Alaska June 11-18, 2012 - Pictures, Pictures, Pictures

ehagerty

DIS Veteran
Eventually, I will retrofit this first post with a Table of Links, .... and a better introduction ... but for now, I will just start posting pictures...

The always beautiful, ever impressive Tracy Arm - one of 4 "calvings" we saw (the white spray at the waterline)

p746008941-4.jpg

... and for those who are into all things Alaska, click here for a link to last year's complete report on the disboards

================================================

Table of Links

Amtrak - Buffalo NY to Seattle, WA

A Day in Seattle before the Cruise

Seattle - Out and About on the Town

Embarking on the Wonder

Skagway - White Pass Railroad and Bike Down from Fraser Pass

Skagway, continued

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier

Juneau - Whale Watching

Juneau - Whale Watching, continued

Ketchikan - Snorkeling

Ketchikan - Snorkeling, part 2

Ketchikan - Snorkeling conclusion

Tracy Arm Part 1

Tracy Arm Part 2

Tracy Arm Part 3

Tracy Arm Part 4

Tracy Arm Part 5

Tracy Arm Part 6

Issac Walton Inn - Our Caboose

Issac Walton Inn

Issac Walton - Dining, Decorations, Surroundings

Issac Walton - walking outside

Caboose Kids....

Glacier National Park (GNP) - Getting started

Glacier National Park - Part 2

Glacier National Park - continued

Glacier National Park - Logan Pass

Glacier National Park, conclusion

This was a multi-segment, multi-family vacation - starting with taking the train to Seattle......

My parents are seasoned train travellers - although their last train trip was nearly 20 years ago! This was a first for my older sister - and an opportunity to relax with my youngest brother's family.

Waiting in the train station
- DS22, DS24

p486664812-3.jpg

Bringing our luggage on the train

p389359607-3.jpg

Settling into our seats - DS22

p139628483-3.jpg

Breaking out the deck of cards

p83354188-3.jpg

.... in the lounge car - DN9, DB40-ish

p549733202-3.jpg

Dining while watching the small towns go by - DB, DN6 (Maucaley Caulkin look-alike - should play him in "Son of Home Alone")

p285273369-3.jpg

Relaxing with mom (who is not cooking, or at work) - DN11, DSiL
p806214202-3.jpg

Enjoying complimentary champagne

p290153488-3.jpg

Or dinner, with a free bottle of wine given away at a wine and cheese tasting

p91107663-3.jpg

Sidebar - the wine tasting was a real slice - the attendants literally read the label on the back of the bottle - unfortunately, on this particular bottle, what was written as "with notes of anise" was read aloud as "with notes of anus", which resulted in no end of merriment and riffing at our table ("well, that stinks" - "must be a crappy wine"... you get the idea) - weeks later, it still makes me laugh out loud - as a matter of fact, the malaprop was such a hit, I really think they should read it that way every time, on purpose!​

Breakfast, in anticipation of sailing with Mickey

p342495769-3.jpg

Looking out the back of the train

p482280736-3.jpg

Sunset over Montana

p914534924-4.jpg

I absolutely adore riding the train! Took a trip from Miami to Oakland (via D.C. and Chicago) and was just plastered to the window in my sleeper for much of the trip. So beautiful to watch nature unspoiled. On my return, two gentleman who were in the same sleeper car as me were also on a Miami to Chicago trip with me about a year prior...and we all remembered each other! That was fun, and we ate pretty much all our meals together.

Ok, getting back to your trip...looking forward to hearing all about Alaska!

I absolutely adore riding the train! Took a trip from Miami to Oakland (via D.C. and Chicago) and was just plastered to the window in my sleeper for much of the trip. So beautiful to watch nature unspoiled. On my return, two gentleman who were in the same sleeper car as me were also on a Miami to Chicago trip with me about a year prior...and we all remembered each other! That was fun, and we ate pretty much all our meals together.

Ok, getting back to your trip...looking forward to hearing all about Alaska!
That was pretty much my summary from my VIA Rail trip from Toronto to Vancouver last year! I could do a comparison of various dimension between the two experiences, but most people don't have the ease of that option like we do, living near Niagara Falls, NY.

Hope you enjoy the "ride" of the trip report. I have many pictures to post!

Well - we arrived at the Amtrak station around 11:00 - about one half hour after scheduled arrival. This was pretty good, but not quite perfect for my mega-plan for the car service to shuttle 12 people in relays of 4 people from train station to Pan Pacific Hotel to Church (St James Cathedral for noon Mass) and back. 3 of us missed Mass, but we accepted the fact the 9 made it as a very good thing. Nonetheless, by the time everyone returned from Mass, paid the driver, etc we were more than willing to do something easy for lunch - like go downstairs from the Pan Pacific to the Whole Foods in the same complex for lunch.

Whole Foods for lunch - had something for everyone.....

...for my brother's family, it had variety and familiarity (since they live in proximity to one in Columbus Ohio)

p683591128-3.jpg

.... for my parents and sister - it had variety and quality

p609667975-3.jpg

... for my sons (and brother, and father), it had an excellent range of beers

p561460160-3.jpg

... for DH, it had COFFEE

p825159183-3.jpg

... and for a friend of 40+ years (who lives in Seattle), it had a time a place to visit (one of these days, I will learn to stop providing verbal directions, hence the lip pucker, to the photographer with my camera, before the shot is taken.... I have a LOT of this type of picture....)

p872715886-3.jpg

We were also very happy with our Priceline Pan Pacific, both on quality and price

p928057166-3.jpg

Our day-time view from the Pan Pacific

p886263663-3.jpg

Exploring Seattle - on foot

p536735414-3.jpg

DN11 showing her track form

p408549769-3.jpg

Taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island
(bought a "ten pack" - worked out to about $6.20 per person, round trip)

p232546585-3.jpg

I have to say, I have been in Seattle 4 days in my life. Each of those days was (a) sunny, (b) 70's, and (c) had a clear view of Mt Rainier. My friend says this is not normal...

p931301302-4.jpg

p985459242-5.jpg

p792514109-4.jpg

Seattle skyline

p732539756-5.jpg

Walking the piers at sunset

p904290519-4.jpg

View of the needle from our hotel room, at night

p567395164-3.jpg

Gorgeous shots of Mt. Rainier! And I totally agree with Whole Foods - it's one of those places everyone can find something in.

30 minutes late on Amtrak? That's pretty darn good!

You take some of the most beautiful photographs. Can't wait to see and hear more.

Jill in CO

I was not expecting this, but there was a complimentary (free!!) shuttle from the Pan Pacific to Pier 91. I went down to get more details and there was a shuttle leaving then with one other person. I hopped in with the intention of getting the checkin process started at the pier, calling back to the other "planners" with this happy state of affairs.

The check-in facility was more Disney-like than the Vancouver set-up...

p305355661-3.jpg

Boarding is via ramp...

p392275786-3.jpg

...but once on board, there are many familiar scenes / images...

p8882338-3.jpg

p277373751-3.jpg

p442400058-3.jpg

p498218501-3.jpg

As well as views you can only see from Seattle

p494742246-3.jpg

p401464931-5.jpg

p477682045-4.jpg

Looking back toward Seattle, after leaving the harbor (needle on left, Rainier on right)

p390349334-4.jpg

You take some of the most beautiful photographs. Can't wait to see and hear more.

Jill in CO
Thank you - I remember you from another post (Dec 2010 - complimenting a CM from your town) - many more pictures to come!

Joining in! It is so fun to read a big-family report like this! And I could have read an entire TR about your train journey. :rotfl: I have always wanted to do one - maybe DD and I will book a train trip sometime. Could be fun!

I have to say, I have been in Seattle 4 days in my life. Each of those days was (a) sunny, (b) 70's, (c) clear view of Mt Rainier. My friend says this is not normal...
As a native of the Pacific Northwest, I agree with your friend!! That is truly remarkable. pixiedust:

The terminal definitely looks a step above Vancouver! And more gorgeous shots of Seattle and Mt. Rainier.

Thanks - do you take Amtrak often?

I have not been on Amtrak in a few years, but when I was going to school in Miami, and also when I first moved to Jacksonville after that, it was my mode of transportation back home to Chicago. I love the train! Nature unspoiled (Pennsylvania is incredible), and very difficult for anyone to find me for a few days! Peace, quiet, and relaxation! And the stop in Washington D.C. was always a treat. I typically visited one museum/site during each stop. Capitol Building, Smithsonian Museums, White House, etc. And to this day, I still think D.C.'s First Class Lounge is the best!

I was not expecting this, but there was a complimentary shuttle from the Pan Pacific to Pier 91. I went down to get more detals and there was a shuttle leaving then with one other person. I hopped in with the intention of getting the checkin process started at the pier, calling back to the other "planners" with this happy state of affairs.

I was on the June 11th to Alaska, too! As a resident of the Seattle area, I can't believe what a bonehead I am for not getting pictures of Mt Rainier!!! I'm a first-time cruiser, and was still taking it all in. We got separated from my sister, my daughter, and my mom, so I spent the sail away party on the upper deck looking for them. I wish I would have gotten better pics, because the day we left Seattle has the best weather of the whole trip! (and actually, I feel we got really lucky with the weather in the ports. Ketchikan was the only city we had rain! :) )

I was on the June 11th to Alaska, too! As a resident of the Seattle area, I can't believe what a bonehead I am for not getting pictures of Mt Rainier!!! I'm a first-time cruiser, and was still taking it all in. We got separated from my sister, my daughter, and my mom, so I spent the sail away party on the upper deck looking for them. I wish I would have gotten better pics, because the day we left Seattle has the best weather of the whole trip! (and actually, I feel we got really lucky with the weather in the ports. Ketchikan was the only city we had rain! :) )
PLEASE - feel free to chime in and comment on any post - you were THERE! Hope you enjoy the opportunity to "re-live" the experience through the pictures (all of which, by the way, are available to "copy" from disboards - I am not sensitive about people taking copies for themselves - assuming it is for personal use, of course!)

Your pictures are really good ! Looking forward to see more... thanks for posting.
Thank you for the encouragement. I sit here with a backlog of MANY Disney-related photos, and this helps me focus on where the interest is!

For reference, we had more sunshine last year - I did not mind the gray or mist, I just decided not to bother standing on the platform of the train for the ascent (like I did last year) as I was unlikely to get better pictures. So, if you want beautiful pictures from the railroad climbing TO Fraser Pass,

Click Here for Table of Links to 2011 Alaska pictures

===============================

You can't let weather be a "factor" on vacation in Alaska (or, Seattle, apparently, for that matter). Go with what you get (be open to anything).

One of the interesting dimensions to port in Alaska, is that, with mountains all around you, everything is "close in" - the dock is very close to the mountain

p474032598-3.jpg

The rail line is very close to the dock / mountain

p984222192-4.jpg

We elected to repeat the bike ride down the mountains (little over 3000 ft) because (a) we enjoyed it last year and (b) my brother likes to bike and he was not with us last year. We got off the train in Fraser Pass (relatively high elevation for the area - note sub-alpine vegetation....)

p198370418-3.jpg

We don our helmets and choose our bikes

p401576777-3.jpg

...get our instructions (minimal)

p61751496-3.jpg

and survey the route

p495239713-4.jpg

For the engineers in the audience, this "one sided" bridge was designed to connect two tectonic plates, which are likely to shift. With this design, the bridge is more likely to withstand a shift. My DB is a civil engineer for roads - he was most interested.....

p425819809-3.jpg

There are planned stops for pictures

p114873784-4.jpg

... this one, across the valley

p488658941-4.jpg

Here, the White Pass train we took to Fraser Pass earlier, is on its descent back to Skagway. This view, across the valley...

p406394925-4.jpg

Same train, but with the passenger cars rather than the locomotive...

p334699119-4.jpg

Back in Skagway, DS takes a photo of a vintage car like his future grandfather-in-law has...

p890443503-3.jpg

... and shows the scale of the snow-remover apparatus..

p850796742-3.jpg

...fun with statues

p932086641-3.jpg

... the newly added Wonder painting on the rocks by the ship

p925702405-3.jpg

and a sense of place, returning to the ship

p770303354-4.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter