Am I a Bad Mommy.......

phillmolly

DIS Veteran
because I love the fact that my 8 month old son LOVES Mickey Mouse Clubhouse? I put on in the morning and he just loves it, he will dance when they sing and gets excited when we sing "hot dog, hot dog, hot diggity dog" to him. I think it is the colors and songs that he likes, but I tell my DH that he got my love of disney. I can't wait to take him to WDW for the first time, although we will probally wait untill he is 3, since we want to buy a new house soon. I have already decided that the theme for his first birthday will be Mickey Mouse!

I know it's a "no-no" to let the little ones watch tv, but when it's on, and my 5mo is in his exersaucer, he always turns around to see it and smiles along too. The older one go around singing the "hot dog" song all day - it's so catchy! If you're a bad mommy, I'm a bad mommy too! (It's not like we're parking the babies in front of the tv all day, so no flames!!!!)

Everything in moderation. :thumbsup2

My daughter is 12 now and when she was little she loved the tv too.:lovestruc

I would let her watch a show a day. Sometimes two. She knew after she watched to turn off the TV. She still turned out to be a very smart kid :teacher:and guess what now our house is on the Disney Channel every chance she gets. Now she would never turn it off she sings along too.

Better than what most kids are watching and its age appropriate. :cool1:

Nope -- and even though many people don't want to admit it, lots of people let their babies watch TV.

We did let DD watch when she was that age -- she loved Elmo! But it's not like she was hooked for life. Now she's 9 and rarely watches -- we don't even have a TV at the trailer where we spend most of the summer. We took it out the first year when we realized nobody was watching it.

NO!! You are a great Mom!! Its bright, colorfu, musical, and stimulating that little brain! I have been guilty of watching Mickey Mouse or Phineas and Ferb even after the kids have left the room.... :rolleyes1

if you are, then I'm a bad mommy too! my 16 month old's first words were disney related - Nemo! and his fave show is mickey mouse club - he loves the song and gets mad when teh show is over. He watches two shows a day - Mickey and Handy Manny and loves them. I can't wait until he goes to disney to meet them b/c he had a blast at Disney playhouse show and loved the characters last year when he was only 7 months!

I'm right there with ya. I was doing the hotdog dance :banana: with my dd this morning, before we left. I even like MM Club house and Handy Manny. At least it's semi educational and if we're worried about it, then that makes us good moms. :cheer2:

Awww.:lovestruc I wish my DS would dance around to Disney songs. 'Course, he's 22yo now, so they'd probably lock him up.

My kids grew up watching Disney's Silly Songs, the really old ones with all the classic songs. We've replaced a few but we still have quite a collection of 20year old VHS tapes. Before each trip to WDW I haul out the Silly Songs and keep them running in the background. My big kids just roll their eyes, but my youngest DS14 is severely mentally handicapped. He thinks every day is his birthday! We listen to those songs and he flaps around and when we finally do get to WDW he is already acclimated to the music and we have a BLAST!

All is good, in moderation :goodvibes
My 3 year old must watch MMCH or HM daily, it's his "thing" after a long day outdoors. And now, he's initiated our 8 month old into watching as well. Our little guys both love Mickey, and I too think it's all the colours, singing and dancing. And yes, there is educational content on both shows; so it's not like they are just :happytv: without learning. Duncan has picked up Spanish words from Handy Manny, and even comments on how it sounds like the French we practice. :thumbsup2

This post really hits home with me. My son is 1 1/2 and actually calls Mickey Mouse "hot dog" because of the song. We went to the Disney Store to get him a stuffed Mickey and he started shaking yelling "hot dog...hot dog..." I can't wait to take him for his first tip either. For the record, I've heard mom's do a lot worse than letting their children watch the Mickey Mouse Club House.:laughing:

We went to the Disney Store to get him a stuffed Mickey and he started shaking yelling "hot dog...hot dog..." I can't wait to take him for his first tip either.QUOTE]

This made me giggle out loud!
So sweet.

I'm not against tv at all. (especially when Disney is on!) Both of my kids watch more than I did growing up but they are also active. As in most things, balance is the key.

My DD9 was 18 months old when she started watching Mary Poppins. She didn't want me to fastforward through the talking, either! She wanted the entire movie. What 18month old watches Mary Poppins???

I ran out and bought her the Disney Tunes Kids Clip with Mary Poppins cartridges and she'd carry it around all day. We still have it. I love that thing. Always looking for more cartridges.

If you're a bad mommy, I'm a worse one. . . We taught my DS who's almost five how to turn on the TV and watch MM Clubhouse in the mornings so that mommy can get an extra half hour of sleep beofre his younger brother wakes up ;). The other day, I woke up and went into the living room-- DS was sitting there, watching MM Clubhouse and eating a bag of chips popcorn::! I aked him about the chips, and he said, "I was hungry Mama, and nobody was up to feed me!" :rotfl: Poor, deprived kid!! --Katie

Yes you are a bad mommy!!!! You should have let babay hear the song in utero!:goodvibes My wife was pregnant with our DD 5 when we went to Disney World in 2003-My DD 5 had her 3rd and 4th birthday at Disney;Our other DD 4 was 1,2,and 3 years old(not birthdays though)at Disney!!! Be prepared,I think you might be encouraging another DIS'er!!!! I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with what your'e doing-just be prepared when the youngster is ready to go to "The House of Mouse"!:thumbsup2

I must be yet another bad mommy! My 9 month old son loves tv. He even tries to turn it on and off himself! :lmao: He plays with his toys while his older sister (8) watch Phineas and Ferb and all the other Disney kids shows! He is going to meet Mickey for his 1st Birthday this Sept- I am starting his love of the mouse early!:love:

LOL! I'll join you on that bad mommy bench. DD7 decided when DD11mo was born that the best way to make sure the baby wasn't scared of Mickey was early indoctrination. So from the time the baby started scooting and being even a little interactive, DD7 would pull up a beanbag chair to cuddle in on the floor, put MMCH on (DVD), and explain who all the characters were to her baby sister. It is just so cute that I couldn't discourage it, and at 11mo, the baby gets excited and bounces/dances every time she hears the MMCH music. And now that she's walking and getting into everything, it is a nice little big of downtime - she's constant motion any time she's awake, except for that half hour that Mickey is on in the morning!

Thanks all for not me feel bad!!! I love, love, love disney and the fact that my son enjoys it also helps me get my DH on board! He is already talking about a family trip every 2 or 3 years!!! Yeah for us. Maybe as Will gets older he can help me talk his dad into a trip every year, LOL!

Nope, you're not a bad Mommy for letting him watch MMCH. Our 8.5 month old watches it once in a while too. He probably watches Elmo on SS everyday for about 10 minutes!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter