FL grandparents are allowed to buy FL resident tickets for their grandkids.
This is a long-time practice.
Interesting because the policy used to state...
Additional Information:
Florida Resident Tickets are only available to actual Florida Residents and cannot be purchased for out-of-state family or friends.
I will note this does not show on Disney's validation site currently.

Apologies if this has been answered, but I looked and looked and can't seem to find a definitive answer for my question.

If I purchase a 4 day ticket with park hopper and in a month or so, decide I want to have a 5 day ticket, can I call and upgrade my ticket and pay the difference? This would be approximately 100 days before my visit and before the 60 day fastpass window.
I've read heaps about upgrading your ticket once you're in Orlando, but what about months out from your arrival?

It seems pretty obvious to me that I would be able to do it as Disney is locking me in for more days (and money), but someone has told me I can only do it once I've used my first day ticket, which seems crazy. Surely it is in Disney's best interest to lock me into more days as soon as possible, seeing as you can't "downgrade".

I'm keeping an eye on free dining and if it becomes available for our Sept dates, I'll buy the minimum ticket option to secure it. But as we haven't solidified our plans yet (it's 6 months away!!), I want the option of being able to add more days to our tickets if we decide to.

TIA

If I purchase a 4 day ticket with park hopper and in a month or so, decide I want to have a 5 day ticket,
1. can I call and upgrade my ticket and pay the difference? This would be approximately 100 days before my visit and before the 60 day fastpass window.
2. I've read heaps about upgrading your ticket once you're in Orlando, but what about months out from your arrival?

3. It seems pretty obvious to me that I would be able to do it as Disney is locking me in for more days (and money), but
4. someone has told me I can only do it once I've used my first day ticket, which seems crazy.

5. I'm keeping an eye on free dining and if it becomes available for our Sept dates, I'll buy the minimum ticket option to secure it. But as we haven't solidified our plans yet (it's 6 months away!!), I want the option of being able to add more days to our tickets if we decide to.

TIA

1. If you buy stand-alone ticket (NOT part of a Resort Package) directly from Disney, SOMETIMES you can do the upgrade over the phone.
If you buy from any of the authorized ticket discounters, you can't do the upgrade over the phone. It must be done in-person.

2. As in #1 above, SOMETIMES you can upgrade a stand-alone ticket bought from Disney over the phone.
3. Yes.
4. Using a ticket before upgrading it is not necessary.

5. Now, THAT is a completely OTHER situation:
If you are buying tickets as part of a Resort Package (and Free Dining requires a Resort Package,) You WILL be able to upgrade THOSE tickets over he phone in advance of your trip.

Last edited:
Love this thread, thanks so much for all of your hard work...!

I have a ticket upgrade question that I cannot find the answer to. Here is the scenario:

My daughter and I are heading to WDW in May. I have an AP but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a room/ticket package through a travel agent that includes one 3-day PH ticket for her. This ticket also includes "1 FUN option" as a bonus that we don't care about using. She has decided to upgrade to an AP when we get to WDW. My questions are:

1) Does it matter when we decide to do the upgrade (before first use, last day, etc.)
2) Will this interfere with her fastpass selections at all?
2) Since the ticket was included in a package I don't know the actual "price" of it, but will Disney know?
4) What should I expect to pay for the upgrade to a Platinum Pass?
5) Will the "1 FUN" option screw this up at all?
6) Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks!

My daughter and I are heading to WDW in May. I have an AP but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a room/ticket package through a travel agent that includes one 3-day PH ticket for her. This ticket also includes "1 FUN option" as a bonus that we don't care about using. She has decided to upgrade to an AP when we get to WDW. My questions are:

1) Does it matter when we decide to do the upgrade (before first use, last day, etc.)
2) Will this interfere with her fastpass selections at all?
3) Since the ticket was included in a package I don't know the actual "price" of it, but will Disney know?
4) What should I expect to pay for the upgrade to a Platinum Pass?
5) Will the "1 FUN" option screw this up at all?
6) Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks!
1) No. (But, I'd do the upgrade the first day you get there.)
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) That may depend on the date that your package ticket was "minted" (printed)
and you have no way of knowing that.
5) It won't if you DON'T USE IT.
6) This can be tricky, due to #4 above.

Question about buying a FL gold pass for an out of state grandchild. (I suppose this would be applicable in any fl AP purchase scenario)

If the fl resident grandparent is present at purchase, can it be bought as a voucher then activated later without the grandparent present? Or must it be activated at the time of purchase, if the grandparent won't be present at another time?

Question about buying a FL gold pass for an out of state grandchild. (I suppose this would be applicable in any fl AP purchase scenario)

If the fl resident grandparent is present at purchase, can it be bought as a voucher then activated later without the grandparent present? Or must it be activated at the time of purchase, if the grandparent won't be present at another time?

In general, the FL resident should be present upon first entry.

We booked a bounce back offer last September for a stay this coming December that is a package at the Polynesian with 6 days tickets and free dining. We were not planning on going to Disney before then, but now we have a trip planned in April and in June. We have 4 day tickets for April, and it makes sense to upgrade those to APs for our June trip...but what can I do about the tickets for December? Is it possible to save those for a later date, or do the tickets have to be used during that reservation? If we have to we will cancel that package and re-book as room only, but we would prefer not to have to lose our free dining if possible. Any insight for me?

We booked a bounce back offer last September for a stay this coming Decemberwith 6 days tickets and free dining. We were not planning on going to Disney before then, but now we have a trip planned in April and in June. We have 4 day tickets for April, and it makes sense to upgrade those to APs for our June trip...but what can I do about the tickets for December?
1. Is it possible to save those for a later date, or
2. do the tickets have to be used during that reservation?
1. Yes.
2. Nope.

In general, the FL resident should be present upon first entry.
Thanks, but I'm still confused about how the process actually works. You can activate the AP at a ticket window etc, right? Why would a fl resident need to be at the tapstiles if the ticket is already activated? And then, still wondering about it just being there at purchase (and not activating) will work.

Thanks, but I'm still confused about how the process actually works. You can activate the AP at a ticket window etc, right? Why would a fl resident need to be at the tapstiles if the ticket is already activated? And then, still wondering about it just being there at purchase (and not activating) will work.

You're right.

I posted an answer that is true of using FL Res. MYW tickets for the first time.

1) No. (But, I'd do the upgrade the first day you get there.)
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) That may depend on the date that your package ticket was "minted" (printed)
and you have no way of knowing that.
5) It won't if you DON'T USE IT.
6) This can be tricky, due to #4 above.
Thank you very much!

On the other hand, if the guest has been sent a ticket document that has a YELLOW background behind the barcode, and the instructions say to, "Go to a ticket window..."
The guest needs to take that document, along with a legal photo ID, to any ticket window or Guest Relations outside any park, or at TTC, or at Disney Springs.
At that time, the guest will be issued the actual usable RFID plastic ticket.

I have a ticket voucher purchased from LMT. I know I need to go to a ticket booth to redeem my cards. I have booked a throwaway campsite for our first day. We would also like to take advantage of EMH at AK on our first park day. My question is, will a ticket booth be open an hour before EMH starts at AK?

Does the clock start on an Annual Pass at "activation" (say at the TTC for example), or upon the first time the passholder actually enters a park? Thanks.

I stopped reading after 6 pages, so I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I have an old multi-day Disney ticket- the "never expires" kind. It has one water park admission left on it. Will Disney still honor this ticket? AFAIK, they should, but I can't figure out what Disney is actually doing anymore!
(We just decided to visit friends in Cocoa Beach this summer and I'm trying to figure out if we can afford to visit Disney on my birthday- 7/26. One day MK tickets are just too expensive, but if I still have a free water park admission, I'd pay for the other water park admission and do that... and maybe supper at Boma!)

I stopped reading after 6 pages, so I'm sorry if this has already been asked. I have an old multi-day Disney ticket- the "never expires" kind. It has one water park admission left on it. Will Disney still honor this ticket? AFAIK, they should, but I can't figure out what Disney is actually doing anymore!
(We just decided to visit friends in Cocoa Beach this summer and I'm trying to figure out if we can afford to visit Disney on my birthday- 7/26. One day MK tickets are just too expensive, but if I still have a free water park admission, I'd pay for the other water park admission and do that... and maybe supper at Boma!)
If you have a No Expiration ticket with one day of Water park admission on it, Disney will honor it. You can always call Ticketing to confirm the day, since it is the only day left on your ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter