Alright tech heads, can someone explain the difference between the Apple TVs to me?

Princess Jes

DIS Veteran
Im looking at getting an Apple TV and have been waiting for them to release pricing and release dates for the new one, but I'm still confused about what the differences are that make the original AUD$109 and the new one AUD$269

I know the new one will have gaming, but that's not a selling point for me.

Also, our access to certain things on Apple TV are probably restricted because apparently living in Australia is similar to living on Mars in terms of availability of things.

So, can someone who is into/across this stuff please explain to me why I should spend more than double the money on the new version?

The ATV has a new remote. It adds two things. A touch pad area, which makes it easy to move the cursor around the screen. Much better navigation.

The remote also has a voice input. Which makes searching waaaay easier. Boinking around the alphabet screen to enter letters is not my favorite pass time.

Plus Siri (whether you like her or not) understands commands. Fast forward, skip back. Granted, I haven't tried it. But assuming it works as they say it will, this will be the easiest remote to use. Especially when it's too dark to see the keys on a normal remote.

I'm not sure about all the apps that will eventually show up. But I think the remote alone is worth the upgrade. If you're not going to be a big game player, you should be fine with the 32 GB model.

So navigation and s remote is the biggest change?
I'm not sure I can justify it for an additional $150 when the older one is only $109 to begin with.

If you're
So navigation and s remote is the biggest change?
I'm not sure I can justify it for an additional $150 when the older one is only $109 to begin with.

If you're not also interested in gaming, I think so.

But hey, who'd take advice from a Toad?

Hmmm, I'm definitely in the gaming camp (casual, none of the headsets playing COD online) but I have a WiiU and we have a PS3
I'm also in the "buy the latest apple product, never an older generation one, because they date after that" camp.

What baffles me is: why bring out a 16GB phone but not a 16gb ATV?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter