Aldi's ?

ZPT1022

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>Dr
Okay so after seeing Aldi's mentioned here a ton of times I googled Aldi's, found their website and found that there is one in CT. Here's the question though. How good are their deals? Would you go there if it were 25-30 minutes away? Will I save enough to justify the drive? We're a family of five on one income so any help is great. Opinions appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Becky

I think the savings will justify the drive. 3 different types of yogurt are $.25 each, Macaroni & Beef (just like Chef Boyardee) is $.59 a can, large bags of chips (many different flavors) are $.99 each; Carl Budding type lunchmeat is $.39 a package (I think -- can't remember the exact price); Chocolate syrup is $.99; Bagels are $.99 a package; Spaghetti sauce is $.99 and $1.29; Applesauce is $.59 a jar; Tropical Fruit Cocktail is $.59 a can; cereal is $1.29 - $1.69 a box; Hot Dogs are $.59 - $1.69 a package and the list goes on and on. Give it a try and see!

I make a 25-30 min to drive to aldies 1 time a month, i only do shoping 1 time a month, make monthly meal plan so it saves me lots doing it that way!

It depends on how much you are going to buy. We are also a family of 5. So far we have enjoyed the food we buy there and I love the money we save.
I usually buy:
Cereal 1.69/box (elsewhere $3+)
Carrots .89 (elsewhere $1.99)
Hamburger Buns .55 (elsewhere $1.49)
Bread .45 (elsewhere $1.29)
Moo Tubes (like GoGurt) 1.69 (you get the point $2.29)
Milk 1.99/gallon ($3.49)
Salad .79 ($1.99)
Spag Sauce .99 ($1.49)
Bagels .99 ($2.49)
Apples 1.79/3 pounds ($1.59/1 pound)

Make a list of stuff you usually buy and how much it costs at your regular grocery store and take it with you. For example - I know I can buy shredded cheese cheaper on sale at my reg. place than the $2.69 it is at Aldi's. Happy shopping :)

I have to be honest. I went to Aldi's today for the first time and wasn't very impressed. I guess I was expecting more from reading these boards. I didn't find the prices that great, considering all the supermarkets around by me double up on the coupons. Also, the selection wasn't really much...at least at the store by me. 99% of the merchandise was a generic off-brand that wasn't much cheaper than the brand name bought in regular supermarkets. I wouldn't travel to it, IMO.

Are you talking about the Aldi's in Torrington? Don't know if that's the only one in the state. We shop there all the time, but it's close to us, so we don't think about it. Thier prices are good on many things, but it's hit or miss as to what they have. Certain things are very cheap, like milk, eggs, hamburger, fruits and vegies, bread. My personal favorite is the frozen concentrate lemon aide, wich we wouldn't buy anywhere else it's just too expensive. They also have good prices on junk food items like pretzels and chips (wich is why my wife hates for me to come shopping, the bill goes up!) Thier selection is not huge, but what they do have is inexpensive. they only stock things they can sell cheaply. My wife shops there all the time, so if you want specific prices on items, just let us know, we can get them for you. I figure we save a fair amount shopping there.

Then your Aldi's is a rare exception I would say. I have 2 by me and they both have a great selection. I do prefer Save-A-Lot over Aldi's though.

DiscussDisney said:
I have to be honest. I went to Aldi's today for the first time and wasn't very impressed. I guess I was expecting more from reading these boards. I didn't find the prices that great, considering all the supermarkets around by me double up on the coupons. Also, the selection wasn't really much...at least at the store by me. 99% of the merchandise was a generic off-brand that wasn't much cheaper than the brand name bought in regular supermarkets. I wouldn't travel to it, IMO.

Aldi does have limited selections & usually just their brand or off brand items. On occasion they have store brand items - I actually wonder if they get a lot of their own brand items from Kraft because they seem to carry a lot of Kraft products when they have name brand things.

I have saved a ton of money at Aldi - ours is only about a 5 minute drive from our home.

I would give it a try at least once & see what you think. Take a list of what your normally buy & comparison shop for prices. I'm not fond of their bananas or potatoes. Everything else we have tried from there has been great though. My family loves the bagels, DD's will only eat Aldi "Cocoa Pebbles", only drink Aldi apple juice.

Like I said, at least check it out once. Why not! :)

We went to the Aldi's near us after reading these boards and we are hooked. Its worth the drive just to check it out. They may have off-brands and Aldi brands, but everything we have tryed so far is just as good if not better than name-brand. DH is a brand snob and he was very skeptical, not anymore. We have saved ALOT. We went from $150 a week at Wal-mart to $75 a week @ Aldi's.

DiscussDisney said:

DH and I thought the same thing when we went. My mom swears by their produce, maybe we went on a bad day, but everything looked like it had about 1 or 2 days left before being too ripe to eat. I'd rather pay .33 cents/ pound for banana's that I know will last a week than pay .29 cents/pound and have to throw half of them away in a few days. I do better at Meijers or our local store with double and triple coupons. JMO!

Ours is far so we try to include it with something (even if it's just a big outlet shopping trip). Be sure to bring a cooler and blue ice. We aren't real picky on many things. The biscuits, american cheese and lunchables alone make it worth while.

Our Aldi's is 30 miles away and I used to go there when I had enough cash to do a major shopping trip (around $150) and also tried to combine it with other errands like Walmart, haircuts, taking the kids to a different park, or eating out.

With gas prices so much higher I try to go to the one 50 miles away. I know that doesn't sound sensible but I'm in that city twice a week and H works there so I'll send him with a list and some cash when we need a few items or stop myself on a day I'm up there.

It's definately worth shopping there for the savings and we've only found a few items we didn't care for.

Calie

I have quite a few by me but I still only go sometimes but not all the time. I do not like their pasta and have been very disappointed in their bread lately. It seems to me like it always feels wet and gummy. My son doesn't like the taste and it's been the last couple of times so we are finished buying bread there. I do go for my baking items but if Cubs has their items on sale, then that is the better buy for me.

I am another one who says give it a chance, you may like it, you may not.

Make sure to take a quarter for your cart and either bring your own bags or you can buy them there.

I love to stock-up at Aldis. Soups, can goods, milk, eggs, cheese, frozen foods are all great! You may have trouble doing weekly shopping there because of the limited selection, but to stock-up on basics they are great!!

I shop there for some staples where brand doesn't matter. But - they don't have any fresh meat. It's all frozen and has preservatives and what not. There are a few things there that are better than the grocery store - bagged spinach for one. And their over-the-counter meds are super cheap.

The value totally depends on what foods your family eats. I just use them to supplement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter