years.

Tim

I booked about 15 units for friends and family at Orange lake 3 weeks ago. Around mid oct availability gets thinner and almost gone by Jan.

You may actually be too late, not too early. The Spring Break period brings thousands of people to the Orlando area. (I'm guessing your travel dates probably revolve around Spring Break for your kids.) Hotels know exactly when different parts of the country have vacation days. It's unlikely that you'll find any huge discounts for your dates.

I took a quick look at the local public school calendars and saw that Hillsborough Country (Tampa area) has Spring Break from March 10-18, 2018. Hillsborough Country Public Schools is the 3rd largest district in Florida (8th largest in the nation) with over 200,000 students. Lots of those kids will be spending part of their vacation at Disney World. Chances are strong that many of those families will already have reservations.

My advice would be to book something now. It's unlikely that you'll see prices for that week drop. If possible, book something cancelable and/or refundable and continue checking prices, just in case.

I would definitely book something if you see it. That's not that far away and spring break is very busy.

You still have some opportunity for Vistana and possibly WBC. Timeshare ownership is a bit different than hotels. At Vistana, you cannot deposit or register a guest for your unit until your maintenance fees are paid, and they aren't due until December 31st. So there is a bubble of availability late in the year. I usually don't take care of my fees until the fall sometime as do many other deeded owners, so units are still coming available. If you are willing to rent directly from an owner, I would post your dates for both resorts on the rental wanted board at Timeshare User Group (www.tug2.net) and you'll likely get a handful of offers. Also check redweek.com for owner rentals.

But yes, it is generally good to get your reservations for peak periods as soon as possible; and no, there aren't often any deals at this time of year. I may not have taken care of my March break ownership yet (week after your dates) because I don't want to pay my fees too far in advance, but I booked my March break stay at Vistana (same week as you BTW) back in the early summer. By mid-January, the odds are that you won't find a week to rent for March break period.

That is Spring Break season. If you want WBC, doing sooner for more money would be the way to go. There won't be much as it gets closer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter