Allergy rooms?

leebee

DIS Veteran
I have a friend who has severe asthma and is very sensitive to cleaning products; it sends her asthma into overdrive. This could become a problem while staying in a hotel, especially during Covid. Does WDW have any "dedicated" allergen-free rooms, or can you ask them to clean with specific products to reduce allergy and asthmatic reactions?

I have a friend who has severe asthma and is very sensitive to cleaning products; it sends her asthma into overdrive. This could become a problem while staying in a hotel, especially during Covid. Does WDW have any "dedicated" allergen-free rooms, or can you ask them to clean with specific products to reduce allergy and asthmatic reactions?
You can request an allergy cleaning for the room. We have done this for my son twice now.

I think she's going to call the resort and discuss it with them directly, but it's good to know that they can provide special cleaning services- thanks!

We’ve done the VIP cleaning a couple of times. First time, we had the very first trip where my son didn’t need his inhaler. It was really great. They also will use natural cleaners like vinegar instead of chemicals (and second time, housekeeping left us a bunch of extra towels that had been laundered without fragrance). It is worth it for someone with asthma or allergies.

They do not have dedicated rooms, but they can do a special cleaning of the room depending on the person's specific needs [eg using fragrance-free cleaners, fragrance-free detergent and extra rinse for linens and towels, etc].

The place to contact is Disney's Disability Services:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/
Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com

If they are not exactly the right place they will refer you to the specific department who is.

If you search "Allergy Cleaning" or "VIP Cleaning" on the boards you will get more information. Also, posting in the Disabilities section of the boards may get you some additional information.

Also, depending on the person's specific allergies, give consideration to the room choice. For example, we have found we do much better in the rooms that have hardwood-like floors vs the ones with wall-to-wall carpeting. Fortunately for us, as Disney renovates their rooms they are moving towards the hardwood-style flooring :-)

ETA: A few things to keep in mind:

When you make the request it is best to frame it exactly as you did... the guest has severe asthma and is very sensitive to many cleaning products, and are concerned about the products that are used, particularly with covid; you are therefore wondering if it is possible for the room to be cleaned with products that are not as likely to cause problems.... And then be prepared to explain what that means [e.g. no fragrances; no bleach; if there are certain products that are a specific known problem, etc].

Also, know that if they do the special cleaning you are pretty much stuck with the room, as the cleaning can take hours to do. So, if you don't like the location or view of the room you are assigned, you can't get a new room. Also, they room probably won't be ready early, and may even be ready later than normal checkin, again due to the time it takes to clean it, so be prepared for that possibility.

Finally, if you do make a medical request for a room [which the allergy cleanings are], when you get to the resort and check in, **go to the front desk and verify the request is being implemented** even if you have 'direct to the room' checkin and would normally be able to bypass the front desk. For our last stay, in December 2019 [a split stay around a DCL cruise, with both pre and post WDW hotel stays], there were communication errors between Disability Services and the hotels such that the hotels did not receive the request. Since we are Canadian we had to do actual checkin at the front desk anyway, **but if I had not specifically asked about the medical request* the hotel would not have known and it would not have been implemented. Even for our post stay, where the pre-stay hotel sent a new request directly to the post-stay hotel, there were communication problems. This can also be a problem if a well-meaning CM tries to give you a room location change [such as for a better location or to get you into a room earlier] or pixie-dust room upgrade not having read the reservation notes thoroughly to realize that the room you were assigned is getting the medical cleaning. So, advocate for yourself and proactively ASK to make sure the request was received and is being implemented *for the room you are being given*. And plan that if it has gone sideways it can take some time at the front desk to sort out -- for our December stay it was OVER AN HOUR at the front desk.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if you request an allergy clean if they switch out the air con filters? I’ve just returned and I don’t react to chemicals but do to pets, pollens and moulds. Was definitely worse in the room needed my inhaler more and coughing ++ (not Covid I’d did lat flow and these are my usual asthma symptoms).
Would be useful to know for next time.

Does anyone know if you request an allergy clean if they switch out the air con filters? I’ve just returned and I don’t react to chemicals but do to pets, pollens and moulds. Was definitely worse in the room needed my inhaler more and coughing ++ (not Covid I’d did lat flow and these are my usual asthma symptoms).
This is a really good point. I’m going to look into this.

If you find yourself in that spot again while in the room put in a request for maintenance to come and change the filter. I would make the request with the front desk directly so you don’t get some rep at the call center giving you the runaround for the unusual request.

I understand safety for pets during hurricanes but the recent Hotel & Resort policies announced … plus guests that sneak their pets into rooms creates a problem for humans .
I-have been told the policy is to place pets in ground floor for access to daily walks and their “ needs” .
Iusually request upperfloor for my human needs . I am not aware of allergy but I can not breathe in rooms that have had pets . This makes it impossible to sleep especially since Disney has removed ceiling fans and small vacuum cleaners in rooms . I am probably the only guest that has ever vacuumed the room Haha .
Anyway I will respect pet owners and only ask for the same consideration .
And believe some corporations adopted this policy years ago for the money (SWA) …

We stopped asking for VIP cleaning and now opt for location since DD will still react to heavy foliage and trees outside the door. She also has a level 4 dog allergy, so we try to avoid pet hotels. It’s difficult, because we love FW. Then there’s the carpet. We had to start bringing our own air purifier.

When we stayed at BC in May, she had a horrible reaction to the carpet. I assumed the room would have LVP like the 1 bedroom unit we had previously stayed in before - wrong! The only thing I could think of was mold from continuous dampness due to SAB.

Apparently there are different "levels" of VIP cleaning. I've seen a recommendation that when requesting one for allergy issues, to also include specifics of what you'd like done -- such as replace A/C filter, shampoo carpets, etc. That will help ensure you get the cleaning you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter