Alaska

The Orlando Sentinel is a very real paper.

The news was included in a release from the park last week announcing awards to multiple cruise lines that had been competing for the limited number sailing slots. The permits cover sailing in Glacier Bay between 2010 and 2019.

Disney Cruise Line spokeswoman Rena Langley said the company pulled its application because "for now, Glacier Bay doesn't fit in our future itinerary plans."

But Langley said that doesn't necessarily rule Alaska out as a future cruise destination for Disney. "We're continuing to explore many future itinerary options and, certainly, Alaska remains on our radar."

Look what i found...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...el-brief-disney-alaska-cruise,0,3778357.story

Is this a real paper? or is it a gossip paper? Puts a damper on any theories of Disney going to Alaska in the near future.:sad:

I don't think it puts a damper on going to Alaska. The article carefully states "Glacier Bay doesn't fit in our future itinerary plans." and "Alaska remains on our radar." There are plenty of alternative destinations that wouldn't require a 10 year commitment on DCL's part.

Some of the alternatives to Glacier Bay were discussed here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2059954

Sorry to anybody who read the unedited version of this post and found it snotty! It was NOT my intention to be snotty. I shouldn't reply to posts during a busy work day!

I hope they will go to Alaska 2011! Glacier Bay would be nice but I would be just as happy with going to Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan if it were on a Disney ship! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

We gave up waiting, so after 10 Disney Cruises we are taking our first non-Disney cruise (on the Norwegian Pearl) to Alaska in June. We'll go to Glacier Bay and Ketchikan and Skagway and Juneau, plus we can fly in and out of SeaTac on Southwest (much cheaper flights than to Vancouver). It will be strange, but at least we don't have to worry about being on another ship and running into Magic or Wonder in port. Yet. :-) What wasn't painful at all was the price compared to a seven day Magic cruise for four with a balcony stateroom!

As previously reported on these boards, DCL already has signed contracts for several ports in Alaska for upcoming years.

This latest "news" only pertains to Glacier Bay which is heavily regulated regarding how many ships/boats can visit the area for environmental purposes.

The permits cover sailing in Glacier Bay between 2010 and 2019...."We're continuing to explore many future itinerary options and, certainly, Alaska remains on our radar."

On their "radar?" Yes, certainly....for a destination DCL decided can be blacked out from their plans for at least another decade. :rolleyes2

Does anyone know how sales are going for Adventures By Disney's 2009 Alaska Tours? I wonder if that will have any impact on DCLs interest in sailing Alaska in the future.

As previously reported on these boards, DCL already has signed contracts for several ports in Alaska for upcoming years.

This latest "news" only pertains to Glacier Bay which is heavily regulated regarding how many ships/boats can visit the area for environmental purposes.

Signed contracts? I wasn't aware of that. Do you have any links to that info? I only remember hearing rumors that Disney folk were in the port cities investigating the ports.

We gave up waiting, so after 10 Disney Cruises we are taking our first non-Disney cruise (on the Norwegian Pearl) to Alaska in June. We'll go to Glacier Bay and Ketchikan and Skagway and Juneau, plus we can fly in and out of SeaTac on Southwest (much cheaper flights than to Vancouver). It will be strange, but at least we don't have to worry about being on another ship and running into Magic or Wonder in port. Yet. :-) What wasn't painful at all was the price compared to a seven day Magic cruise for four with a balcony stateroom!

The Pearl is a fantastic ship. The only thing you might be a little disappointed in is the size of a balcony stateroom. It is a little smaller than a cat 6/7. I found our mini-suite (we had an aft facing one) more comparable to DCL's balcony rooms. Feel free to PM me for more pics, information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter