Am I crazy???

jacobsmommy

DIS Veteran
Now that I have our Disneyland vacation done I was fiddling on the Disney website and figured out that we could go to Disneyworld and stay on site for seven days for just a little more than our three days at DL and three days at San Diego, plus we'd have the dining plan. Now I am kind of wishing that we had planned WDW again (we took our two year old there last year and did the dining plan-it was excellent!) instead of DL. Am I crazy?

You're not crazy. But if you don't go to Disneyland often, I'd stick with DL and San Diego. Then save up for next year for a trip WDW. :goodvibes

This may be our last disney trip for a few years...we plan on adding to our family and we don't want to make big trips with a three or four year old and an infant. We'll probably stay closer to home for the next couple of vacations.

I just loved staying on site and the dining plan so much last year. Our two year old didn't need his car seat all week and we used magical express, which was great! It's hard to beat the all-inclusive feel at WDW.

I would just relax and enjoy it. I know with me it seems like everytime my plans are finalized I go through a period of self doubt - wondering if I made the right decisions - but I always ended having a wonderful time with no regrets!!! I would enjoy your trip!!! Not sure where you are staying at DL, or the San Diego part - but I know the trips to DL for me do feel all inclusive, and we park the car and go. Either way - I hope you can relax and enjoy your vacation!!!:goodvibes

We are staying at the Fairfield Anaheim in DL and at the Bahia in San Diego. We arrive on a Saturday and leave on a Saturday. We will have three days (Sunday-Tuesday) at DL and we are going to the zoo in San Diego, plus lots of relaxation time on the beach in San Diego. If I end up pregnant on our trip DL will be better because it's definately cooler and less humid than WDW.

I agree, I don't ever use my car when I am at DL so it's the same as WDW except you dont' have to wait so long for transportation!!!

San Diego really is wonderful, I am sure you will have a great time there!

Andrea

Believe it or not I did the same thing! After the sticker shock of what I paid for our trip to DL, I see commercials for WDW for 1700 for a week.......HOWEVER in my mind, we have been to WDW several times and have never been to DL or CA. So this is a trip of a lifetime! :yay: Enjoy it especially since you know you won't be taking some big trips for awhile!

I just wanted to add that we just got back from DL with our 3 year old and 5 month old. We hadn't planned to take the baby until she was 1, but then we got that urge and went! We still had a great time! The baby was really good and enjoyed seeing everything. My only wish is that we had another adult or 2 with us so that when we rode rides that neither child could ride, we would have had somebody else with us.

We stayed at HoJo which is just a little past fairfield. We didn't use our car the whole time we were there and no busses or shuttles to wait for and have to fold up the stroller for! San Diego is fabulous also! We usually do what you are doing 3-4 days in DL and then 4 days or so in SD! You might check into the So Cal City pass. It was a great deal and included a 3 day DL park Hopper, Sea World, the zoo or wild animal park and Universal (we didn't use that ticket though). It was somewhere around $229.

Well how much money you spend at each and thus the relative cost of each depends upon a lot of things.
1. Where you stay
If you insist on staying at a Disney Property well there is no way around the fact that there are no values or moderates at DLR like at WDW. So DLR will be more expensive. But if you stay in some of the more expensive deluxe rooms at WDW, those are more expensive than anything DLR has. Also, outside hotels are just a 5 minute walk away at DLR. If you stay in one of those, you can get at or near (sometimes better) than WDW's value price.

2. Tickets are priced at each so staying more days brings the additional cost of each day eventually down to near nothing. I think it was $2 to add an 8th day onto each ticket at WDW. So 10 days there isn't much more than 5 in the way of ticket prices. DLR isn't a 10 day destination so you can't take advantage of that.

3. Food. WDW has the meal plan. And if you like sit downs, this can save you a lot of money vs the sit downs at DLR. But in both cases, if you don't need or want sit downs, you're better off not getting the plan at WDW and going to the counters. But counter prices are nearly the same. But off site options are much more viable at DLR than they are at WDW and that can save you a bit of money. And if you don't have a car at WDW, you can virtually forget eating meals off site.

4. Air fare. This is a large chunk of a trip price. If you can drive to one but not the other, well 9 times out of 10, the one you can drive is going to be cheaper. Also, a cross country airfare is usually more expensive than an in-region one. But not always.

5. If you pick the right hotel, you won't need a rental car at DLR. You won't need one at WDW either but many people are more likely to want one for convenience at WDW.

6. There is nothing you can do at WDW in 3-4 days that will have more fun packed into it than 3-4 days at DLR. It is only over longer trips where the advantages of WDW over DLR come out. Let me put this a different way. There are almost as many attractions at DLR's 2 parks as there are in WDW's 4. But WDW involves so much walking, you can't get to em all in 3-4 days at WDW. You can indeed get to em all in DLR especially since it's open longer on average. Plus, Disneyland time is BEHIND most of the continental United States. Disneyworld time is AHEAD of most of the continental United States
That makes it far easier for many to get up early and get to the parks at their least crowded at DLR.

7. Deals. At WDW, they usually offer things like free hopping plus water fun packs. They also usually offer deep discounts at the hotels for AP holders. Also, they've offered free food at WDW. If you stay value hotel or mod, there is no topping that. That's a big chunk of expense wiped off right there.
As I tend to stay off-site at DLR, I can't really take advantage of any hotel deal at dlr like 4 nights for 3. Deals can and do occur at the outside hotels too. But you have to keep looking.
Because there are 5 airports in range in LA and only 1 in Orlando (2 if you count Tampa but you'd have to rent a car from there.) I can usually get some discounted deals to at least one of them in LA, whereas I can't get that as readily to Orlando.

this post string pretty much summarizes why my wife & I as So-Calians bought into the DVC. Even accounting for airfare, it is a better value and experience for us to FLY to WDW for a week w/ the DVC then the same amount of time at DL. Not to mention the cleanliness and infrastructure superiority WDW has as compared to DL.

Well how much money you spend at each and thus the relative cost of each depends upon a lot of things.
1. Where you stay
If you insist on staying at a Disney Property well there is no way around the fact that there are no values or moderates at DLR like at WDW. So DLR will be more expensive. But if you stay in some of the more expensive deluxe rooms at WDW, those are more expensive than anything DLR has. Also, outside hotels are just a 5 minute walk away at DLR. If you stay in one of those, you can get at or near (sometimes better) than WDW's value price.

2. Tickets are priced at each so staying more days brings the additional cost of each day eventually down to near nothing. I think it was $2 to add an 8th day onto each ticket at WDW. So 10 days there isn't much more than 5 in the way of ticket prices. DLR isn't a 10 day destination so you can't take advantage of that.

3. Food. WDW has the meal plan. And if you like sit downs, this can save you a lot of money vs the sit downs at DLR. But in both cases, if you don't need or want sit downs, you're better off not getting the plan at WDW and going to the counters. But counter prices are nearly the same. But off site options are much more viable at DLR than they are at WDW and that can save you a bit of money. And if you don't have a car at WDW, you can virtually forget eating meals off site.

4. Air fare. This is a large chunk of a trip price. If you can drive to one but not the other, well 9 times out of 10, the one you can drive is going to be cheaper. Also, a cross country airfare is usually more expensive than an in-region one. But not always.

5. If you pick the right hotel, you won't need a rental car at DLR. You won't need one at WDW either but many people are more likely to want one for convenience at WDW.

6. There is nothing you can do at WDW in 3-4 days that will have more fun packed into it than 3-4 days at DLR. It is only over longer trips where the advantages of WDW over DLR come out. Let me put this a different way. There are almost as many attractions at DLR's 2 parks as there are in WDW's 4. But WDW involves so much walking, you can't get to em all in 3-4 days at WDW. You can indeed get to em all in DLR especially since it's open longer on average. Plus, Disneyland time is BEHIND most of the continental United States. Disneyworld time is AHEAD of most of the continental United States
That makes it far easier for many to get up early and get to the parks at their least crowded at DLR.

7. Deals. At WDW, they usually offer things like free hopping plus water fun packs. They also usually offer deep discounts at the hotels for AP holders. Also, they've offered free food at WDW. If you stay value hotel or mod, there is no topping that. That's a big chunk of expense wiped off right there.
As I tend to stay off-site at DLR, I can't really take advantage of any hotel deal at dlr like 4 nights for 3. Deals can and do occur at the outside hotels too. But you have to keep looking.
Because there are 5 airports in range in LA and only 1 in Orlando (2 if you count Tampa but you'd have to rent a car from there.) I can usually get some discounted deals to at least one of them in LA, whereas I can't get that as readily to Orlando.

Completely agree with EVERY single word you said!!

Andrea

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter