Alternative to Storybook at Artist Point?

flav

Loving My Ears
I have eaten at most character meals (except GG and SB at AP) and at many TS restaurants at WDW.
I wanted to try SB at AP on my next trip as a celebratory meal but find it very expensive with mixed reviews on the food.

I am looking for a cheaper dinner alternative that:
  • Has some kind of theme,
  • Tastes good but serves simple food,
  • Is a sit down restaurant with service (not a buffet or a cafeteria),
  • Doesn’t have an equal or better QS option,
  • Preferably is not at Disney Springs i.e. easily accessible from a park.
So far, I have Liberty Tree Tavern, Whispering Canyon and Coral Reef. Which of these three would you pick and why? Would you have another one better than these?

Have only been to WCC for breakfast and it is a favorite we eat there every trip no matter where we are staying. We have done lunch at LTT and really enjoy it. They have the a la carte menu or the platter to choose from. We have done both lunch and dinner at Coral Reef and really like it there as well.

I'd vote for LTT. Interesting theme, relaxed atmosphere, menu prices that won't beat you up too bad, and large portions if you want to split plates. Plus it's just good american classic food.

We really enjoy WCC. The food is very good, IMHO, the resort is gorgeous and it just has a really fun atmosphere. Coral Reef is nice as well. Different from WCC in that it's quite serene, IMHO. If you want something with a great theme and simple food, perhaps consider Sci-Fi as well?

From what I read, there is no option for dinner at LTT, everyone gets the platter automatically and cannot share i.e it is not possible to order two platters for three people. I agree that otherwise it would be our best option location and theme wise. Is anyone very fond of that platter or is the dinner skillet at WCC better?

WCC is tempting but going to WL I might see SB at AP and have some regret.

I eliminated SciFi because it is not possible to interact with the rest of the party which is important to me for a celebration meal. I love their fried pickles though.

Also eliminated 50s as someone had trouble digesting the food the last time we were there. Probably just bad luck or finicky stomach but it is a fun venue that I would still recommend.

Short list remains LTT, WCC and CR for now. I am still torn and I am opened to suggestions!

You are correct about LTT. It's one, family-style platter and there are no other menu options. You will be charged a "per-person" price. It cannot be shared. At WCC, you will have your choice of platters (which, also, cannot be shared, you will be charged "per person" if more than one person orders a platter), plus an a la carte menu, so there are more options. You can't really see AP from WCC (yes, it's in the same building) and, if you arrive by boat, you will walk past it. If that bothers you, perhaps choose Coral Reef.

Other thoughts - Biergarten? If you have a big enough party (8 or more), you will be seated at your own table. A character meal other than Storybook - perhaps 1900 Park Fare? Even Trail's End could be fun - we love visiting Ft. W and going to the stables.

Yep, I seemed to have missed the part that it was for dinner. Though I might throw Skippers Canteen in the mix for a suggestion. Interesting/Fun theme, no QS equivalent, Pricing is pretty standard, and while it sounds exotic, is still Beef, Fish, Chicken etc. with some twists.

Coral Reef is nice as well. Different from WCC in that it's quite serene, IMHO. \

Seriously? That has got to be the loudest restaurant I've ever been in in my life! I've given it 3 shots now and I'm always sooo disappointed that such a beautiful place is totally ruined by the roar of clanking silverware and loud talking. It could be so nice.

Out of that list I think I'd pick Whispering Canyon. We finally did Coral Reef on our last trip and weren't blown away. It's definitely a pricier option and it's deceiving that there's not many tables giving you a great view of the aquarium. I'm sure you can request something close to the windows but it may prolong your wait. For the price, the food was just ok and we've had much better meals in the price range at places like Jiko or even Ohana. Liberty Tree was fine but the Turkey and sides reminded me of cafeteria food. Nothing to write home about. If you like classic American faire, it could be a good option. Might be worth it just for the ooey gooey toffee cake.

I'd pick WCC. We had one of our best meals there, with great service. And WL is just gorgeous...it's kind of the epitome of a Disney themed hotel.

We have done WCC & LTT and I would pick LTT. The theme is different and the food selections were really good. I recall being sick after eating at WCC in the past.

Have you eaten at the Grand Floridian Cafe? It’s often overlooked, and is one restaurant that we make sure to hit every trip. (My profile picture is a mini-dessert plate that they gave us when we were there for our anniversary.)

So far, I have Liberty Tree Tavern, Whispering Canyon and Coral Reef. Which of these three would you pick and why? Would you have another one better than these?
Thank you @angelmav and @DisneyWishes14 for the suggestions.

Biergarten, Trail End and Skipper Canteen are good ideas and I have never tried them. The location of SC is particularly appealing.

Liberty Tree is a good option. We prefer lunch for the varied menu but dinner is fine. Each room has a different theme and the "artifacts" are interesting. I think folks miss most the nice touches there. Location is great.

Whispering Canyon is an experience and the hotel gorgeous, but if you are in a park that is lots of lost time.

Coral Reef ..... done enough to know I won't go back. I can't pay those prices and continue to get bad food, it is slow to be seated, extremely loud and odds of a good view are small. And when we were by the glass we were being bumped and pushed by kids. You expect due to the tank, fish and dimmer it would be a peaceful meal but it is completely the opposite.

Biergarten is great. Varied enough buffet with yummy desserts, entertainment, highly imagineered surroundings and always had good servers. We really enjoy it. Some don't like the seating but we've had all kinds of variations and always been fine.

Trails End. Haven't been because the time lost is way too much. Heard folks say it's a great value and they have enjoyed it.

Skipper Canteen. Food is different, sides are bland which is strange as entrees are creative and the portions not large. The small rooms are very cool but the large room feels like and is loud like a food court. We have never had a server that really did the antics so that's a bummer.

PS We enjoyed the Artist Point dinner and the characters were great. We honestly enjoyed every part but it was a bit loud with the announcements for DS (who is disabled and human noise is an issue). I did a review after on here.

Last edited:
Liberty Tree Tavern is on my bucket list for a future trip when I'm not going on a party night.

We had lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe on our last trip and we all enjoyed it. I would eat there again in a heartbeat.

Liberty Tree Tavern for us. It was our favorite meal on our last trip and the first meal I booked for our upcoming trip.

Would you consider any of the restaurants at the Swan or Dolphin? Not hard to get to from Epcot/HS, AAA discount, quieter...just a thought. I second the suggestion for Skipper Canteen and are looking forward to trying Biergarten in a few months. So those would be my choices.

Biergarten has a wide variety of tasty food and the show is very entertaining. Also so many delicious desserts!! You really get your money's worth. If I did LTT I would have lunch. We were pleased with the lunch selections and quality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!