Alligator Roadkill Was Just The Beginning!!! Updated 2nd May!!

Aussiesalad

Totes Mcgoats

Alligator Roadkill Was Just The Beginning!!- Four Friends And A Warrthawwwg =
No Sleep All Teeth!!

Hello there! My name is Sally and I am a long time listener first time caller and I am glued to the boards in an unhealthy way (as most of us are) but I have yet to attempt a trip report. Well that's all about to change as I lay down what happened to us on the most insane road trip that "sounded like a good idea at first".

We drove from Northern California to Orlando in one breath!
That's right kids no stops except gas (and trust falls)
When we reached the other side of this great land called America we saw and conquered the World YAY!
We also saw Universal WOO! Had the best week of our lives HOORAY!! And then drove back home (boo hiss!)

It doesnt sound too crazy- but when I throw in moth city, tornado alerts, snake attacks in the happy place, caffeine meltdowns on the side of the road and of course dead alligators& things start to get interesting!
I would also like to clarify that by non-stop we mean it!!
There is noooo sleeping in Disney, but there is also noooo sleeping on the way to Disney either apparently!

So let's start with intros.
This is me
salhat.jpg

I am a born and bred Aussie. I work at one of Australias largest childrens performing arts institutes for a living and I love my job in awkward amounts. I honestly get so much joy from day to day work its a little crazy. I even get to go to Disney as part of my job, which is such a drag :cool1:
I also love rollerskating, markets, musical theatre and plastic flamingos...I do love other things including Disney (obviously) and the hubby Josh but that's a given. Josh is American so we lived in California for 3 years and now we are back in Australia- and in that time we went to Disneyland 10 times and disneyworld twice. We also adopted an obese show cat, got married in Vegas by Elvis, and drove across the whole country non stop=this trip report.

Favourite Park- Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
Favourite Ride- Splash Mountain
Favourite Disney Food- Mexican Nachos
Favourite Disney Movies- Aladdin, Tangled and Pete's Dragon
Favourite Songs- 'Little Town'- Beauty and the Beast and 'It's Not Easy' from Pete's Dragon

Next is Josh
josh4.jpg

This is my husband Josh- he is the apple of my eye, but better...the chocolate of my eye? The mickey bar of my eye? :love:
He loves Disney ,but not in an obsessive way like me (well all of us on here) he enjoys it when we go, he let's me talk about it non stop and even gives the obligatory nods and mmms when I tell him about new exciting facts and hidden mickeys etc. He even recently found and put on one DVD all the abc family specials when all the shows went to the world, you know like Full House and Boy Meets World and even Rosanne (ehh it was Disney, I watched but didn't love it)
Just so i could have a marathon night and watch them all at once. So he is pretty special in my book :goodvibes
He proposed to me at Disneyland (good work Josh) and we have been married for two years. He works as a bicycle mechanic and loves all things bicycle related-bicycles are his Disney you could say.

Favourite Disney park- Epcot
Favourite Ride- Thunder Mountain
Favourite Disney Food- Pizza from Pizza planet
Favourite disney movie- Toy Story Series
Fav disey character- Buzz Lightyear
Favourite Disney song Youve Got A Friend In Me

Next is Bek
bek1.jpg

Bek is one of my best friends in the whole world and she gets me in all my insanity. We met when we were in the musical Fame about 6 years ago and we clicked straight away! So when she rang and said she was coming to visit me in California I knew we would have the most amazing time. She is one of the most creative and talented people I know and she is a blast. She is just the kind of friend you can spend endless amounts of time together still have stuff to talk about. Plus she gets all gooey at nostalgic stuff so I knew she would be quickly converted to the ways of Walt.

Favourite Ride - Expedition Everest and Splash Mountain
Favourite Park - Magic Kingdom
Favourite Food - frozen choc bananas!
Favourite Movie - Alice in Wonderland
Favourite Songs - I'll Make A Man Out Of You and Kiss The Girl

Last but not least we have Tim
tim1.jpg

Last but not least is Tim. Tim is one of joshs old work friends and he is pretty amazing, he can laugh in any situation and he always makes people feel good about themselves. He is hilarious on so many levels! AND Tim loves Disney almost to an obsessive stage so you know he is a winner. He is the sweetest guy that you could never stay mad at (even when almost got us detained at Border Patrol in texas)He also knows all the words to all the Disney songs and a zillion musical songs which means he makes a freaking awesome car singing partner-which was essential for this trip!!

Favourite Disney Park- Animal Kingdom
Favourite Disney character-Alice
Favourite Disney Movie-Alice in Wonderland
Favourite Song- Thats How You Know- Enchanted
Favourite food- PICKLES! (Tim is obsessed with Disney pickles and its hilarious!
I swear I have about a million pictures of him with Disney pickles!)

So this trip came out of a joke and a few random conversations and I couldn't be happier that it did. It was the most spontaneous,caffeinated, glorious trip to WDW in the most hilarious fashion with 3 of my favourite people in the whole world!! We had the absolute best time on our trip and had SOOO many insane things happened that I can't wait to share it!

Alrighty lets get on with the show! :banana:

Chapter Links

Chapter One- 40 Cliff Bars, A Concerned Boss And Moth City

Chapter Two-Wallets On The Car Roof And The Beginning Of A Caffeine Romance

Chapter Three-Please Get Out Of The Car And Place Your Hands Where I Can See Them"

Chapter Four- How To Terrify A Truck Driver And Realllly Test Your Brakes!!

Chapter Five- THE Most Awkward Bathroom Experience And Trust Falls!

Chapter Six- A Shower Raffle And I AM GOING TO DIE!!!!

Chapter Seven- We Are Here!!!!! Or Are We??

Real Life Update #1

Chapter Eight- Park Day One- Why Hello Disnepworld!!!

Chapter Nine- Give Me Back My glasses Space Mountain!!! And Fireworks- Tennis Style

Chapter Ten - The Hidden Dangers Of Club Cool And Napping On Rides 101

Chapter Eleven - Catch That Mongoose and Awkward Interactions Anonymous plus Real Life Update #2

Chapter Twelve- Making Enemies along the Kali River and Hit Me With Your Pet Shark

Chapter Thirteen- Hey Kids, Look At This Here Warrrrrrrrrtttthaaaawwwwwwwwwwggggg!!!!!!!

Chapter Fourteen- Breakdown City And Another Old Man Friend To Add To The List

Chapter Fifteen- Jeans Are A Fantastic Choice And The Stupidest Map Reading Error Of All Time!!

Chapter Sixteen- The Best Way To Start A Universal Studios Day Is With A Hearty (accidental) Hike!

Chapter Seventeen- Where Is My Shoe??? And OUR HEADS ARE EXPLODINGGGGG!!!

Chapter Eighteen- How To Kiss A Cow and How Not To Flirt

Real Life Update- Not Dead!

I found your trip report from a comment you posted over on Lia's thread. I mean, seriously, there was NO WAY I could resist an alligator AND a warthawwwg!

I totally agree that a great singalong partner is essential for a successful cross-country car trip!

Great start...I'm hooked!

I found your trip report from a comment you posted over on Lia's thread. I mean, seriously, there was NO WAY I could resist an alligator AND a warthawwwg!

I totally agree that a great singalong partner is essential for a successful cross-country car trip!

Great start...I'm hooked!

Hooray!! And Welcome!! :goodvibes

Hahaha! Exactly, who could resist a dead alligator and a warrrrthawwwwg!? Always a winner:thumbsup2

Yes! That is the number one requirement of any roadtripping partner. If you're not singing along obnoxiously loudly...your not coming with us!

Chapter One- 40 Cliff Bars, A Concerned Boss And Moth City

As I previously mentioned this trip was very spontaneous. So there is no real chapter about the plans, no PTR or story of how it came about. All that happened is one day I said to Josh as a joke "Let's drive across America non-stop all the way to Disneyworld!!" I was actually joking BUT the hubs agreed, Bek and Tim agreed and that's the end of the story. Thrilling I know.
However because this conversation/joke was about 2 weeks out from our trip and I had only been to WDW once before in my life, I made some rookie mistakes.
We stayed offsite (I am sorry)
We had no dining reservations (really sorry)
And we hardly took any pictures of food! (REALLY SORRY)
Since then I have seen the error of my ways but I understand if this offends many of you and I am ready to do some groveling.
So this is wonderful mode of transport- Betsy-
carfish.jpg

Being the avid planner I am, even with not much prep time I made and laminated a driving schedule for our departure. We planned to leave at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon with the intention of getting there around 6am on the Tuesday morning. Google maps put the distance at around 45hrs so I divided that into chunks of 4hour shifts so each person would get a 12 hour break between each shift I also added meal and potty breaks generously throughout. I showed my plan to my boss at the time, she had a look of shock and horror plastered on her face, she asked me if I needed to borrow some money to buy plane tickets, she then asked about 100 times if it was humanly possible....then told me should would be texting me hourly to ensure I was still alive.
So yes we did plan to drive non-stop and yes it did sound like a great idea at the time... It sounded exciting and crazy and adventurous and glamourous!!! HOWEVER we all know what they say about the best laid plans.
So long home town!
walnutcreek.jpg

Josh took the first shift and started getting carsick within the first 2 hours-this is still a mystery as it happens very rarely, so this was his ONE AND ONLY shift until the very end. To top it off we were already looking...well very car-ish? ick
car.jpg

But at least we were on our way?
drive.jpg

So Josh got us four hours into the trip down to southern California which is where I took over. Now being the night owl I am, I absolutely LOVE driving especially in the middle of the night. I actually get a real rush from the music and the night air and if I have singalong buddies(which I did) it’s even better!!! So I started driving us into Arizona...not realizing that I would be sole driver for the next few days. We were fairly jolly at first, we had stopped at Costco and got a massive pack on cliff bars and luna bars, we had enough bottled water to ummm build a fortress of water bottles? For some reason we didn't pack any other food?
Whenever I had thought about the roadtrip previously I pictured a movie type montage with all of us laughing and driving through big open fields singing along to our favourite songs, with our cameras poised for adventures that awaited and our hearts held high.
Ha!:rotfl:
We got as far as Arizona before we realized, maybe we (or at least I)should have planned this better.
Our second stop after 8yrs of driving non stop was a gas station that will always be dear in our hearts- moth city it was named, due to the fact when you stepped our of the car the air was not actually air, but a carpet of moths. There was literally moths everywhere, not regular moths either, I am talking about massive, personal space invading, killer moths!:eek: Well maybe not killer…but it definitely seemed like an old school horror movie scene at that gas station. As soon as we left the car they got in our hair, our mouths, up our noses, in our ears. We screamed, the boys even louder than the girls, and then we dove straight back in the car and hastily picked moths off ourselves. We then "scissor paper rocked" for who would be the brave soul to stand outside the car and fill it up with gas. I lost. Yes I did breathe in about 3000 moths and spent the next portion of the drive picking moth remains out of my hair. And To this day I still believe my skin is coated with a fine layer of moth.

Next up: Wallets On The Car Roof And The Beginning Of A Caffeine Romance

This looks like it's going to be a GREAT trip report, what an adventure! Signing on.

I got to work in Sydney (actually North Sydney, but stayed in Sydney) for 3 weeks back in 1989, loved it.

I love to drive at night, too, and have enjoyed many fun road trips; but I don't know if I'm brave enough to embark on a non-stop, cross-country trek. Kudos to you!

Moth City sounds scary! Sure, they look like butterflies...that's why they're so dangerous! SO glad you guys made it out alive!

So in! This seems like it will be a fun one. I love that you called Josh the Mickey Bar of your eye. That is the cutest thing I have ever heard. And your life sounds fun. Especially the obese show cat part.

Can't wait for more!!

This looks like it's going to be a GREAT trip report, what an adventure! Signing on.

I got to work in Sydney (actually North Sydney, but stayed in Sydney) for 3 weeks back in 1989, loved it.

Welcome! Happy to have you along :goodvibes It really was an adventure!!

That's so cool- I am glad you enjoyed it, it's a beautiful city... just not close enough to Disneyworld ;)

I love to drive at night, too, and have enjoyed many fun road trips; but I don't know if I'm brave enough to embark on a non-stop, cross-country trek. Kudos to you!

Moth City sounds scary! Sure, they look like butterflies...that's why they're so dangerous! SO glad you guys made it out alive!

Night driving is the best!!! It just feels so much more fun, everyone is going to bed and you're going out to have an adventure!
Haha it was fairly crazy, it was SO fun though! You just need willing insane friends and a truckload of caffeine :lmao:

Moth city was horrible!!! That is exactly why they are dangerous, they woo you into a false sense of security with their butterfly similarities and then BAM

So in! This seems like it will be a fun one. I love that you called Josh the Mickey Bar of your eye. That is the cutest thing I have ever heard. And your life sounds fun. Especially the obese show cat part.

Can't wait for more!!
Welcome!!! I promise that fun will be had!

Awh thanks, he really is :love:

Your life sounds ridiculously fun too!
I work in a performing arts institute and I know how hard it is to actually go out and work as a actress/performer/anything in the arts- so I really admire what you are doing!

This one is for you, This is Monty

monty.jpg

Welcome!!! I promise that fun will be had!

Awh thanks, he really is :love:

Your life sounds ridiculously fun too!
I work in a performing arts institute and I know how hard it is to actually go out and work as a actress/performer/anything in the arts- so I really admire what you are doing!

This one is for you, This is Monty

monty.jpg

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! I LOVE HIM!!! Omg. OMG. I wish I could pet him right now!

And that is really, really sweet of you to say. :hug: Yes, it's very hard! Sigh. But I have to just keep swimming, just keep swimming.... :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter