Aluani newbie questions

kateandy08096

DIS Veteran
Hi all! My husband and I are planning 2 weeks at Aluani Oct 2023. We are DVC members and will be using some of our points.
We both have never been and would love some ideas from others who have been on things to do off Aluani property such as food, beaches and fun.
We were planning back in 2020 but covid hit and I can't find my notes anywhere. I read there are certain shrimp trucks to visit, best shaved ice, donut trucks, beaches etc.
Any help with ideas would be awesome.
Thank you

Aloha from Honolulu! October 2023 is a long wait! That’ll be the hardest part! We became DVC members and had our first stay in a Deluxe Studio with a 4 year old and an infant. It worked but nap time took forever! Our second stay on the 4th of July we stayed in a 1 BR…..Wow! We are never going smaller 😂! The kitchen, the balcony, the jets in the tub, the space in the waterfall shower… The view we had both times was Pool but I could care less especially when it comes to saving on points. I’d be happy with a standard and will be telling my wife to book that view from now on because we mostly stay inside enjoying the space. So here are the scoops from a local who’s lived here all my life except while away for college in Memphis:
Food on property- blah! As a local, it’s pretty crappy! Typical fast food, fries, tenders, etc. it’ll do while at the pool but it is not “local” to Hawaii whatsoever! The shave ice in my opinion is the best thing they have! The ears are a nice way for Aulani to make an extra few bucks but our family of four are happy with the regular no ears option. For picture purposes and showing off, you’ll probably get it 😂. If you’re looking for a night out for food, I’d recommend monkeypod across the street or Roy’s for fine dining. Aulani just doesn’t have the food selection to blow you away and that includes the olelo room. The makahiki for breakfast would be an option for the characters only. Kind of hard to mess up pancakes and eggs. Dinner, no thank you! My wife and I had our first anniversary date there and it disappointed. To be honest, the pizza from the ulu cafe is pretty dang good! If you have a car and don’t mind galavanting to nearby kapolei, you’ll find much better options! MUCH BETTER! I recommend chun wah Kam for Manapuas, pork hash, and crispy gau gee. If you order a plate from there…. Good luck finishing it by yourself! They pack it in! Depending on your kitchen in your room, you’d be better off prepping your own food. It doesn’t have the variety that Waikiki does but you’d be able to find some good food in kapolei, especially at foodland farms for poke (raw fish). Food trucks are all over the island so it all depends on what you want. The shrimp truck that is most popular is Giovanni’s up in Laie about 50 mins away from Aulani. There are other popular food trucks that have garlic shrimp but that is the most well-known especially on tv. If you are making the trek up north be sure to get your shave ice fix from matsumotos in Haleiwa. It’s one of the most popular places on island but personally not my favorite. But again that is the one that is most documented especially with Adam Sandler’s T-shirt on 50 first dates. My favorite spot for shave ice is on Maui (ululanis) but here it would be shimazu store. They have two locations- Waikiki and liliha. Of course you can fool around with all the flavors that they have, but you can never go wrong with rainbow. Other options to consider on island is baldwins and waiola. Anyplace else will be a hit or Miss! Just be sure to not buy any while at the Aloha Stadium swap meet that takes place on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Their shave ice is a joke. Don’t be the ones that locals laugh at when they see you eating them. Donut trucks lol you mean malasada trucks. If you want the prime location, it’s on kapahulu ave in Waikiki. If you ever do decide to spend a day or so in Waikiki, that’s the place you want to go when you head back to the hotel Because it is on your way back to the freeway. You could also possibly team that up with the shimazu store shave ice but you’ll for sure be on a sugar high 😂.That spot is called Leonard’s the home of Leonard’s malasadas. Don’t fool around by getting cream field stuffed ones. The basic malasada is best! If Waikiki is not in the game plan, they have food trucks in nearby Waikele, pearlridge, or Hawaii Kai on your way to hanauma bay or hiking the makapuu lighthouse. If, if you want something that has become popular within the past 5 years or so, be sure to check out uncle Lanis poi mochi in the nearby ka makana alii mall in kapolei for what locals call the best donut in the state (arguably). You will not be disappointed as their lines are always long at craft fairs, carnivals, and food truck events that they are at. Beaches, you got a car? If so the best beaches on the island are west of the hotel. But be smart as there is a lot of break ins so make sure you have no visible bags or valuables. Makaha, pokai bay, are really great spots to enjoy the water and sun! Be sure to be smart in the water as the undertow and current can kick your booty! If you’re willing to take a trek, Kailua beach park is another top spot, prolly 45 mins away. Lanikai has been on numerous travel channel shows as being one of the most beautiful beaches in the world but parking can be a hassle. Waikiki is crowded and mostly rocky (not dangerous though) but it’s the picture that is seen all over the world when talking about Hawaii. A hidden gem is a spot our family loves, kaiona beach park in Waimanalo (near Kailua). Just make sure jellyfish aren’t around by watching the news. Other than that, those are the spots side recommend and again this is coming from somebody who is here no and as if they’re all my life. If you have any further questions please feel free to reach out to me as I would be more than happy to share you some safe and quality insight on what will probably be one of the most amazing trips you’ve ever taken! Aloha!

Last edited:
I know everyone raves about Matsumotu's for shave ice, but we LOVED a small place near Aulani. Island Shave Ice and Creamery in Kapolei. With condensed milk and ice cream. Quick drive from Aulani and we kept thinking about it so had to go a few times. Matsumotu's was disappointing after this one.

I loved driving around North Shore. Went to a variety of art places. My favorite was Ohana Island Creations. Family-owned wood carving and extremely reasonable prices. Waimea Blue North Shore Art Gallery was also great for art souvenirs.

You must do a luau, and we went to Toa Luau. Super family feel to it. And you get admission to Waimea botanic gardens as well.

Aloha from Honolulu! October 2023 is a long wait! That’ll be the hardest part! We became DVC members and had our first stay in a Deluxe Studio with a 4 year old and an infant. It worked but nap time took forever! Our second stay on the 4th of July we stayed in a 1 BR…..Wow! We are never going smaller 😂! The kitchen, the balcony, the jets in the tub, the space in the waterfall shower… The view we had both times was Pool but I could care less especially when it comes to saving on points. I’d be happy with a standard and will be telling my wife to book that view from now on because we mostly stay inside enjoying the space. So here are the scoops from a local who’s lived here all my life except while away for college in Memphis:
Food on property- blah! As a local, it’s pretty crappy! Typical fast food, fries, tenders, etc. it’ll do while at the pool but it is not “local” to Hawaii whatsoever! The shave ice in my opinion is the best thing they have! The ears are a nice way for Aulani to make an extra few bucks but our family of four are happy with the regular no ears option. For picture purposes and showing off, you’ll probably get it 😂. If you’re looking for a night out for food, I’d recommend monkeypod across the street or Roy’s for fine dining. Aulani just doesn’t have the food selection to blow you away and that includes the olelo room. The makahiki for breakfast would be an option for the characters only. Kind of hard to mess up pancakes and eggs. Dinner, no thank you! My wife and I had our first anniversary date there and it disappointed. To be honest, the pizza from the ulu cafe is pretty dang good! If you have a car and don’t mind galavanting to nearby kapolei, you’ll find much better options! MUCH BETTER! I recommend chun wah Kam for Manapuas, pork hash, and crispy gau gee. If you order a plate from there…. Good luck finishing it by yourself! They pack it in! Depending on your kitchen in your room, you’d be better off prepping your own food. It doesn’t have the variety that Waikiki does but you’d be able to find some good food in kapolei, especially at foodland farms for poke (raw fish). Food trucks are all over the island so it all depends on what you want. The shrimp truck that is most popular is Giovanni’s up in Laie about 50 mins away from Aulani. There are other popular food trucks that have garlic shrimp but that is the most well-known especially on tv. If you are making the trek up north be sure to get your shave ice fix from matsumotos in Haleiwa. It’s one of the most popular places on island but personally not my favorite. But again that is the one that is most documented especially with Adam Sandler’s T-shirt on 50 first dates. My favorite spot for shave ice is on Maui (ululanis) but here it would be shimazu store. They have two locations- Waikiki and liliha. Of course you can fool around with all the flavors that they have, but you can never go wrong with rainbow. Other options to consider on island is baldwins and waiola. Anyplace else will be a hit or Miss! Just be sure to not buy any while at the Aloha Stadium swap meet that takes place on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Their shave ice is a joke. Don’t be the ones that locals laugh at when they see you eating them. Donut trucks lol you mean malasada trucks. If you want the prime location, it’s on kapahulu ave in Waikiki. If you ever do decide to spend a day or so in Waikiki, that’s the place you want to go when you head back to the hotel Because it is on your way back to the freeway. You could also possibly team that up with the shimazu store shave ice but you’ll for sure be on a sugar high 😂.That spot is called Leonard’s the home of Leonard’s malasadas. Don’t fool around by getting cream field stuffed ones. The basic malasada is best! If Waikiki is not in the game plan, they have food trucks in nearby Waikele, pearlridge, or Hawaii Kai on your way to hanauma bay or hiking the makapuu lighthouse. If, if you want something that has become popular within the past 5 years or so, be sure to check out uncle Lanis poi mochi in the nearby ka makana alii mall in kapolei for what locals call the best donut in the state (arguably). You will not be disappointed as their lines are always long at craft fairs, carnivals, and food truck events that they are at. Beaches, you got a car? If so the best beaches on the island are west of the hotel. But be smart as there is a lot of break ins so make sure you have no visible bags or valuables. Makaha, pokai bay, are really great spots to enjoy the water and sun! Be sure to be smart in the water as the undertow and current can kick your booty! If you’re willing to take a trek, Kailua beach park is another top spot, prolly 45 mins away. Lanikai has been on numerous travel channel shows as being one of the most beautiful beaches in the world but parking can be a hassle. Waikiki is crowded and mostly rocky (not dangerous though) but it’s the picture that is seen all over the world when talking about Hawaii. A hidden gem is a spot our family loves, kaiona beach park in Waimanalo (near Kailua). Just make sure jellyfish aren’t around by watching the news. Other than that, those are the spots side recommend and again this is coming from somebody who is here no and as if they’re all my life. If you have any further questions please feel free to reach out to me as I would be more than happy to share you some safe and quality insight on what will probably be one of the most amazing trips you’ve ever taken! Aloha!
I just first have to say you given me the BEST response I have EVER recieved in any group I have been in. THANK YOU so very much for all of the wonderful recommendations. We have DVC and staying on points. I myself don't care about the view but my husband does. I rather get the most time there using points. We plan on traveling all over the island but using Aulani as a place to rest since we have the DVC. And yes I did LOL I didn't mean donut trucks 😅 I lost my notes from 2020 planning but now you just refreshed my memory. Thank you again for your expertise 😁

I just first have to say you given me the BEST response I have EVER recieved in any group I have been in. THANK YOU so very much for all of the wonderful recommendations. We have DVC and staying on points. I myself don't care about the view but my husband does. I rather get the most time there using points. We plan on traveling all over the island but using Aulani as a place to rest since we have the DVC. And yes I did LOL I didn't mean donut trucks 😅 I lost my notes from 2020 planning but now you just refreshed my memory. Thank you again for your expertise 😁
Trust me there is A LOT more you can and will try to do but it all depends on what it is! I have not come across another Hawaii resident on here besides “Alohamom” but I think it’s just part of her name… but I’ll continue to recommend and answer anything that comes up. If you have a car, you can do whatever you want! So here are some questions to think about that can help make some decisions regarding what to do when here:
Will you have a rental car? I do believe DVC gets free parking, that is huge $avings if so! Again being local and a DVC member it wasn’t a problem for us as we never left 😂 but I believe it is free. Besides self-parking is about a 3 minute walk from the elevators in the hotel.
Do you have keiki (children) coming with? If so how old. You want to do things that are safe if so, especially in regards to beaches, hiking, etc. if just adults then you can go nuts!
What do you value the most on this trip? Sightseeing or the Aulani experience or both? The amount of days you spend here is vital because you can enjoy the entire trip by not leaving the property. Some days I’d spend it galavanting while some, I’d just stay near the pools/lagoons.
So much more that I can share until Oct. 2023 😂. We’ll be going back on Dec.30 and I am going to try this renting points thingy to go back in October and then back again for next year’s 4th of July weekend. You’re going to be so ready! 😀

Such a comprehensive response, Thank you. This will surely help everyone.

My favorite attraction is the Bishop Museum, and I recommend going early in your trip because it will enhance everything else you do. They have amazing exhibits, the architecture of the buildings themselves is gorgeous, and it services as a great introduction to Hawaiian history and culture. There are always times later on in my trips where I've made connections at subsequent destinations to things I had seen or learned at the museum.

My favorite hike is Ka'ena Point, but the locals would know much better than I would.

If you have the budget, I would "splurge" on valet parking. The self-parking lot is depressing to me, I much prefer to come and go through the gorgeous lobby.

I know everyone raves about Matsumotu's for shave ice.
Shh don't tell anyone... Disney uses the exact same ingredients as Matsumoto's. They're identical.

I myself don't care about the view but my husband does.
For me, based on the points chart, I think Ocean View is worth the splurge if you want a view, but Poolside Garden is a huge waste. It's much too expensive (in both cash and points IMO) for what you get. That said, Aulani might be difficult to get for two solid weeks if you're not an owner there, and the Standard View units go first. If you're budgeting points, plan to save enough for Ocean View just in case the cheaper units sell out.

We just experienced our 1st visit to Aulani at the beginning of July. My husband and I visited HI about 15 years ago and knew we wanted to come back with kids one day. Our kids are now 17 and 13 and they absolutely loved it! We thought it would be a 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip, but we all want to go back, so we're working on how to make it a more regular trip. We spent most of our time away from the resort hiking and exploring the island, but we definitely enjoyed our resort time as well.

RESORT
We stayed 5 nights in a 1 bedroom poolside gardens view, 2 nights in a 1 bedroom ocean view and 1 night in a studio ocean view. I would do poolside gardens view again, but I would request 1st floor for the easy access to the pool from your veranda. Ocean view was nice, but we aren't the type to sit in the room or on the balcony. We will likely book standard or island view, if available, next time just to save on points. The lazy river and slides are amazing. We didn't worry about chairs and just used the cubbies next to the slide entrance. We didn't spend a lot of time in the lagoon. Instead, we headed a bit north of the property, just past the Four Seasons, and enjoyed the secret lagoon. The snorkeling here was AMAZING! Plenty of fish and SEA TURTLES....definitely a highlight of the entire trip! We did not enjoy the food at the resort. The better option in our opinion was to walk across the road to Monkeypod, Eggs N Things, etc. The food at the ABC Island Market is even a great choice.

FOOD
We ate at Hula Grill (brunch) and Duke's (breakfast) and enjoyed both. We enjoyed the small 'mom & pop' places the most though. Make sure to stop at Ted's Bakery (more than just sweets), Sunrise Shack (Monkey Bowl = AMAZING) and Waiahole Poi Factory (Haupia Ice Cream! & local HI dishes). We had shave ice at Matsumoto, Aulani, Island Snow and Kokonuts (by far our favorite!). For a nicer dinner, we visited Haleiwa Joe's in Kaneohe(recommended by a local) and it was a great experience with beautful views of the mountains and a tropical garden. We did the Polynesian Cultural Center luau and would not recommend due to the price and quality of food. We'll definitely skip the luau next trip.

HIKING
We hiked every morning of the trip as this was at the top of my husband's to-do list. Ka'ena Point Trail from the west side was a beautiful, long, flat hike that was approx. 6 miles round trip (that's including the extra mile due to having to park outside the closed gates because of our early arrival). Koko Crater Railway is an interesting hike up old railroad tracks and is quite popular. The views at the top of the 1000+ steps are breathtaking. Makapu'u Point Lighthouse trail is completely paved, but an incline the entire way, with lots of beautiful lookout stops along the way. Additionally, there are pillboxes that you can hike to at the top for an even higher vantage point. Diamond Head is a well known hike that overlooks Waikiki Beach and is fairly easy to navigate, but requires an advance reservation. Crouching Lion is much more off the beaten path and more challenging than some of the others mentioned because it's almost straight up the mountain with very loose, slippery dirt, but plenty of trees and roots to grab onto and even a rope at one point. The views at the top of this one are worth the work to get up! It was easily my kids' favorite hike. Maili Pillbox on the west coast, north of Aulani, was pretty easy to navigate and had low traffic. We got to see many goats in the wild on this one, so that made it memorable. Even with all these hikes, there are still plenty left to do as Hawaii is so full of adventure and beauty! It's a hikers dream!

OTHER SIGHTS
We also visited the Dole Plantation, which we found to be way overcrowded and didn't end up spending much time here. We made quick stop at the Byodo-In Temple, but feel we could have missed this and been okay. We would recommend stopping to see the Halona Blowhole and Lana'i Lookout (in close poximity to one another). If you're really adventurous, check out the China Walls and partake in the cliff jumping. Kids and husband wanted to join in, but were unprepared without swimsuits. We visited the Manoa Chocolate Factory and did a free chocolate tasting and the Ko'Hana Rum Factory and did a paid rum tasting. Would recommend both if you're into that sort of thing. We visited the Polynesian Cultural Center, but really didn't give ourselves enough time to explore. Pretty good souvenir shopping here, but we won't pay the high price to go in to the center again (you can park and shop without paying the entry fee).

We packed a ton into our 8 night trip and still feel like we left so many things undone. Another highlight was just driving around the island and stopping at various beaches. They are all so different and beautiful! Ka'a'awa beach is quite picturesque and there are a ton of rope swings hanging next to the ocean that provide fun photo opportunities. We also made a quick stop at Turtle Bay Beach resort and were quite impressed by its beauty.

You just about cannot go wrong any way you turn in HI. Enjoy every moment!

Hi,

We'll be staying for 2-nights at the "Vive Hotel Waikiki" on 10/11/23 and 10/12/23 before embarking on our 14-night, DCL cruise to Sydney from 10/13/23 - 10/27/23. After staying in Sydney for 5 nights, we plan to return to Honolulu and stay at Aulani for 5 nights, using our DVC points, before heading home.

The recommendations on this report so far are great. My one question for now is do you recommend renting a car or is there an economical way to get to Aulani from HNL and back? We've never done Uber and I'm not sure if we want to explore the Island or just enjoy Aulani. We visited the Big Island back in 2008 and 2011 over Mother's Day when it was a bargain time to go there and those were fantastic trips.

Last edited:
Uber can sometimes be trick. They don’t seem to like driving to Ko’Olina. Likely can make more money elsewhere.

Hi Van@Disney,

Do most people rent a car to drive to Aulani? My DW refuses to charge things back to her phone or to put a credit card on it to do so. I figured I could just get an Uber card and put a set amount of cash on it. I don't have a smart phone myself, but the need to have one is getting so necessary I may have to break down and get one. And then it will likely take over my life! I still recall while we were on the Magic in Norway and had just disembarked at the tiny Village of Geiranger, which is located in one the most beautiful locations on the planet at the very end of the Geiranger Fjord and numerous people were sitting outside the main mercantile establishment on a couple of very long benches staring into their phones.

58 Cruising Into Geiranger, Norway.JPG

Last edited:
I lived on Oahu from 1995-1998, so have a bit of insight. We also bought at the Marriott‘s Ko Olina Beach Club in 2008, and go every other year for 2 weeks. Years past, at the Marriott, Longboard’s (the casual beach side restaurant) was between acceptable to pretty freaking awful. Last October (2022) went with a big group of friends, and the Marriott stepped up the game! Both restaurants at the Marriott are really good now, so if you want to walk over there, it’s worth a look.
Last trip, we had a minivan car rental. I had just had a very bad herniated disc, so I was a bit limited in my mobility (thankfully I am doing much better and even working out with a trainer again!). We used the van TWICE. Well, 3 times. Getting to the resort, once to Costco (what a waste of time, I was struggling to walk and riding in the van was painful) and back to resort. Okay maybe once more 4 of the men used it to go deep sea fishing for a day. DH and I next time won’t bother; we’ve seen what we want and just enjoy the resort.
I discovered Instacart (I know you say about smart phones and all, but it is amazing and worth it!). You can order from Costco (cheap booze) and Target (good prices, not much different than my home), and have it all delivered to the resort.
I have a son (young adult now so not joining next trip) who loves sushi. He is not a cheap date! His (and our) favorite nearby sushi place is Sushi Bay in Kapolei. When I lived there it was Genki Sushi, which isn’t bad, but Sushi Bay has larger pieces and their spicy tuna or spicy salmon is the bomb. Next trip I’d Uber there (so far they are not on DoorDash).
I also took my 2 kids plus my niece in 2019, and we did party platters from Genki (feeding 3 kids in their early 20’s is a challenge lol).
Charley’s taxi had a flat rate from HNL to the resort, so that is an option then if you want to rent a car a bit you can.
Even living there, never done the shrimp trucks. Also never hiked Diamond Head. No appeal for me though I am very physically fit (as I can be).
Agree to be cautious anywhere you park; do NOT leave anything in your car, and if you are going to put something in the trunk, do it before you head out!

Hey happymommy,

Thank you for your wonderful advice. It should also be very useful to kateandy08096.

I know, I'm really old school when it comes to cell phones. I've been injured while rock/ mountain climbing twice, and both times I refused to have my much, younger partner use his cell to call for help and place anybody else in danger. I wasn't going to die either time. We very-slowly made it down to the car before heading to a hospital to have my injuries checked out. But you're right I now feel left out not having the convenience one offers whether it's keeping up on the news, opening our resort door at WDW (we still use old magic bands) or for making all kinds of reservations, checking out menus etc.

Based on your comments, I'm leaning on just taking a taxi to the "Vive Hotel Waikiki" when we arrive at HNL before our cruise and to Aulani from HNL when we return to Honolulu. I've had the experience of renting an expensive car (ins. was ridiculous) at the Cork, Ireland airport and then ending up parking it under our apartment in Killarney for almost our entire time there. We'll also look into using Instacart for beer and groceries and the two restaurants at the Marriot Ko Olina Beach Club. Again, thanks for the tips.

Uber/Lyft is definitely a great way to get to/from the airport. Don’t forget that if you do rent a car, you’ll also have to pay the nightly parking - although the Vice hotel charges the lowest nightly parking of any hotel in the area, it’s still $25 per night.

Some recommendations from a semi-local (10 year resident, and 30 years of annual visits to family on Oahu):
* shave ice at Uncle Clay’s, KokoNuts, or Waiola Shave ice
* near Aulani, Broke da mouth Grindz for local food
* tons of chef owned restaurants around Waikiki for elevated dining - explore Yelp, and don’t settle for an ‘OK’ restaurant - you’ll be missing out!
* Malasadas at Leonard’s Bekery on Kapahulu. Only!
* Hike Diamond Head on a Saturday morning, and then go to the farmers market across the street for lunch and take home treats

what, in your opinion is the best luau on the island?

Uber/Lyft is definitely a great way to get to/from the airport. Don’t forget that if you do rent a car, you’ll also have to pay the nightly parking - although the Vice hotel charges the lowest nightly parking of any hotel in the area, it’s still $25 per night.

Some recommendations from a semi-local (10 year resident, and 30 years of annual visits to family on Oahu):
* shave ice at Uncle Clay’s, KokoNuts, or Waiola Shave ice
* near Aulani, Broke da mouth Grindz for local food
* tons of chef owned restaurants around Waikiki for elevated dining - explore Yelp, and don’t settle for an ‘OK’ restaurant - you’ll be missing out!
* Malasadas at Leonard’s Bekery on Kapahulu. Only!
* Hike Diamond Head on a Saturday morning, and then go to the farmers market across the street for lunch and take home treats
I strongly second the rec for Broke da mouth Grindz. They just opened their Kapolei location when I went last month and it was the owner and one other person working there so it was a little slow despite us being 3rd in line after showing up 15 minutes before opening, but they're so friendly and really pack the food in the boxes. They don't show it on the menu, but you can buy a plate lunch with three of the items on the menu if you wanted to try a variety. Everything we ate there was a winner.

I also recommend the Kaka'ako Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. The ceviche at Da Seafood Cartel and the duck noodles at Youpo Noodles were my favorites but lots of other amazing choices there too and you can visit the Ala Moana Mall to try their food court. Also if you wanted to try Giovanni's Shrimp, they have a brick and mortar location at the H Mart near here.

For the North Shore shrimp trucks, we loved Jenny's Shrimp, which is not only very delicious but the parking there is free and easy. I did think it was better compared to Giovanni's. In the same food truck area as Giovanni's which is a minute away, there is a fruit stand called Haleiwa Fruit Shack and we got their fruit variety bowl and a coconut and both were so good, though parking may be difficult and they charge $2 in cash to park. There's also another shrimp truck next to Giovanni's called Honos which I didn't try but heard may also be better than Giovanni's and they sell other Korean food if someone in your group doesn't like shrimp. Also on your way back to Aulani is Paalaa Kai Bakery where they have puffies, which is layers of custard and puff pastry with lots of powdered sugar on top. Those puffies were delicious but they don't travel well and are best eaten immediately. However, any of their packages of cookies were also amazing and you can take some back home to enjoy.

If you're going to be all the way up there anyways, Da Bald Guy in Kuhuku has a pan fried poke plate that was so good. We also had their shrimp and it was good, but I did find Jenny's Shrimp to be better.

If you're going to spend a day on the windward side, I also highly recommend visiting the Ho'omaluhia Botanical Garden. It is free and the views are stunning. The plants by the visitor center are interesting, then drive out to the very end of the garden and take pictures there and have a picnic on their tables. I also recommend driving further out to visit Kailua Beach. I haven't been able to make it out to Lanikai which I heard is even more beautiful, but the water was the bluest and the sand was the whitest and softest at Kailua compared to anywhere else I've been to on the island.

Heading back to Aulani in a few days!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter