Am I crazy to give up CA Grill for the Plaza?

MinnieMom

Because everyone needs a little magic in their lif
DH really wants to see Spectro on our upcoming September trip and it is only running two of the nights we're there. We have CA Grill ressies the one night and Narcoossee's the second. I refuse to give up Narcoossee's, so I'm considering cutting CA Grill. How crazy am I? Our CA Grill ressies are at 6:20 and Spectro is at 8 so I know we'd never make it.

I know the Plaza is nothing like CA Grill, but I have at least read good reviews for it and I do think DH would probably appreciate a nice sandwich shop more than CA Grill to be honest, but I'm hesitating making the change because I really wanted to try CA Grill. We've never been there and probably won't do any more trips without the kids, so I doubt I'll get there for quite a while anyway.

Oh well! I guess I just need someone to tell me to deal with it and give DH his one wish for the trip!

It's hard to give up California Grill. Really! BUT if that's what he wants then I don't see what choice is except instead of the Plaza why don't you go to Tony's. It's really nice there. Just my opinion. Happy Anninversary!

give up the Cali Grille - you're right, you'd never make it to Spectro even if you got seated right at 6:20. Without cocktails & appetisers it still took almost 2 hours for us in May--and we did not have to wait for a table at all because we were in first seating right when they opened.)

...to see Spectro in September, with the lower crowds, would be worth it. And if he'd like a sandwich, keep 'em happy...give you more "bargaining" power on another issue:laughing: So, skip Cali Grille, especially since you have a good Signature restaurant going anyway (Narcossee's)

We love Plaza for the "sandwiches"--a change of pace from all the heavy meals we've done during our trip. I say give hubby this one treat and try California Grill another time (we've never done CG).

Any chance you can make both of you happy and move your CG ADR to later in the evening (after Spectro)?

If not, Plaza is very good. :goodvibes

give up the Cali Grille - you're right, you'd never make it to Spectro even if you got seated right at 6:20. Without cocktails & appetisers it still took almost 2 hours for us in May--and we did not have to wait for a table at all because we were in first seating right when they opened.)

...to see Spectro in September, with the lower crowds, would be worth it. And if he'd like a sandwich, keep 'em happy...give you more "bargaining" power on another issue:laughing: So, skip Cali Grille, especially since you have a good Signature restaurant going anyway (Narcossee's)

Ooooh . . . good point about the "bargaining" power. I hadn't thought of it that way! JK!!

The more I think about it the more I realize I'll be giving DH a little bit of the magic this way. So, I'm going to make the call now and cancel. I guess I owe DH for putting up with me and my Disney obsession for 10 years anyway! LOL!!

I think I am definitely in the minority that says, cancel CA Grill and go to the Plaza. I mean, no, the Plaza is not as fancy or as good by any means, but I think that CA is a little over-hyped in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but there are other restaurants I like just as well. I say that with one caveat, however, CA Grill has some of the most amazing sushi I have EVER had!

Enjoy the Plaza and enjoy Spectro- it's one of my favorite nighttime events ever at Disney!

Hubby deserves at least one wish!

I have not been to the Plaza, but if Spectro is the objective, I would be very happy to eat there!

I think the Plaza seems nice. I've never been because I don't think you get your money's worth from it on the DDP but if you are paying OOP, I say, go for it!

If you haven't already cancelled I would suggest trying to get in earlier. Later may be tough as the closer you get to Wishes, the harder it is to get an ADR. Right now I have an ADR for 9:20 on a night in Sept. when Wishes goes at 10. I try to call a few times a day to get an earlier time. (Originally I had 9:40). I so far, can either get 5:40, or 9:40. I haven't eaten at the Plaza so I can't say anything about it.

ADDED-I just checked the 2 days Spectromagic is there when you are and Wishes will show at either 9 or 10 (depending on the day) And since one of those days is Saturday I don't think you'll really be able to get a later ADR (after 8:00 Spectro...). But I still think earlier may work for you. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter