Am I crazy? Just switched from AKL to..

chocovrdmicears

DIS Veteran
The Contemporary!
There must be something wrong with me! We just returned from a fabulous stay at AKL. We booked our Sept 09 through the bounceback for AKL.
Well..DH just called tonight and for $100 more we can stay at the Contemporary. (garden view...MK view was about $2K more...not in the budget!) The factors that led me to switch was #1..DS5 is autistic so transportation is very important. The buses were fabulous at AKL this past trip, but we booked for later in Sept into Oct for the F&W festival so we anticpate that the crowds will be bigger thus affecting the bus system. And #2 the CM confirmed that with the villas opening at AKL they will be adding 1 or possibly 2 more bus stops thus adding to the transportation. Clearly the Contemporary has a huge advantage in getting to and from the MK/Epcot. (which is where we spend the most of our time). We stayed at the Poly when DS was little and loved the monorail access...The bus sytems was great at AKL but can't compare to the monorail access in terms of getting in and out of the parks...Did I do the right thing? I really think so...just looking for some positive thoughts to make me feel ok!:goodvibes

We stayed at the Contemporary last Dec. and I would not hesitate to stay there again. I think you will be fine there. The monorail and short walk to MK will be a big plus for your family. The rooms are also a very nice size. You'll have 2 queen beds and a day bed. Perhaps DS would also enjoy the short boat ride over to Fort Wilderness to see the horses and other animals(I believe goats). It is very nice there and not at all overwhelming. There will be an increase in guests sometime in Sept 2009 with the opening of the new DVC units Bay Lake Tower next to Contemporary, but I still think you've made a good choice. We also had a computer in our room which we used daily. It was a very nice perk.
The only downside we had was there really was not enough drawer space!

Honestly, I'm not sure if you made the right choice. On the one hand you have the ease of either walking or getting on the monorail. But you still have to get on a bus for two of the parks. Another plus for CR is the amount of dining choices you have there. It's also pretty darn cool!

However, I have two ASD boys, and the peace and quiet over at AKL was a big de-stresser for them, and a big bonus for me! The ride back on the bus would relax them and would give them time to process, making for easier transitions.

I have been reluctant to book over at CR just because of the noise, the hustle and bustle, and the problems I have with my kids and balconies. I would worry more about the noise and stimulus than I would about the bus vs monorail. Sure the CR is cool, but I think if you really want the monorail you might be better off with the peace of the Poly or the GF. :goodvibes

I think you made a good choice. In addition to the ease of transportation, you chose the garden wing which is away from the hustle and bustle of the main tower. I haven't stayed there yet, but have heard that the garden wing is more peaceful...

i don't think you can go wrong with any disney deluxe resorts. each are unique in what they offer, it nice to experince something totally different. we try to stay at a different resort each trip, it kind of puts a new twist on your vacation. the cr looks really cool! i'm sure you will love it. keep in mind you can walk to mk from cr, which is really nice after wishes. :thumbsup2

Since you just spent some time at AKL, good choice to try something new. CR has great location, nice rooms and transportation is ok. Several good restaurants on the Monorail loop. Theming is blah and construction can be a bit annoying.

I love AKL and I love Contemporary. Using the monorail is great and walking to the MK is nice also. Watching wishes from your room is awesome! I really liked the rooms with their flat screen tvs and "modern " feeling. I don't think you'll be sorry. I have a hard time deciding which one I like better (AKL or CR). They are totally different, but in a good way.

Thanks for all your responses!
As much as we loved AKL..I can't help but love the idea of walking
to MK and having the monorail access. The theming isn't our ideal...but
as they say..location, location,location.;)

The Contemporary is a wonderful resort and I am sure you will have a great time. I would check out the CR FAQ thread there are tons of great pics and reviews.

If that works better for your family then go for it. Personally I would not do it because we stayed at the CR and did not like it at all.

I am super excited to stay at AKL in just 9 days!

Thanks for all your responses!
As much as we loved AKL..I can't help but love the idea of walking
to MK and having the monorail access. The theming isn't our ideal...but
as they say..location, location,location.;)

PLEASE don't stress over this one for another minute. We return to Monorail resorts time after time for just the reasons you stated. It is HUGE to us to be able to use the monorail to get to 2 of the 4 theme parks. We just walked through AKL a few days ago to eat at Boma, and we just were not thrilled with how far it from everything but AK. You will LOVE CR!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter