Alaskan Family dines at Disney Day 1 & 2

DawnAK

Mouseketeer
Who we are:
Me aka Pooh-30 year old female, I love to eat and try new things. Planner of trip and PS's.
DH aka Tigger. 6'4 31 year old male, wears Tigger ears for the entire trip. Loves good food (aka "normal food"), the more the better! Not as adventurous as me, but is getting a little more daring.
DMom aka Piglet. Loves to eat, likes to be adventurous with her eating. Can pack away lots of food without showing a weight gain. She follows the plan and doesn't complain.
Dsis aka Eyeore 12 year old little sister. A little on the picky side but does find something to eat without too much complaining.

None of us is particularly hard to please since where we live doesn't have a lot of great restaurants. Dining truly is one of the most important part of our vacations.

We are all staying together off property, and have a kitchen in our room. Most breakfast is eaten on the way out the door to the parks. We arrive in the parks together, sometimes splitting up during the day and meeting back up later. Most meals are together but sometimes it will be just Tigger and I.

Day 1 Saturday, Jan 3
EPCOT

Breakfast in room

Lunch: Sunshine Season Foor Fair-the Land
BBQ restaurant
Tigger and I both got the BBQ Pork sandwich with Fries
we split a large diet coke and chocolate chip cookes.
Piglet also got the BBQ pork and fries, Eyeore got the chicken strips and fries. This quick and convenient meal hit the spot for all of us. We were able to get a seat with no problem, even though it was a Saturday afternoon at lunch time. We will go back here again for an inexpensive lunch.

Dinner: PS at 6pm at Germany's Biergarten
Tigger has been wanting to eat here for our last couple trips but I wasn't all that excited about it. And since I am the planner...tee-hee!
Anyway, it was finally his time to try Biergarten.
We arrived right on time for our PS and were seated immediately. The tables are set for a group of 8, so we were seated with another family of 4. They didn't say anything when we were seated with them, so it was a little uncomfortable but they were already done with their meal and left shortly. Another family of 4 was seated with us, they weren't very talkative either but at least we all smiled and said our hellos. We all enjoyed the food here and Tigger especially enjoyed the beer. Our waiter asked Tigger if he wanted an American sized beer or German sized beer. Tigger, of course, wanted GERMAN SIZED (super size it). I could barely lift the giant glass it came in! We must have had great timing because the line for the buffet was very short on our first trip through but the second time around there was a huge line.
Tip-there are 2 lines to the buffet, if one is long, check out the other one. People tend to be "sheep" and follow the group, be an oddball and go to the other line.
We enjoyed the entertainment during this meal. The music is great fun, just don't expect to have a conversation when they are playing, it is very noisy in there.
Food we enjoyed: the yummy breads, sauerkraut, potato salad, the curry ketchup on sausage, saurbraten, and roast pork. The desserts were yummy too, the only thing I remember is some sort of vanilla sauce that I drizzled on everything.
While we were leaving, the band started playing again and much to Eyeore's embarassment Tigger, Piglet and I went to the stage and did the chicken.
I was surprised that I liked Biergarten as much as I did. I am not huge fan of sausage and thought there wouldn't be much I liked. I certainly did not leave hungry!

Day 2 Sunday Jan 4
Animal Kingdom day

The plan today was to have breakfast at Rainforest Cafe for (we all enjoy it, especially Tigger who LOVES breakfast food), we had gift cards that Santa had put in our stockings.
However, Piglet woke up with a scratchy throat and a pink, itchy, goopy eye. She feared she had pink eye so the morning was spent just down the road from our resort at the health clinic. Thankfully, they got us in and out in about an hour and we were on our way to Animal Kingdom with thoughts of a good hot breakfast on our minds. Much to our disappointment, RFC stops serving breakfast at 10:30 and it was 10:35! Big time bummer! This day was not starting out very well at all. With the gang a little cranky we pushed on in search of breakfast. We came upon a baked goods and coffee cart. I got a sticky bun and latte and Piglet got a big muffin and latte. I ate mine without complaining but Piglet and Eyeore did not enjoy their baked goods and Piglet is a coffee snob and didn't enjoy her coffee either.

lunch: Chakradani Chicken Shop
Tigger got an order of potstickers
So did Eyeore and Piglet. No one really cared for this meal. The broth was very salty and the potstickers (3 or 4 of them) were blah. We wouldn't get this again.
I got a big soft pretzel with cheese. I love these and only get them while I am at Animal Kingdom. It's become a bit of a tradition for me.
We were all looking forward to our dinner tonight, so the fact that the rest of the day's meals were a bust was ok with us!

Dinner plan: PS at Boma 7pm. The park was scheduled to close at 6 today but when we got there, found out it closed at 5pm. So, we got to AKL an hour early for our PS. We browsed around the hotel and checked in for our PS about 45 minutes early. We were given a buzzer but the lobby was crowded and we figured it would be a while. We used the restroom and washed up and our buzzer went off. Yay, great timing!
We were very pleased with our meal (our third at Boma for dinner). Some favorites of mine were: Curry pasta salad, kool salad, curried coconut seafood stew, chicken pepper pot, chicken corn porridge, coconut curry cauliflower, fufu, cous cous marakesh, coconut curry porkloin and of course the awesome desserts especially the zebra domes and pineapple cheesecake. I swear, I could just eat the soups and desserts and be completely happy at Boma! We will continue to visit Boma on our future visits, maybe we will try breakfast next time.

I will post more later. Let me know if you have any questions. Dawn

What great reviews! Thanks!

Solotraveler:earsboy:

PS: Hope the half-marathon went well for you. I'm signed up for the 2005 full marathon:teeth:

I am so hungry now. I'm glad you liked the Biergarten. We went there on our last trip and my DH loved it so much that we ate there again! I find myself drifting to the same restaurants sometimes, so to hear reviews like this gives me great courage to move on to new things!

D4D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter