Alaska port or starboard?

ktate82

DIS Veteran
We have a large group going to Alaska 2022 and was wondering is one side of the ship was better than the other to book verandas? We will be on deck 6.

We have a large group going to Alaska 2022 and was wondering is one side of the ship was better than the other to book verandas? We will be on deck 6.
Doesn't really matter on a round trip cruise. What's on one side going out will be on the other coming back. That said, up/outside on deck is best - that way you can go back and forth to see things.

That said, up/outside on deck is best - that way you can go back and forth to see things.

100% this. My first Alaska cruise (on HAL because that is what the running group I was with was on - they changed to RCCL the next year) I splurged on a balcony because "once in a lifetime" (ha!). First, I missed a lot of group hanging out because I felt like I needed to be on that dang balcony to "get my money's worth"; and second, it seemed like every time a cool animal was announced being seen, it was on the other side of the ship.

My second I did interior and was perfectly fine - and hung out with the group a lot more. And SAW a lot more because I was out on deck more.

My Alaskan cruise was my 5th Disney - full of research and previous experience with preferences. I loved my verandah (our family had 2 inside and 2 port side navigator's). I can support either side of the ship...and while, yes, we were on the upper decks for some of the sightings, coffee in the morning watching the mountains pass by was a highlight of our trip. The shore is SO close and beautiful

Agree that it really doesn't matter. But, you are perhaps more eager to look out on the way "up" so Starboard would be good. On the way back you might be feeling that you've already seen the coast.

Thanks everyone. It looks like we can't get rooms in a row on starboard, so that helps make the decision for port side lol.

You probably can get starboard side rooms, but may need to call. The DCL website does not show all available cabins and tends to default to port.

It's Alaska. The views will be spectacular on either side. But we spend most of our time on the top deck (on HAL) wrapped in a blanket enjoying Split Pea soup they were handing out on the deck. Our friends did splurge of a balcony, and we did sneak out there a few times.

You probably can get starboard side rooms, but may need to call. The DCL website does not show all available cabins and tends to default to port.

We did call. One room in the block of veranda rooms isn't open and one of the inside rooms in a block isn't open. They all are on the port side, so that made it easier.

Generally, either side is fine since it's a roundtrip cruise. The top deck is better suited for the glacier day, while the verandah is perfect for the Inside Passage. Here are some thoughts to keep in mind:

1. If you are in a large group, the first sea day will be spent in socializing and exploring the ship. There is also a formal night that day. You won't really be on your verandah much.

2. Glacial fjords are cold, so you will have to keep moving around. The top deck - not your verandah - provides that room and also a panoramic view. On the flip side, you can wrap yourself silly on your own verandah - in your PJs if you like!

3. On the way down - when the exploration is over - you want to slow it down and get some "me" time. That's when you will be on your verandah. This is also a full day cruising through BC's Inside Passage, which - for us - is the most beautiful part of this trip. The ship hugs the coast on that last day - and the port side is where you want to be.

Someone mentioned in another thread about avoiding port side because of possible smoke from smoking section. Is that something to consider when deciding?

LAX

Someone mentioned in another thread about avoiding port side because of possible smoke from smoking section. Is that something to consider when deciding?

LAX
Yes, we were forward, port side stateroom 8006. During the glacier day when the Wonder stands still (wind was also calm), we went out on our verandah and it was covered in ash with smoke rolling down the side from the smoking section on the open deck above. Smokers were hanging over the railing flipping their ashes and puffing away. We had an adjoining stateroom with our daughter's crew and their verandah was a mess as well. I called guest services and they roped off the section next to the railing so that ashes were not dropping. However, the smoke still came down, even when they rotated the ship so the other side could see the glacier. Why they don't have smokers aft or in the engine room is beyond me...some cruise ship are smoke-free. If you have a porthole stateroom you are OK, but with a verandah forward, port side, you take your chances.

Yes, we were forward, port side stateroom 8006. During the glacier day when the Wonder stands still (wind was also calm), we went out on our verandah and it was covered in ash with smoke rolling down the side from the smoking section on the open deck above. Smokers were hanging over the railing flipping their ashes and puffing away. We had an adjoining stateroom with our daughter's crew and their verandah was a mess as well. I called guest services and they roped off the section next to the railing so that ashes were not dropping. However, the smoke still came down, even when they rotated the ship so the other side could see the glacier. Why they don't have smokers aft or in the engine room is beyond me...some cruise ship are smoke-free. If you have a porthole stateroom you are OK, but with a verandah forward, port side, you take your chances.

Thanks. I booked starboard just in case. I am assuming the smoking section is fixed and doesn't change.

LAX

I booked Starboard for the same reason. Looks like both sides get an excellent view and if there is a slight chance of smoke blowing in I am unwilling to take it

Thanks. I booked starboard just in case. I am assuming the smoking section is fixed and doesn't change.

LAX

They have moved it before but it has been years at this point. I've the same concerns with tobacco smoke and am not concerned with our starboard balcony.

We've sailed Alaska twice and both times on the port side. Enjoyed the views of the small islands on the ocean side going north then the Alaska coastline going south. Portside is great. You should enjoy it. Bring your binoculars ( a good set but lightweight).

No, I didn't find that to be true during our Disney Alaska cruise a few years ago. We were starboard, and had a great view of the glacier on glacier day. The other side of the ship also got a great view, because the ship rotated midday.

Thanks for the heads up, we were booked into 2 Cat 4B on Port side with connecting staterooms directly under the smoking section but thanks to your post we were able to move to the connecting ones on the starboard side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter